New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

11 minutes ago, popcicle said:

Really disappointing, might as well put the gates back up and separate us by class again, not much fun to be in steerage eh?   Disney and many others already do this, money is power.......

I don't know. Seemed to me that the folks in steerage on the Titanic were having a blast.... until the ship sunk.

• Haha 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know. Seemed to me that the folks in steerage on the Titanic were having a blast.... until the ship sunk.

Lol, true dat, thinking I would much rather be in steerage anyway. I am on my 6th cruise because I love it, not for the perks!

There are already different classes of cruisers. You get different perks sailing in a suite than you do in other rooms. The  loyalty programs reward members with perks. This is no different, except that it puts a couple of those perks into reach for those of us who can't afford a suite and can't afford to cruise every year.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

5 at 9AM and then it grows to 15 by late morning. 

5 is good, 15 frustrating.  

On the Symphony, they were letting us have 3 (may have been 2 can’t remember) minutes, not just go til you fall.  What are they doing on the Oasis?

Sorry to hear about Noro, and losing a day.  Free cruise is pretty good deal, especially if you don’t personally get Noro.

jc

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

5 is good, 15 frustrating.  

On the Symphony, they were letting us have 3 (may have been 2 can’t remember) minutes, not just go til you fall.  What are they doing on the Oasis?

Seems to vary by staff - but about 2 min per customer (up to 2 wipeouts per newbie). 

50 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Seems to vary by staff - but about 2 min per customer (up to 2 wipeouts per newbie). 

I pretty much thought once you wipeout and end up at the top, they just go on to the next person..............You mean it's not like that anymore? Been a few years since I used the flowrider.......guess things change..................

Edited by Jimbo

37 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

I pretty much thought once you wipeout and end up at the top, they just go on to the next person..............You mean it's not like that anymore? Been a few years since I used the flowrider.......guess things change..................

On our Symphony cruise it was definitely a timed thing, I still think the newbies hog the wave more because of the loading and holding, but it has definitely changed on some ships.

In fact a couple of guys almost got into a fight first day in Barcelona at the dock, and definitely shared harsh words when one guy fell doing a trick immediately dropped in from the top wiped and dropped in again.  The other guy went off on him (crew didn’t say a word).  The guy who had just taken 3 rides said, he only listens to the staff and not a holes in the line.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

4 hours ago, Ralphinsc said:

I think I'm starting to come around to this. Just around $420 to book for three of us on my Symphony cruise, of which about 490 I was going to book anyways for internet. I think I've talked myself into it. This thread has helped. Loved our last Flowrider session in Grand Turk. Now we have an easy excuse to get my DW involved as well. 

One surf and stream package for 3 devices can't be $60 a day.  Might want to check price for the package again.

12 minutes ago, frank808 said:

One surf and stream package for 3 devices can't be $60 a day.  Might want to check price for the package again.

It was meant to say $90 (It's actually right around $98). Shift key got stuck. And for some damn odd reason I cannot edit my old posts. I was buying a single surf and stream for my device and decided to just go ahead and do that instead. 

Just booked The Key for a solo cruise in March on Explorer.

Worked out an extra $50 total once I cancelled Internet and booked The Key so seems like a no-brainer if only to avoid Windjammer on embarkation day.

I don't really care for flow rider, but if it includes special ice-skating hours (I've been ice-skating since I was 9 years old - so 25 years now) then I will be there with bells on!

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, HBE4 said:

The 100 limit was quoted in a travel blog and quoted a crew member. Most of the press releases I've read do not mention a limit or will say its' "capacity controlled" but do not mention a specific number.

Obviously, it can't be unlimited but one would think if the program proves to be wildly popular, Royal would try to maximized its potential and sell as many as practical.

FWIW, I have no doubt that when the travel blog quoted the 100 limit, it was accurate at the time. But it did state the the program would be limited to just two ships - Liberty and Oasis - and we now know that the program has been expanded to other ships.

