Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BENHANDEL

Is a passport card sufficient?

Recommended Posts

WOW!

A passport card WILL work for the Carib on a ship.... no one asked about in a car or Canada.

Again if you already have one (I do like the reason you got one for the kids) by all means use it.

We carry a passport with us everywhere but I rarely get in the water at a beach unless snorkeling (which would be on a boat), always am very aware of where I am.

I would suggest once the kids are 16 to get them a passport, that age is when it's good for 10 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 6:58 PM, BENHANDEL said:

 

When we all got our first passports 2 years ago, hubby thought the card looked "cool" and he wanted the kids to have some sort of portable ID. That's why we have cards...

a whole lot cheaper just to get state issued IDs     they both serve the same purpose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, serene56 said:

a whole lot cheaper just to get state issued IDs     they both serve the same purpose

Not really, with the state issued ID they'd need to bring their birth certs, which they don't need with the passport cards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bobsfamily said:

WOW!

A passport card WILL work for the Carib on a ship.... no one asked about in a car or Canada.

Again if you already have one (I do like the reason you got one for the kids) by all means use it.

We carry a passport with us everywhere but I rarely get in the water at a beach unless snorkeling (which would be on a boat), always am very aware of where I am.

I would suggest once the kids are 16 to get them a passport, that age is when it's good for 10 years...

Maybe not but when discussing alternate travel documentation it can be helpful to mention what they can and cannot be used for. Had I gotten the kids passports at 16 it would have been wasted money since none of them are in a position to do any traveling now that they are on their own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 5:30 PM, coevan said:

it's probably been said a million times on CC, on a closed end cruise a birth certificate and picture ID are sufficient. A passport card is a little more than a picture ID. I personally would never leave U.S. soil without a passport. $100 for 10 years is a bargain, the gold standard of ID. 

 

Actual cost:

 

The fee is $35 and is paid at the acceptance agent facility, usually the post office or county clerk. New Passport (for adults age 16 and older): For a new adult passport book: $110 application fee and a $35 execution fee. The new total fee is $145.Jul 5, 2018

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 6:33 PM, bobsfamily said:

Completely agree, why would anyone get a "card"?

 

If you already have one then use but a Passport is good for all sort of things... we carry ours even if flying within the US, everyone accepts them.

Because for border states, it fits into your wallet for driving across borders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a lot of good and bad information in this thread.

 

I won't leave the country without my Passport Book. Been carrying one since the age of four. 

 

A Passport Book will do everything a Passport Card, EDL, Birth Certificate, or Mickey Mouse Club Card will do.

 

A Passport Book will be accepted as identification by foreign authorities while the others may not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, coevan said:

still a bargain

Only if you can use it for international air travel. For other types of travel there may be alternatives available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moviela said:

There is a lot of good and bad information in this thread.

 

I won't leave the country without my Passport Book. Been carrying one since the age of four. 

 

A Passport Book will do everything a Passport Card, EDL, Birth Certificate, or Mickey Mouse Club Card will do.

 

A Passport Book will be accepted as identification by foreign authorities while the others may not. 

If an alternative form of documentation is acceptable for the cruise then it will be accepted by the foreign authorities from the countries you are visiting. Never heard of a Mickey Mouse Card doing the trick though, got a link to those regulations?😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

If an alternative form of documentation is acceptable for the cruise then it will be accepted by the foreign authorities from the countries you are visiting. Never heard of a Mickey Mouse Card doing the trick though, got a link to those regulations?😉

 

That is not quite correct. A passport card is not accepted by foreign authorities except for Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda.

US law allows a Passport Card to be used to re-enter the USA. A plan from DOS and DHS called "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative"  says in pertinent part:

 

  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States  🗽with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.🛂
  • Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting.👮‍♂️ Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.🛳️

Source:

Link for those w/o Google skills.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moviela said:

 

That is not quite correct. A passport card is not accepted by foreign authorities except for Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda.

US law allows a Passport Card to be used to re-enter the USA. A plan from DOS and DHS called "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative"  says in pertinent part:

 

  • U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) are able to enter the United States  🗽with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.🛂
  • Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting.👮‍♂️ Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.🛳️

Source:

Link for those w/o Google skills.

 

 

Please note that I specifically said "If an alternative form of documentation is acceptable for the cruise" and that statement is 100% accurate because if a country being visited requires a passport then the cruise line could not embark you with anything less. You also omitted the Caribbean as a place where foreign authorities accept the passport card for cruisers (with very limited exceptions). Gotta LOL at you passive aggressive ending. I've been participating in this topic on Cruise Critic for years and I've even read the final regulations themselves (and the proposed ones, for that matter). You won't leave the country without a passport and that's your personal decision and is perfectly fine for you, but other people may make a different decision based on their travel needs and their decision has no impact on you whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 7:48 AM, NavarreCruiser said:

Actual cost:

 

The fee is $35 and is paid at the acceptance agent facility, usually the post office or county clerk. New Passport (for adults age 16 and older): For a new adult passport book: $110 application fee and a $35 execution fee. The new total fee is $145.Jul 5, 2018

 

 

The passport card also carries that $35 acceptance agency fee for first time applications.  So the card is $65 the first time, and the passport is $145.  And that fee is waived for renewals for both card and passports.  So once you get a passport, recurring costs is $110 for 10 years (at current rates), vs $35 for the card.

