New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

On 9/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, mkh103 said:

I feel this takes away from the people who over the years have achieved a certain status by staying LOYAL to the line.  Why stay LOYAL now when you can buy the perks?

Excellent point - if someone can buy their way to the same or similar perks...they are no longer perks...they're purchased commodities.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Wow.... Really. Why can’t people pay for extra perks?  

It is a little bit like TSA pre-check. If everyone has it then it really is of no benefit to anyone. And yes, I realize the analogy is not quite the same as pre-check is bought and not acquired. But it is of little benefit if everyone is in that line instead of the regular line.

On 9/28/2019 at 8:19 AM, Ocean Boy said:

It is a little bit like TSA pre-check. If everyone has it then it really is of no benefit to anyone. And yes, I realize the analogy is not quite the same as pre-check is bought and not acquired. But it is of little benefit if everyone is in that line instead of the regular line.

I always think it's funny when people complain about TSA Precheck lines being longer. Even if everyone did buy precheck (which they won't), you still do not have to take your shoes or jacket off or take electronics out of your bag. So much less hassle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zee890 said:

I always think it's funny when people complain about TSA Precheck lines being longer. Even if everyone did buy precheck (which they won't), you still do not have to take your shoes or jacket off or take electronics out of your bag. So much less hassle.

Plus you normally don't go through the naked scanner with TSA Pre.

I just got off the Symphony yesterday with the Key. Still some kinks, but overall we loved it.

Getting onboard was one of the best parts. We were running late and it had been a frustrating morning. Came in to a busy terminal and long line - we walked right through, which was great.

The lunch was in the Main Dining Room. Guest Services sent us to the wrong level, so it took a second to get redirected. The food itself was great, but I could tell the servers were stressed and stretched thin (I've worked on ships and in hospitality before - I know this had to be a program corporate implemented without considering how it would impact those doing the legwork). I think it took a solid 1.5 hours for lunch just due to the waiting between courses. Still worth it.

Activity times were scant, but worth it. Rock climbing it was just me and my boyfriend with one other key guest. Ice skating, we got entirely to ourselves. The crew at the ice skating said during non-key hours you can barely move on the ice due to how packed it is. To me, that's worth it. We had an itenary change that therefore changed a few of the activities day 2 onwards and due to our sea days and port days being different than originally planned, we did not have time (or energy) to make the rest. We decided to do ziplining on our own the last day and there was no line.

They did a great job constantly keeping us informed. We would have different key paperwork informing us of changes, etc every evening.

We did not get a fruit plate, but we did get Key shaped chocolate the first night.

The shows was also a nice and helpful perk. It was great to walk right through, past the line and get great seats. If you get to a show 30-40 mins in advance, even without the Key, you should get decent seats. Or at least that was the case for the days/times I went. Still nice not to wait in line.

The breakfast was good, but stressful

Went to deck 5 and were told the breakfast was on deck 4. Went to deck 4 and there was Key signage but it was empty and the one restaurant manager insisted breakfast was on deck 3 after I emphasized The Key multiple times and showed him my card. Went to deck 3 and stood in a huge line for a few minutes until deciding to just go directly to the podium and asked and was told it was on deck 4 again. I explained we were sent down and he sent us back up. By the time we got back up (this whole thing took 45 mins because we had our luggage and debark morning it's nearly impossible to get an elevator) The Key breakfast was packed. It was good, not great and the whole situation kind of ruined our appetite because we were shorter for time. They did not have any fruit smoothies, even though the menu states it, but the food did come out hot and fresh.

Debarking was nice - we were able to walk right through.

Overall we enjoyed the perks with The Key. We got it at the price of 19.99 and I would say it was worth that price. If they bulked up the activities more (like they were in the beginning) I would consider paying 24.99, but not more than that.

We were two adults traveling, so I think it depends on your party size and your interests.

Edited by Zee890
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cruising Cheryl 61 said:

I have a question I have a device it’s similar to the pacemaker but it’s for my tummy I am not suppose to go through the thing how do I tell them I have my cards just this will be my first experience any help is greatly appreciated 

You might want to make a separate post for this, to make sure someone answers you?  My suggestion is a drs note, but thats just a guess?

2 hours ago, Cruising Cheryl 61 said:

I have a question I have a device it’s similar to the pacemaker but it’s for my tummy I am not suppose to go through the thing how do I tell them I have my cards just this will be my first experience any help is greatly appreciated 

This isn't related to The Key program at all.  

Any time you're going through a metal detector, just tell the staff "I have an implant and need to do the wand" and they'll pull you aside.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone out there has used the Key program on the Independence. We are considering it for our cruise next year, and I can’t seem to find anywhere if it includes special hours just for the rock climbing wall and flow rider, or if there are any special times for the water slides or other special features on the ship as well. Thanks very much!

