Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ValerieJo

New Program called "The Key"

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Orsino said:

I happened upon Cruise Compasses for the 2 December and 16 December 7 night cruises on Oasis of the Seas (Eastern) and thought it would be interesting to see if I could figure out The Key Flowrider hours for those cruises. The results were a bit confusing to me because the two cruises show different patterns, so if anyone has (or gets) information on how Oasis is handling FlowRider and The Key Hours for FlowRider, that would be great information for me as it seems Royal is changing how they do things on Oasis. Note: Times on the left column are from the Cruise Compasses and I treat them as fact. Thoughts on the right column are my suppositions and could be off base.

 

2 December 2018

Day 1 : Boogie Board 1:00-2:15 / 4:45-6:00

             Standup 1:00-3:15 / 4:45-7:00

Looks like 2 one hour sessions for The Key

 

Day 2: BB 1:00-6:00

            SU 1:00-6:00

Looks like 0 hours for The Key.

 

Day 3: BB 10:00-6:00

            SU 9:00-6:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

Day 4: BB 9:00-noon / 5:00-7:00

            SU 9:00- noon / 4:00-7:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

Day 5: BB 9:00-11:00 / 4:00-7:00

            SU 9:00- 11:00 / 4:00-7:00

Looks like 0 hours for The Key

 

Day 6: BB 10:00-6:00

            SU 9:00-6:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

Day 7: BB 10:00-6:00

            SU 9:00-6:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

16 December 2018

Day 1 : Boogie Board 12:00-1:30 / 4:30-5:30

             Standup 1:30-3:15 / 5:30-7:00

This confuses me. It looks like they are operating one side of Flowrider only

and alternating between Standup and Boogie. I don't know if the other side

is closed or open for The Key.

Day 2: BB 1:00-6:00

            SU 1:00-6:00

Looks like 0 hours for The Key

 

Day 3: BB 10:00-6:00

            SU 9:00-6:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

Day 4: BB 9:00-11:00 / 3:00-7:00

            SU 9:00- 11:00 / 3:00-7:00

Looks like 0 hours for The Key

 

Day 5: BB 9:00-11:00 / 4:00-7:00

            SU 9:00- 11:00 / 4:00-7:00

 Looks like 0 hours for The Key

 

Day 6: BB 10:00-6:00

            SU 9:00-6:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

Day 7: BB 10:00-6:00

            SU 9:00-6:00

Looks like 1 hour for The Key

 

Based on the times it looks like they removed The Key FlowRider hours from Port Days completely, and are doing something different on Embarkation Day. I hope they spread out the times for Flowrider. I think 9AM works for us, but I would imagine late sleepers would be disappointed if 9AM was the only time offered.

 

did you look at post #480 on page 12 of this thread?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockmom said:

did you look at post #480 on page 12 of this thread?  

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dspcentury said:

I would like to know if anyone has signed up for RCCL Key Program..if you so did you think it was worth it?

 

 

David

Hi! My friend and I signed up for our February 9 cruise. We were getting the voom for one device each anyway AND were getting Chops lunch on embarkation day anyway (such a more refined and relaxing experience then windjammer imo) so this pretty much is dollars a day for us for the other great perks.

 

I will do a full review on just the key program when I get back!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChrissyJon01 said:

I don’t understand why some are upset over this pass

 

I'm not upset in the least.  But why get a suite when all one has to do is buy the key and get most of the benefits including priority boarding/disembarkation?  100 people plus suites and pinnacles won't save any time at all in line.  So for suite people (if your diamond or diamond plus),  I'd just as soon get a balcony and then buy the key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s  exactly what I’m doing this time around November 2019. I got a balcony and the Key. I think it’s a nice add on, especially since it’s only my son and I on this trip. My next cruise in 2020 I will have reached Diamond + status and will have the suite since it will be 3 of us. Happy Cruising 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

It doesn't matter what time you have. You can check in any time after it opens... key or no key.

Agree 🙂. No matter what time they give us, we show up early, and they’ve always let us on.  We try to arrive no later than 11, cuz we want as much ship time as possible 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four of us ladies are leaving our husband's behind and going on a 4 night cruise out of Tampa on Brilliance of the Seas in February. The price for the KEY is 19.00 a day now as they are running a special.  We did take it as it's only 79.00 for the 4 nights. We are all platinum/Emerald already but we thought the perks were ok for the price. Since we don't buy the outrageous drink packages that nobody seems to complain about, it's perfect for us.  I get that it don't work for everyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 12:41 AM, luckyprincess said:

Hi! My friend and I signed up for our February 9 cruise. We were getting the voom for one device each anyway AND were getting Chops lunch on embarkation day anyway (such a more refined and relaxing experience then windjammer imo) so this pretty much is dollars a day for us for the other great perks.