 

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/passports/forms-fees/Passport Fees Chart_TSG_FEB 2018.pdf

 

What matter is whether a passport card is good enough for your personal travel plans...

 

Me, not so much - I travel internationally for business and pleasure so a passport is required.  But I totally get that a U.S. passport card would be more than good enough for many people that do not intend to travel by air out of the country, and are content to travel by land or sea within North America, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

 You also omitted the Caribbean as a place where foreign authorities accept the passport card for cruisers (with very limited exceptions). 

 

Thank you! So my bottom line is that his card will be accepted where we are going and I do not need to pack his birth certificate. Thanks!

 

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

 But I totally get that a U.S. passport card would be more than good enough for many people that do not intend to travel by air out of the country, and are content to travel by land or sea within North America, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

 

Thank you for specifying the other countries, to add more peace of mind for me. 

 

We would prefer not to get his passport renewed until he's 18. I thought of it as part of the graduation present and would get him more years of trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't use JUST a passport card even on a closed loop cruise. It would only be able to be used as an ID instead of a license. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ManyMore said:

You can't use JUST a passport card even on a closed loop cruise. It would only be able to be used as an ID instead of a license. 

You CAN use JUST a Passport card to board a cruise ship for a closed loop cruise.    Ive watched my friend do it on Carnival AND Royal Caribbean.  That is all he showed.     

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ManyMore said:

You can't use JUST a passport card even on a closed loop cruise. It would only be able to be used as an ID instead of a license. 

Passport card is proof of identity and citizenship and may be used all by itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I found this on the Carnival site. That tells me we will not made a birth certificate in addition to the passport card.

 

U.S. PASSPORT CARD

The passport card will facilitate entry and expedite document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air outside the United States nor travel to Cuba. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book.

The Department of State is issuing the passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book. The card has the same validity period as a passport book: 10 years for an adult (age 16 and older); five years for minors (under 16 years of age).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ryano said:

You CAN use JUST a Passport card to board a cruise ship for a closed loop cruise.    Ive watched my friend do it on Carnival AND Royal Caribbean.  That is all he showed.     

 

 

And I have used an Enhanced Drivers License which has the same function as a passport card in order to board a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ManyMore said:

You can't use JUST a passport card even on a closed loop cruise. It would only be able to be used as an ID instead of a license. 

As pointed out by others...um, no.

 

Why do you post such mis-information?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2018 at 3:04 AM, sparks1093 said:

Please note that I specifically said "If an alternative form of documentation is acceptable for the cruise" and that statement is 100% accurate because if a country being visited requires a passport then the cruise line could not embark you with anything less. You also omitted the Caribbean as a place where foreign authorities accept the passport card for cruisers (with very limited exceptions). Gotta LOL at you passive aggressive ending. I've been participating in this topic on Cruise Critic for years and I've even read the final regulations themselves (and the proposed ones, for that matter). You won't leave the country without a passport and that's your personal decision and is perfectly fine for you, but other people may make a different decision based on their travel needs and their decision has no impact on you whatsoever.

 

Here we go, I did not omit Caribbean because foreign countries in the Caribbean do not accept passport cards by treaty. The only countries that accept the cards is Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda.  The confusion for some comes from the fact that a passport card is valid for admission to the United States when you are returning from the Caribbean. The cruise line can embark you with a passport card on a closed loop cruise because the final destination is the USA. 

 

You might find yourself unable to enter a foreign country without a passport book. That is not to say that sometimes for cruise ship passengers some alternate ID's are acceptable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moviela said:

 

Here we go, I did not omit Caribbean because foreign countries in the Caribbean do not accept passport cards by treaty. The only countries that accept the cards is Canada, Mexico, and Bermuda.  The confusion for some comes from the fact that a passport card is valid for admission to the United States when you are returning from the Caribbean. The cruise line can embark you with a passport card on a closed loop cruise because the final destination is the USA. 

 

You might find yourself unable to enter a foreign country without a passport book. That is not to say that sometimes for cruise ship passengers some alternate ID's are acceptable.

 

 

And the fact still remains if the cruise line allows you to board with a passport card then it is accepted by the authorities for the countries you'll be visiting on the cruise. The cruise line can embark you on a closed loop cruise with something other than a passport because the countries on the itinerary allow it, not just because of the final destination.

Edited by sparks1093

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moviela said:

 

 

You might find yourself unable to enter a foreign country without a passport book. That is not to say that sometimes for cruise ship passengers some alternate ID's are acceptable.

 

If we are talking about the Caribbean, from our experience with cruises to the islands over the past almost 20 years we have always used our U.S. Passport Card going back to when they began issuing them. 

 

We have been to just about every place in the Caribbean including Panama, Colombia and the ABC Islands  and although we do bring our regular Passports in case of any emergency, all we have used is the Passport Card and never had any problem.  For our upcoming Cuba cruise we know that we will have to use our Passport Book.

The card is only a small expense and to us it is convenient, being the same size as our Sea Pass cards .

 

bosco

Quote

 

 

 

Edited by boscobeans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And I have used an Enhanced Drivers License which has the same function as a passport card in order to board a cruise.

 

And I actually have another friend that flew home from Jamaica the SAME day with nothing but the card so the blanket statement "you cannot fly home with the card if something happens" is NOT true in every case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...