Edge Overpriced???

Mr&MrsBee

Wow, a few quotes on my post, and I kind of agree with them, even the ones who ‘disagree’ with my opinon. 

Ronb65 is right. A lot of it is to experience something new and to pay an higher price for that experience. And the Edge isn’t ‘revoluionary’, but I hope it;s a bit unique. It would be revolutionary if it floated above the waves and ran 80kts or some such thing. It’s a Cruise Ship!  When I stepped on the Solistce right after it was introduced, I thought it was unique. But I’m easy.....as are most sailors!

And Host Jazzbeau is right.....it’s priced correctly because so many of us are looking for a new experience. But many of us aren’t adventurous enough to step out of a Line we like. This will be Celebrity in a differnt venue. For me, that’s exciting. 

And for Happy Cruiser, I understand smoking on the many venues on MSC didn’t seem to bother you but the one smoking area on Celebrity did. But you did say on another post that you joined your sister who is a smoker in the smoking area and that didn’t bother you, so I was a bit surprised that walking through the one smoking area on Celebrity you described as a stench, but were OK stranding arond and socializing in a smoking area on MSC. We all have a differnt level of acceptance of smoking. But I didn’t quite follow that one. You should be straightforward that MSC has many more smoking areas and allowances than Celebrity so those of us who are bothered by smoke understand what we will experience. For those that smoke or aren’t bothered by smokers around them, then tha’s OK. For those that have issues should fully understand MSC has many smoking venues, and is differnt from Celebrity on that issue. I”ve never sailed MSC and probably won’t, but it sounds very nice for those who pay to go the Yacht Club and aren’t bothered by smoke. And maybe somehow staying in the Yacht Club area the whole cruise is the solution. 

Host Jazzabeau is right. The one MSC ship that caters to US ports is more smoke-area restrictive. That’s nice. I’ll stick with the many LInes that restrict smoking on all their ships on all their iternaries, and have 1 or 2 outside smoking areas only. 

Deb 

Oh I did not make myself quite clear- i did not mean the ( almost ) straight bow- I ment the extrem shortness of the bow- of course it is much more important how the ship looks inside- but as a ship buff I can´t help to look at ships from the outer appeariance as well. I rather like the " Titanic" like bow- just no soooo short! Edge´s ass may have a rather unbalanced look- but its interessting anway!

The only smoking areas on MSC in the US are outside, except for the ships that have a cigar lounge. The outside areas on he Divina, for example, are a small area on the starboard side of the pool deck and one side of the back pool, which is adults only. The other 99.9% of the ship is smoke free.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:08 AM, Bo1953 said:

The Edge is only overpriced, if you and your wallet believes it is not worth the financial outlay, currently.

Many have decided it is worth it and/or purchased passage when first released and only saw pricing increase since.

Some pricing has retreated though.

bon voyage

Agree Bo.  We booked the day it opened up and cannot believe the price increase.  When we disembark Edge we head right over to Silhouette to a Sky Suite for what folks are now paying for only Infinite balconies right now on Edge.  Our experience for the 7 days (which we usually don't do 7) might be a "one and done" but we are really looking forward to experiencing Edge.  Then, who knows but at those prices (which I believe will go down when Apex comes on board) we won't be booking any time soon.  Did notice that the prices are dropping and wondering if they outpriced themselves before actual "testing" the waters (no pun intended).  

Pat

22 minutes ago, PatC said:

Agree Bo.  We booked the day it opened up and cannot believe the price increase.  When we disembark Edge we head right over to Silhouette to a Sky Suite for what folks are now paying for only Infinite balconies right now on Edge.  Our experience for the 7 days (which we usually don't do 7) might be a "one and done" but we are really looking forward to experiencing Edge.  Then, who knows but at those prices (which I believe will go down when Apex comes on board) we won't be booking any time soon.  Did notice that the prices are dropping and wondering if they outpriced themselves before actual "testing" the waters (no pun intended).  

Pat

Of course they did in the hope the “revolution” would entice at the high price, to a degree it worked. Regardless of all the talk of wallets, worth and personal decisions it’s clearly been priced at a level well above the norm for the Celebrity brand and will drop back to it’s actual price level when the hype has passed.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:29 AM, Germancruiser said:

I agree with the bow- totaly unbalanced look. The ships interiour as such looks stunning- but that ugly bow.... - those designers must have forgotten to take their pills as the doctors prescribed them..!

