New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

11 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Is there a correlation between the implementation of The Key program and the Diamond Plus levels not getting priority boarding?

No, but at Port Canaveral, there used to be a separate line for D+ going into the screening area when first arriving at the terminal which seems to have been eliminated at the same time as the Key program roll out which now join Suites/Pinnacle is a separate line.

Edited by Biker19

This is going the way of the "Skip the Line Passes" in Universal and other amusement parks.  If 10% of the people get the passes and get to go on 3 times as many rides as the other guests those 10%  are now accounting for 25% of the turns on the rides.  This makes the wait for everyone else that much longer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fred30 said:

This is going the way of the "Skip the Line Passes" in Universal and other amusement parks.  If 10% of the people get the passes and get to go on 3 times as many rides as the other guests those 10%  are now accounting for 25% of the turns on the rides.  This makes the wait for everyone else that much longer.

If I go to a theme park (haven’t for most of a decade) at a busy time, I would buy a skip the line pass.  Just like I bought the key.

jc<—— is diamond plus and thinks the Key enhances diamond plus

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, popcicle said:

So what happens if you have a early shore excursion, does that trump the key or are we screwed if key peeps want to go first?

In the list of benefits from when I booked it for an upcoming cruise it lists:  • Priority port of call debarkation. 

5 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

There are going to be a limited number of Key passes sold on each cruise so I really don't see how it's going to have that much of a negative effect on other cruisers. 

Agreed. And not everyone with the Key will be racing to be first off the ship in each port. People who are buying the key have all different reasons for doing so.  

Last cruise I had the refreshment package ( which I always tell myself you dont need it but thats another topic ) and  the BOGO ( which I also tell myself I dont need it but and  buy it anyways) For the more I read the benefits of the key to be honest I dont find it worth it to me 

2 hours ago, fred30 said:

First of all, numerous studies on both the Disney's Fast Pass and Universal's Express Pass have disproved the disgruntled customer's theories that an access pass makes the wait longer for the standard lines.  The people in the fast pass lines would just be in the regular line, making the standard line just as long.  Whether it was the same person riding or a different family makes no difference.  

Secondly, it is your choice whether you want to wait in line or if you want to spend money for time. This is a first world problem, an expensive cruise we are talking about, not somebody not being able to buy groceries because someone had first access to the food.

I too also pay extra for express pass hotels, purchase express passes at any theme park they are available (Sea World, 6 Flags and other random vacation areas) and have also now purchased The Key.  My choice to spend my money the way I see fit.  If I see value in saving time, I will find a way to pay for it and make concessions elsewhere in the vacation. If you make the choice not to purchase it, that is your choice and should be respected. I won't chide you or hate on you for not wanting it.

I don't think there is a for-profit entertainment place in the civilized world where you cannot purchase upgrades to enhance your experience.

4 minutes ago, cured said:

This is a first world problem, an expensive cruise we are talking about, not somebody not being able to buy groceries because someone had first access to the food.

Well there is a news flash for you. Everything we talk about here are first world problems. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Agreed. And not everyone with the Key will be racing to be first off the ship in each port. People who are buying the key have all different reasons for doing so.  

I will agree with the different reasons for purchasing the key program. We purchased for the March 10th Allure cruise 2 adults 2 kids. My wife and i will be mostly interested in the reserved seating for the shows, my kids will use the flow rider, rock wall, zip lining etc..debarkation at ports not a big issue for us, I have asked a few time how many they sell and the reps do not have that info but they can tell you how many are left. The other day when we booked the key they told us that there were only 5 left and this is per person not cabin today when I called to ask more questions they have 13 left so either 8 canceled or they add on as demand increases which kind of makes you wonder how many they are willing to sell. Still going to try it and as we are a March Break cruise and probably at max capacity it should be a good test to see how it will work. 

2 minutes ago, aespo4 said:

I will agree with the different reasons for purchasing the key program. We purchased for the March 10th Allure cruise 2 adults 2 kids. My wife and i will be mostly interested in the reserved seating for the shows, my kids will use the flow rider, rock wall, zip lining etc..debarkation at ports not a big issue for us, I have asked a few time how many they sell and the reps do not have that info but they can tell you how many are left. The other day when we booked the key they told us that there were only 5 left and this is per person not cabin today when I called to ask more questions they have 13 left so either 8 canceled or they add on as demand increases which kind of makes you wonder how many they are willing to sell. Still going to try it and as we are a March Break cruise and probably at max capacity it should be a good test to see how it will work. 

I'll have to look for posts from you when you return since my daughter and I are on Allure May 19th.  We were both doing Voom Surf & Stream and a lunch at Chops anyway (she's an adult daughter).  She'll do rock wall and zip line.  And for us, not having to reserve shows or rush away from dinner to get in line for a good seat sealed the deal for the extra.  We aren't big foodies, so don't buy specialty dining, not doing any expensive excursions, so this is our splurge.  

2 minutes ago, aespo4 said:

I have asked a few time how many they sell and the reps do not have that info but they can tell you how many are left. 

Seriously? If you know how many are left then you must know how many were left before you sold any. I haven't taken a math class in awhile but I believe that number would be the total available.

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Seriously? If you know how many are left then you must know how many were left before you sold any. I haven't taken a math class in awhile but I believe that number would be the total available.

You think it would be that easy. I believe and this is my opinion only, RCCL does not post or tell the reps as they can change the amount at any time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I'll have to look for posts from you when you return since my daughter and I are on Allure May 19th.  We were both doing Voom Surf & Stream and a lunch at Chops anyway (she's an adult daughter).  She'll do rock wall and zip line.  And for us, not having to reserve shows or rush away from dinner to get in line for a good seat sealed the deal for the extra.  We aren't big foodies, so don't buy specialty dining, not doing any expensive excursions, so this is our splurge.  

I will post when I am on the Allure any feedback I will have , but there are others in this group that are on before us and hopefully will have feedback sooner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Just called royal to ask how many key passes were left on our feb cruise and was told 58 and i asked her how many original keys were hteyn and she said 10,000..yeah there aren't even that many people on board!

Funny!!

6 minutes ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

Just called royal to ask how many key passes were left on our feb cruise and was told 58 and i asked her how many original keys were hteyn and she said 10,000..yeah there aren't even that many people on board!

They're "going to need a bigger boat"  :classic_laugh: 

10 minutes ago, GalwayGirl03 said:

That truly made me LOL!

9 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I'm thinking that since embarcation lunch is included in Chops that they will have to limit the number sold unless they seriously enlarge the restaurant☺

During regular lunch days at Chop's the time is from 12:00 to 1:30 and the seating capacity is 100 (on Oasis ships). Wondering how they could expand this since the time starts at 11:30 for The Key.

6 minutes ago, marcg125 said:

During regular lunch days at Chop's the time is from 12:00 to 1:30 and the seating capacity is 100 (on Oasis ships). Wondering how they could expand this since the time starts at 11:30 for The Key.

Is Chops normally open for lunch on embarcation day?

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well there is a news flash for you. Everything we talk about here are first world problems. 

DUH...Which is why it is so amusing that some are getting their panties in a twist over how others spend their money on a vacation for extra perks.  Choices, you make them, I make them, we all make them.  

It is also amusing to see people get so surprised when a for-profit business, whose only obligation is to their shareholders, tries to make that big profit.  If their customers are unhappy, they will vote with their pocketbook, which will make their bottom line fall, which will displease the shareholders.  But, if you go by this thread, this latest profit attempt will be a rousing success.

• Like 2