 

I will do a full review on just the key program when I get back!

 

 

Will be interested to read the review. Is this a shorter cruise?  It seems to me that the key program potentially offers better value for 4-7 day cruises than for longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is offered on Brilliance as well? I thought is is limited to big ships as there is no flowrider, Ifly, waterslides or show reservation options on Brilliance. This really does not make sense!

 

Most people just compare the key to the price for Internet and a Chops lunch but both have nothing to do with the idea of a fast track pass.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

This is offered on Brilliance as well? I thought is is limited to big ships as there is no flowrider, Ifly, waterslides or show reservation options on Brilliance. This really does not make sense!

 

Most people just compare the key to the price for Internet and a Chops lunch but both have nothing to do with the idea of a fast track pass.    

The Key is being offered on the BOTS as well.  We are going on the 15 Day, 04 May 2019 TA and the $19.95 Key option is available to us.....The cost would be $600.00 for the two of us.  Not cost effective, since there are minimal amenities on the Radiance Class ships, versus the larger ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

This is offered on Brilliance as well? I thought is is limited to big ships as there is no flowrider, Ifly, waterslides or show reservation options on Brilliance. This really does not make sense!

 

Most people just compare the key to the price for Internet and a Chops lunch but both have nothing to do with the idea of a fast track pass.    

The comparison is made because it comes down to the cost. If you are already planning to get internet and wanted to eat at chops, both of those cost money and in total, add up to a price close to that of The Key. At $3 per person per day more than just the cost of the internet(that’s $42 total more for 2 people) if you were already going to get that internet for 2 devices, that’s not much more money to get the extra perks and a lunch at Chops too. That’s the only properly way to compare it financially. Of course if you weren’t planning to do the Voom, then you would only look at it in terms of the cost of The Key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Questions about "The Key"

 

I have 4 cruises booked on Allure in January and March 2019.  I am a Diamond member  so already get priority boarding and priority disembarkation. 

 

I  do stand up surfing on the flowrider on most hours that it is open.  At times, the line is very long and can take a long time waiting to take a ride. 

 

I am considering purchasing "The Key" mostly for flowrider surfing and show priority seating.  However, I am concerned on how many "Keys" they actually sell.  Does anyone have written verification on how many they sell or observations on how many people have used "The Key" at a particular venue?  There have been posts that they sell only 100 "Keys" but with no proof of same.  My concern is that they will sell too many "Keys" and all/most purchasers will be at the same venue at the same time.  Will I be waiting the same amount of time in a different line that I paid extra for? 

 

Has anyone observed and/or have first hand knowledge of how long lines have been for the "The Key" flowrider lines compared with the non "Key" flowrider lines?  

 

Also, has anyone observed how many people have been in show "Key" show seating areas?

 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 11:08 AM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Have you counted the people that are excited about the Flowrider in this thread alone?

Every 2.nd post they want to use it.... so get in line early! 😁

During the afternoon session reserved for Key yesterday on Oasis there were three staff and zero customers about 20 minutes into the session. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2019 at 11:34 AM, Jimbo said:

No one really knows, so what ever  Thorben-Hendrik  thinks is just his opinion. But we all know for sure it is not unlimited because if it was there is no way they could save 4 or 500 seats at those shows for those that bought "The Key".........

 

The 100 limit was quoted in a travel blog and quoted a crew member. Most of the press releases I've read do not mention a limit or will say its' "capacity controlled" but do not mention a specific number.

 

Obviously, it can't be unlimited but one would think if the program proves to be wildly popular, Royal would try to maximized its potential and sell as many as practical.

 

FWIW, I have no doubt that when the travel blog quoted the 100 limit, it was accurate at the time. But it did state the the program would be limited to just two ships - Liberty and Oasis - and we now know that the program has been expanded to other ships.

 

EDIT: Also, some of the perks have already been changed. For example, the carry-on luggage drop-off has been replaced by early access to stateroom.

 

Edited by HBE4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

 

The 100 limit was quoted in a travel blog and quoted a crew member. Most of the press releases I've read do not mention a limit or will say its' "capacity controlled" but do not mention a specific number.

 

Obviously, it can't be unlimited but one would think if the program proves to be wildly popular, Royal would try to maximized its potential and sell as many as practical.

 

FWIW, I have no doubt that when the travel blog quoted the 100 limit, it was accurate at the time. But it did state the the program would be limited to just two ships - Liberty and Oasis - and we now know that the program has been expanded to other ships.