I also thought the design was weird, and makes the ship look much less streamlined. After some investigating, I think this design will become commonplace in the future, due to the advantages of economy, and comfort of the passengers in high seas. I guess it will just tske some getting used to.

12 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You are comparing the MSC suites only area to the Celebrity general pool area.  Edge will have a separate Retreat pool area.  Also, IIRC the MSC ships that homeport in Florida have strict smoking policies while those in the Med are much more lenient.

Yes I am.  That's the only comparison which is currently available to me.  I was simply reporting on my experience.  I stated very clearly that I was comparing a YC1 to a sky suite on Celebrity.

11 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Wow, a few quotes on my post, and I kind of agree with them, even the ones who ‘disagree’ with my opinon. 

Ronb65 is right. A lot of it is to experience something new and to pay an higher price for that experience. And the Edge isn’t ‘revoluionary’, but I hope it;s a bit unique. It would be revolutionary if it floated above the waves and ran 80kts or some such thing. It’s a Cruise Ship!  When I stepped on the Solistce right after it was introduced, I thought it was unique. But I’m easy.....as are most sailors!

And Host Jazzbeau is right.....it’s priced correctly because so many of us are looking for a new experience. But many of us aren’t adventurous enough to step out of a Line we like. This will be Celebrity in a differnt venue. For me, that’s exciting. 

And for Happy Cruiser, I understand smoking on the many venues on MSC didn’t seem to bother you but the one smoking area on Celebrity did. But you did say on another post that you joined your sister who is a smoker in the smoking area and that didn’t bother you, so I was a bit surprised that walking through the one smoking area on Celebrity you described as a stench, but were OK stranding arond and socializing in a smoking area on MSC. We all have a differnt level of acceptance of smoking. But I didn’t quite follow that one. You should be straightforward that MSC has many more smoking areas and allowances than Celebrity so those of us who are bothered by smoke understand what we will experience. For those that smoke or aren’t bothered by smokers around them, then tha’s OK. For those that have issues should fully understand MSC has many smoking venues, and is differnt from Celebrity on that issue. I”ve never sailed MSC and probably won’t, but it sounds very nice for those who pay to go the Yacht Club and aren’t bothered by smoke. And maybe somehow staying in the Yacht Club area the whole cruise is the solution. 

Host Jazzabeau is right. The one MSC ship that caters to US ports is more smoke-area restrictive. That’s nice. I’ll stick with the many LInes that restrict smoking on all their ships on all their iternaries, and have 1 or 2 outside smoking areas only. 

Deb 

Fine, Denny, you do what you want to.  I was just reporting my experience.

There is no right or wrong answer, just a personal buying decision.  I have read these thoughts here:

Edge is overpriced to those who do not want to pay for the new ship experience and these folks might wait until the price comes down or just never sail on Edge.

Edge is high-priced but still acceptable for some willing to pay for the new ship experience, but some might take a lesser cabin or make other monetary concessions.

Edge is priced right for some who are gladly paying for the new cruise ship experience in whatever cabin they like.

Edge was priced right for some who grabbed cabins in March 2017 on the first day or two, but perhaps not any more.

Edge is priced competitively for Celebrity as long as the market will allow its current price levels and it sails full.

Edited by TeeRick

What will the market bear?... interesting marketing concepts if one googles the topic.

https://pragmaticpricing.com/2013/10/19/what-is-what-the-market-will-bear/

Celebrity ships are floating hotels and restaurants moving passengers between ports.

Edge charges more than other ships to get to the same destinations.

If the main dining room has the same menu as other ships in the fleet the value must lie elsewhere.

It's only the accommodations between meals and between ports that one need evaluate for pricing "value".

Some people will pay for 5 star accommodations prior to boarding while others are content with options that will allow them to cruise more often.  Sitting on a balcony watching the sea slide by for two weeks on an Equinox voyage has greater value to us than a one week stay on Edge.  Celebrity can charge whatever it decides for attracting passengers to the new hotels.  We'll stick with the better bang for the buck offered by other ships in the fleet.  To us Edge is overpriced in regards to our cruising budget.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

There is no right or wrong answer, just a personal buying decision.  I have read these thoughts here:

Edge is overpriced to those who do not want to pay for the new ship experience and these folks might wait until the price comes down or just never sail on Edge.

Edge is high-priced but still acceptable for some willing to pay for the new ship experience, but some might take a lesser cabin or make other monetary concessions.

