Newbee Question - what to wear?

Fortunate2

Which part of England? Geordieland? The West Country? Birmingham? It seems there are as many forms of English as there are people who speak it - even the descendants of the Angeln from Germany who give the language its name. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

I’ve been reading (and sometimes commenting on ) many, many  threads. This one, hands down, is the funniest.

I have been LOLing at this thread for days. I agree, Pashmina!

I love conversing with English speakers the world over. The subtle differences in the meaning of words, and the accents, are so colorful and interesting. On average, I have the hardest time understanding the Scots though.

And sorry for the "revolting" slang, SS. Just need to keep up appearances by speaking badly! 😛

No offense (or offence) taken. I am laughing too hard to get upset.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1

All good, Rocchi! I can understand you perfectly when you type...: D

All kidding aside, one time we rode the train from Edinburgh to Greenock. It was interesting to try and listen to conversations because it seemed like I was listening to a language that wasn't quite English. I could get a few words or a sentence here and there but large parts of the dialogue were foreign to my ears.

It is hard to describe. It was like how I feel when I listen to Italian. It sounds a bit like French and I feel like I should understand it but I can't. 

I recently read an interesting piece on the Scots language. I had no idea. Now I wonder if that's what I was hearing? 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/scots-language

JP.

Just teasing.

An interesting article. Here in Scotland we have a national poet Robert Burns 1759 - 1796 and is not well known throughout the rest of the world. He was born and brought up here in the south west of Scotland so his language and writings were in Scots. I’ve had a go at reading some of his poetry and enjoy Tam O’shanter, good story, but have to refer to the English translation to understand it as many of the Scots words are no longer in use today. Pretty much everybody in this area speaks fairly standard english (The Queens? dunno), however the accent we have in this area can be a bit heavy like I have. Quite often I have to have Mrs. Rocchi act as translator when speaking to other nationals, Even the English.

You may have heard of Auld Lang Syne. Quite well known. That was another thing he wrote down.

Now as far as Gaelic is concerned, it was spoken in this area until around 12th century and was replaced with Scots in south west Scotland. Our wonderful Scottish parliament has made the decision that Gaelic is the second language and we have road signs appearing with a town name and a Gaelic translation below in italics and all the police cars have the two names on them. These translations are being imposed in areas where the population find this language unintelligible and unpronounceable. Gaelic a noble language, is spoken mostly in the north west and by approx. 1% of the Scottish population.

Rocchi

12 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

If I say England proper, then that will upset the Scots, many of whom speak perfect English. The Welsh of course are another matter, and it’s best not to even think about NI. Many countries (but excluding our penal colonies) who keep the Queen as head are also excellent English speakers. Those who revolted against us are generally beyond the pale.

Wow, letting your prejudices show Silver, not very pleasant. 

2 hours ago, Rocchi said:

Forgot to add this last night.

How do you, pronounce eleven ?

How do you pronounce eleven ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA6ektXRVak

Haha.....At a team brief I had at work about a month ago, the importance of communication was the topic and that clip was presented by a Scottish guy at the gathering. It's a hoot.

Just to bring back on topic, we weren't wearing budgie bulges at the time. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Irony - the expression of one’s meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous effect! 🤣

Irony is a particularly British form of humour, and as I am British I understand and enjoy, it but I saw none in your little diatribe.

Edited by jollyjones

19 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Irony is a particularly British form of humour, and as I am British I understand and enjoy, it but I saw none in your little diatribe.

In that case you have rather lost the plot. Just because you are unable to appreciate someone else’s sense of humour, it doesn’t give you the right to take offence and then insult them. You might do well to aquaint yourself with the forum guidelines.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Yes, all welcome, unless you are sporting a budgie smuggler, banana hammock, or any of the other poolside fashion atrocities. They even let us on, one with a slight southern-inland midwestern drawl, and a funky Canadian accent.   When I say funky, it's unusual enough that other Canadians have asked SweetiePie "No, really, where are you from".    I suspect it's become a bit more strange living with me for the past 20ish years :classic_blink:

Down to 131 days before my next vacation .......

Jan

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

Is there an area on Wind for (women's) topless sunbathing?

Not any areas as such where it's labeled "optional",  but I have seen ladies bathing topless by the pool and I think it might be frowned upon by some of the other guests.

Not as much as the budgie smugglers though obviously! :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1