Jump to content

Recommended Posts



Boarding liberty in less than a month and just found out that my parents need to renew their ID yes we should have got passports but we didn't. 


Anyways the I D they don't get right away, like before, instead of goes to the state office and then something happens and then they get it like 2 weeks 3 weeks later. so instead they get a piece of paper with their picture and their identification information. it's literally like a piece of paper. has anybody had this happen before and we're there any issues???


it does apparently say on it that this was issued from a government agency and this is a version of their ID.


I am just a little worried and I could just be overreacting because it's so close and there's been so many issues that my family has ran into that I'm just hyperactive or preventive whatever lol, so any insight would be helpful


Edited by Rainbowfalls
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cherylandtk said:

In their state, do they get to keep the current ID card and the piece of paper is technically an extension of that ID?  

They don't keep it. It's a temp id paper that has all the info of an id and their picture and that it was issued by a government agency and legal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You do not say where your cruise will take you.  Depending on where you are going a passport may be required.  Still time to get one but will be very expensive.  Your cruise documents will tell you if a passport is required or not.  If you are just going to Mexico you do not need a passport but need something "official".  As someone posted earlier, contact Carnival ASAP so you can get the ball rolling.  I assure you they will deny boarding if you do not have the required paperwork and there will be no refund.  Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds kinda odd, in most states i'm aware of you keep the old ID, even is they HOLE punch it and the paper and old ID together consistute the extension.  What specific State are you From  Seems odd my renewal (full license) came in less that 2 weeks?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It sounds like they will likely get their ID's before the cruise but I have read a couple of threads in the past few years where the temporary paper ID was accepted for a closed loop cruise. As long as it has a picture on it and all of the information that the regular ID would have I see no reason why it wouldn't be accepted since it is an officially issued ID, even if it is temporary (presupposing of course that a passport is not required). As mentioned there is time to get passports, but they would have to submit a copy of the temporary ID with the application and of course that leads to the same question. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For a precise answer more information is needed.

It looks like you are leaving from FL and going to the Bahamas.

1) In which state do your parents reside? What is the official name (Driver's License, Identification card, Military ID, Personal identification card) of the documents needing to be renewed?

2) Also, are your parents US citizens? 



Edited by JennyB1977
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...