EDIT: Also, some of the perks have already been changed. For example, the carry-on luggage drop-off has been replaced by early access to stateroom.

Actually those perks only changed for some sailings. We still have luggage delivery on ours. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, popcicle said:

Really disappointing, might as well put the gates back up and separate us by class again, not much fun to be in steerage eh?   Disney and many others already do this, money is power.......

Key vs No Key is way less of a 'class divide' than for people who book suites vs don't.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, luckyprincess said:

Actually those perks only changed for some sailings. We still have luggage delivery on ours. 

Same here. On my cruise it also states luggage drop off... nothing about early room access. I would really like the early room access! 🙂

This doesn't seem too bad of a deal, actually.  These are great perks.

It is 19.99 on our 12-day cruise, so around $480 for 2.  If you get suite perks, plus embarkation lunch at Chops (which is not offered to Suite guests on BOS), it is a lot cheaper than booking a suite by thousands of dollars.  We originally booked a Grand Suite on the Brilliance and they really aren't that great.  There is no lunch in a separate restaurant on BOS.  Only designated seating after you get your food in Windjammer.  We decided to change our reservation to a balcony and purchase The Key. 

I also like the idea of designated seating for the shows so we don't have to rush dinner to get a decent seat.  Priority disembarkation at ports is also a nice plus.  

We would rather pay The Key price with a balcony room and not have to pay 9K or more for a suite to get the perks in a room that is only marginally larger than a balcony.  If this were NCL, it would be a different story.  Their suites and perks are far superior than RCL.

I'm not sure I would do it for more than 2 people, though.

My Oasis sailing in May currently has the key available for $26 Canadian per day -- It includes internet access which cost $18 .. the first day lunch is also I think a decent benefit to avoid the crush on boarding. (Chops is $25 a person but just one off of course) 

Not a great deal but since I was planning to get Internet access and a specialty lunch on board anyway the choice is based on benefits gets to be looking less bad..

Just two of us in the room so for me the priority seating might be worthwhile enough to get it...

• Like 1

RTour... is $26. a sale price for you? Perhaps it’ll go down. I think for the perks ( the no pre cruise of onboard show reservations)  it’s worth it, especially for 2 people.  It may go higher, so book now and if it goes lower you ll just get the refund.  

Enjoy the cruise! Im looking forward to the perks. 

• Like 1

This is a new thing for RCCL in cruise planner you can now purchase THE KEY at $28 per day per person (everyone in cabin must purchase this). It's meant to give you extras has anyone purchased this yet? and is it worth it, Thanks Carole

• Like 1

Started cruising with Royal in 2015. I wish they had The Key option on our first cruise. I think it’s a great idea especially if you buy the internet package anyway. For a few extra dollars per day you get all the other perks as well. Saves from spending the extra $$$$ to get a suite. I really like the drop off option for carry on bags. You can really explore the ship without hassle once you board. And who wouldn’t want to eat at Chops versus the Windjammer on the first day as well???  I will be purchasing this for every cruise I go on 👍🏻❤️

Edited by Torip04

I am leaving on Friday on the Mariner.  I have purchased The Key, the Pre-purchased slot credits, and Hibachi...I think it is a perfect way to a la carte your cruise experience.  Even though this is only a short weekender for my son and I, I love that I can get an upgraded experience on a relative budget.  

I am interested to see if they really do have lunch at Chops on embarkation day as the description states.  Usually only Jamie's does lunch that day.  

While I would love to do a live review, I hope to be able to just relax and enjoy the experience...I will, however come back and report on my experiences with the Key on a short cruise!!

• Like 1

I see quite a few are posting that the Key is cheaper than booking a Suite with the same benefits.

I’m not seeing access to the Suite lounge or reserved lounger area on the pool deck mentioned anywhere though?

Are these exclusively US additional benefits to the Key (I’m from the UK)