10 hours ago, MouseGirl said:

We are considering it for our cruise next year, and I can’t seem to find anywhere if it includes special hours just for the rock climbing wall and flow rider,

You will likely get one hour of each during the sailing. You can also post this question in some of the upcoming sailings' Roll Call threads - someone there may have Key and give you feedback.

Edited by Biker19

I am traveling solo next year and was going to buy voom on sale (last year I paid 11.99) I just bought the key for 19.99

so 8*7=56

56-35 chops =21

So $3 a day for the other benefits that I may use. Had I had the Key last year I would have priority debarkation that would have got me to the airport in time, the $400 in flight change and additional cab fee would have paid for the key +.

I don't get the priority embarkation in Vancouver next year but the rest of it is a plus for me. at $24.99 I wasn't interested.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 1:47 PM, LMaxwell said:

Guidelines will be changing.  

Similar to what was happening with people booking multiple suites and cancelling at final payment; created a glut of inventory.  RCI needs to manage demand with inventory.  Luckily, RCI is more savvy than the consumer with this product so they'll win either way. 

I am sorry to be late to the party. After a July cruise on HOTS, I didn't visit CC.  We just booked last week on Symphony and am trying to catch up.

Will the guidelines be changing for all Cruise Planner purchases, or just The Key? I can't recall canceling anything once I buy it.  However, I am interested in the Coco Beach Club pass.  Since it is new and not up and running, I was thinking that I could cancel it if the reviews were not favorable. 

Just booked Brilliance 5-day out of Tampa in January, and noticed a new offering, “The Key”. (My last two cruises were on Celebrity so I missed the launch.) Now that we’re finally Diamond, and have extra privileges already, is The Key even worthwhile? It seems like they are basically selling the privileges afforded suite guests to anyone... am I understanding this correctly? (We’re not suite guests.) I’d appreciate any advice. Hubby loves the Flowrider, but Brilliance isn’t even a Flowrider ship, so can’t find any benefit at this point...

26 minutes ago, Betsynh said:

It seems like they are basically selling the privileges afforded suite guests to anyone... am I understanding this correctly?

Not quite. The key may get you some suite like benefits but not all. It doesn’t get you access to the suite or concierge lounge. Personally, I don’t think the key is worthwhile but that’s an individual decision. Some people obviously think it is worth it.

• Like 1

Unless you planned to get internet service, the key may not be a huge benefit for you.  For me, as a Diamond Plus who doesn't use the internet on a cruise, it's not worth it.

I normally cruise on Oasis class ships.  The boarding area allows me to board after the suites/Pinnacles, so early boarding is already included.  I am able to get reserved seating on some shows, but I don't want to sit in the first few rows that are reserved for the key.

We purchase the UDP so having lunch on boarding day doesn't mean anything to me/us.  I leave the ship as early as possible and I am in line by 6:15 to make an early flight so I don't even give breakfast a consideration.

The only benefit I can see that would be a benefit to me is being able to drop off my carryon.  So far, this hasn't been a problem as I don't have anything heavy in it, and if I did, I'd use a rolling small bag.

I do realize some love the key, but to me, it is overpriced in most cases and having to have everyone in the cabin get it, even if it's a 7 year old, makes no sense to me.

Thanks... all of your comments make sense to me! I try to disconnect when cruising, so with each of us getting a 24-hour internet pass, we can stagger them and have enough to check in when needed. I’ve been on the Oasis twice and had to reserve tickets for the shows. Is that still the case? If so, this is like double insurance? You know you have a seat, but if you want a preferred seat (according to the ones Royal thinks are best), you should pay a boatload of extra $$? Sounds like a great way to upcharge people new to cruising...

The Key gives you some very limited time on the activities, and lunch on embarkation to Chops (or other) instead of WJ.  It includes internet.  It offers a place to drop your carry-on bags that get delivered to your cabin while you eat lunch, and breakfast in the MDR on the day you leave the cruise, and not a lot more.  I would guess it is not a value, but that is just my opinion.

jc

• 1 month later...

Hi! I was reading reviews on the KEY and got confused by the reference to the Internet. Many said the additional cost for Key is marginal since they are going to get Surf anyway. We will have 5 people in one stateroom. So if we want to purchase key, it will be $85/day, but it only comes 1 device, which is currently priced at $13/day. So for families in extra large cabins, it does not make sense at all. Is my understanding correct?

6 hours ago, M-H-B said:

Uvadover is correct, each person paying for the Key will get their own code so there are as many concurrent devices as the number of key paying guests. 

Thank you. The downside is that the little kids in the room do not need in the internet but we still have to buy Key for every one of them. On the other hand, it's a port-intensive itinerary, so priority in tendering is attractive...