Edge is priced right for some who are gladly paying for the new cruise ship experience in whatever cabin they like.

Edge was priced right for some who grabbed cabins in March 2017 on the first day or two, but perhaps not any more.

Edge is priced competitively for Celebrity as long as the market will allow its current price levels and it sails full.

I think consensus will be obtained after the first 90-120 days.

Edited by MizDemeanor

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I’ll add one more to your list:  Edge is priced right for some who booked very early.

4 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

What will the market bear?... interesting marketing concepts if one googles the topic.

https://pragmaticpricing.com/2013/10/19/what-is-what-the-market-will-bear/

Celebrity ships are floating hotels and restaurants moving passengers between ports...........

I’ll disagree that Celebrity ships are floating hotels moving passenger between ports. For many of us the ship is the main focus of the cruise, the vacation. The ports, especially Caribbean, are secondary. So it’s not a comparison of just what it costs to go from one port to another. 

I hope I didn’t edit your comments too short to make it line up with what I am pointing out, but I’ve seen the argument that the Cruise Line is just a hotel/restaurant and I disagree. On one thread, we were asked was the ship or itinerary the most important. Many added ‘cost’, and I of course made it depending on the place crusing to. For Caribbean - Ship; for Europe - Itinerary then ship. 

we each Cruise for various reasons and even when we cruise for very different ones, we seem to end up on the same ship and on the same cruise/itinerary!!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Perfect!

On 11/6/2018 at 11:40 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

A few years ago you could buy a Yugo for much much less than a BMW.  The Yugo would get you from A to B [most days] just like the BMW.  But lots more people bought BMWs than Yugos.  It turns out the Yugo was overpriced, not the BMW.

I love this analogy. :) 

21 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

snip snip snip snip .......

Edge charges more than other ships to get to the same destinations.

If the main dining room has the same menu as other ships in the fleet the value must lie elsewhere.

It's only the accommodations between meals and between ports that one need evaluate for pricing "value".

snip snip snip snip snip..............

I presume you have yet to check out the 'no additional charge' dining options on The Edge yet.

bon voyage

7 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I presume you have yet to check out the 'no additional charge' dining options on The Edge yet.

bon voyage

I have not been onboard to check them out...  .. "No additional charge"... you gotta be kidding.  The cover charge is excessive.  By not booking Edge for an extended period, let's say 4 months at a time, would allow me to cruise on Equinox or even an outdated M-class and trade in my Yugo for a BMW.. or rather a Lexus (Luxury Export US) for trivia fans. :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Quo Vadis? said:

I have not been onboard to check them out...  .. "No additional charge"... you gotta be kidding.  The cover charge is excessive.  By not booking Edge for an extended period, let's say 4 months at a time, would allow me to cruise on Equinox or even an outdated M-class and trade in my Yugo for a BMW.. or rather a Lexus (Luxury Export US) for trivia fans. :classic_biggrin:

Neither has any 'paying' passenger, yet. The sample menus are available on X's website for all four (4) MDR's aboard The Edge... some may like all of them or only one of them...

Then there is Blu and Luminae, if one has one of those included cabins....

Your savings sound tremendous and I laud you for directing your vacation funds accordingly.

bon voyage

33 minutes ago, Quo Vadis? said:

Is equinox now an Yugo?

It's Equinox and Edge going to the same ports... from A to B

I don't think so.

Maybe a better comparison would be the short live cruise line Fathom to Yugo. They had ridiculously low pricing and still failed whereas Edge is certainly high but the cabins are selling well it seems. 

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

We may revisit Edge once all the hoopla goes away and the price comes down.  Additionally, they need to schedule some new ports instead of the same old boring ones that  they have scheduled.

We booked Edge within hours of bookings becoming available. I guess I was caught up in the hype. Then later on we ended up on another sailing which happened to visit the only port on the Edge itinerary that we were yet to visit. 

After some consideration I decided that the itinerary was the deal breaker for me and cancelled. I have no doubt that Edge will offer a great experience but for now it certainly fails with the original "Big ship amenities, small ship destinations" that the original marketing promised.

As I've said before, if people sat down and plotted the most boring Caribbean itineraries they could do, how close would they be to the ones currently on offer? That's a serious question and not a dig at anyone already booked. 

So right now I'll be patient and wait to experience an E class ship when there's an itinerary that appeals to us personally.