 

 

I suspect it will vary by ship AND sailing, so there will never be a firm number (for example, they could look at the number of Diamond/Pinnacle on a specific cruise when deciding).   I would say 100 would be a fair base estimate on the larger ships, but we'll never know an exact number.

 

This is how carnival does FTTF and why its often on and off availability.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

During the afternoon session reserved for Key yesterday on Oasis there were three staff and zero customers about 20 minutes into the session. 

 

This is great information. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

During the afternoon session reserved for Key yesterday on Oasis there were three staff and zero customers about 20 minutes into the session. 

 

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder how long this will remain a perk.

 

Did you notice how crowded the non-Key flowrider was?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HBE4 said:

 

 

Did you notice how crowded the non-Key flowrider was?

Packed as usual. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trackhead37 said:

The comparison is made because it comes down to the cost. If you are already planning to get internet and wanted to eat at chops, both of those cost money and in total, add up to a price close to that of The Key. At $3 per person per day more than just the cost of the internet(that’s $42 total more for 2 people) if you were already going to get that internet for 2 devices, that’s not much more money to get the extra perks and a lunch at Chops too. That’s the only properly way to compare it financially. Of course if you weren’t planning to do the Voom, then you would only look at it in terms of the cost of The Key.

Price for a 2 device surf and stream voom internet package for our 10 and 11 day cruise was bought at $18.99 a day.  So $190 for our 10 day cruise vs $400 for The Key. Chops lunch is about $22 each.  Difference vs buying internet and chops lunch vs key is close to $165 for 10 days ($16.50 per day).  Much more than $3 per day.  Prices of the key vs buying surf and steam and chops lunch will vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, frank808 said:

Price for a 2 device surf and stream voom internet package for our 10 and 11 day cruise was bought at $18.99 a day.  So $190 for our 10 day cruise vs $400 for The Key. Chops lunch is about $22 each.  Difference vs buying internet and chops lunch vs key is close to $165 for 10 days ($16.50 per day).  Much more than $3 per day.  Prices of the key vs buying surf and steam and chops lunch will vary.

Those numbers don't look right. My 7 day cruise is about $16.99 per day for the the voom and stream for 1 device. The Key is $19.99 per day per person. $18.99 for voom and stream for 2 devices looks quite a bit low. Even just the standard Voom is like $14 and change per day on 7 day for 1 device. I was wondering if maybe you're looking at 1 device pricing but that would be too high for that. I do have a feeling you're maybe looking at lower Voom option without stream. Do you have screen shots of this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trackhead37 said:

Those numbers don't look right. My 7 day cruise is about $16.99 per day for the the voom and stream for 1 device. The Key is $19.99 per day per person. $18.99 for voom and stream for 2 devices looks quite a bit low. Even just the standard Voom is like $14 and change per day on 7 day for 1 device. I was wondering if maybe you're looking at 1 device pricing but that would be too high for that. I do have a feeling you're maybe looking at lower Voom option without stream. Do you have screen shots of this?

I bought about 3 months ago for our cruises in Feb.  Current prices are a $1 more at $19.99 for 2 surf and stream devices.  

Screenshot_20190107-090416_Samsung Internet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I also paid $18.99 for a two device Surf & Stream for my May Allure cruise--and have the screenshot.  That was the price on 11/21, so 'pre-black Friday' deals.  We also got lunch at Chops during that sale for $17.60 per person.   

 

image.png.49a19dbb0d148cdadff37cbfd99c217a.png

Ah, that explains a lot. So they just left out that a larger than usual sale was going on at the time they purchased the Voom package. My sailing is during 4th of July and also on Allure. Hefty price difference on that. Had i gotten Voom at that discount, then The Key would be a large increase. Their BS 15% sale right now has it at the $32.28 per person per day price though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some people may be over buying internet due to RCs confusing language when you go to add it to the cart. For the packages that are for multiple devices, you need only buy one pacakage-not one for each person! So make sure you are only clicking one passenger, not all of you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Abr155 said:

I think some people may be over buying internet due to RCs confusing language when you go to add it to the cart. For the packages that are for multiple devices, you need only buy one pacakage-not one for each person! So make sure you are only clicking one passenger, not all of you! 

That's what I was thinking too.  Easy to make that error, I think a ton of us have done it on things like this, or on something like a bungalow where only one person gets added, not all 6 that are going to sit in the bungalow.  😉  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, frank808 said:

I bought about 3 months ago for our cruises in Feb.  Current prices are a $1 more at $19.99 for 2 surf and stream devices.  

Screenshot_20190107-090416_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’ll trade you, lol

 

DA893ABD-26FA-4A20-AB0D-11EC06B834D1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...