Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mr&MrsBee

Edge Overpriced???

Recommended Posts

Of course it’s overpriced, to silly levels in my view. But if enough people are daft enough to pay those prices well done Celebrity 👏😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

  I'm wondering what will happen to prices on S-class ships after they come out of dry dock resembling the Edge class amenities.

 

This is what I’m afraid of, if only I could afford it I would be booking another Azamara cruise; comfort, good service without all the bells and whistles.

 

And another thought, what happens to dining on the ‘Magic carpet’ in bad weather?

Outside dining venues have been closed on Silhouette on the present TA, due to turbulent weather. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going on the Equinox in Dec, 2019 for $2900.00 in a C2. The Edge for the same cruise, is $5000.00 for a infinity balcony. You've got to be kidding. I could see $1000.00 difference for a completely new class of ship with a different balcony, but not $2000.00. These are rounded figures of course, but accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, yorky said:

Of course it’s overpriced, to silly levels in my view. But if enough people are daft enough to pay those prices well done Celebrity 👏😄

 

I dare say, that most of us who have booked The Edge out for several sailings at whatever price we agreed to pay, did so knowing of the 'potential' premium being charged and did so freely.

 

IMO, what is daft are those who believe we, booked passengers, do now know or understand what we are purchasing and at what levels. We do not look down our noses at those who choose not to pay the prices we chose to pay. I equate the comment to individuals who may choose to fly an ultra low cost airline vs going first class on a legacy carrier.

 

Many of us, The Edge bookers, would never deign to pre-suppose anyone's decision to not book The Edge for ANY reason, personal or financial amoungst the most stated ones for not booking.

 

Our choice, Our vacation, Our money... most of us will look back with great memories and fondness for our booked sailings on The Edge and think about those we encountered aboard and the enjoyment it brought. Our reviews will disclose how happy OR not, we were to be aboard this new ship.

 

My joy can be that those who consider us 'daft' for purchasing on The Edge, choose not to be there, which may make our sailings more enjoyable, overall, not having to endure the constant haranguing over prices WE have chosen to pay for OUR pure enjoyment and vacation, not anyone else's.

 

There are a few fellow passengers who have indicated that future pricing is not justifiable for them after these first sailings and that is understandable as they may choose to spend hard earned (or not) vacation discretionary income on something closer to what they are used to spending for cruising.

 

Most of us thank you for your thoughts and input for sure... as they fall by the wayside on our daft ears while we sail The Edge and soon The Apex.

 

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most folks who got the "better" pricing for EDGE,  booked early...taking a risk on an unbuilt vessel.  Others held back, waiting to see what developed,

 

Some cruisers did well with the Deck 6 semi obstructed cabins...good pricing and a few extra  $ OBC...also the  inside cabins for those who prefer them or just wanted a spot on the EDGE.   

 

Certain categories...suites  & AQ class became very popular as the ship was revealed.  So those prices went up.  Supply and demand,

 

Onboard reviews will figure into the next pricing structure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a case where everybody is right:  yes, prices are ridiculously high and yes, in a free society (?), people should be allowed to squander their earnings as they see fit.  We'll take a week's cruise in April for $300 a night p/p with a perk and $150 OBC for an E1.  If we like it, we have another E1 on the November 2019 TA for $3500 total with $500 OBC.  So we're hedging our bets on a new ship we might not care for.  After 27 X cruises over the years, I think we are about to part company but not because of the Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

 

Not at all.  I'm saying that 'overpriced' is a concept that can only be applied after you see whether people are willing to pay the asking price.  Edge is selling extremely well, even at these incredible prices.  Since Celebrity isn't a charitable organization, why would anybody claim it is 'overpriced'?

Edge is a newbuild, that hasn't even sailed yet.

 

Can you name any newbuilds that have not had similar highly priced offerings before launch? It is always a high demand situation, like any launch. Especially in this economy where there's a lot of money floating around amongst the well off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

A few years ago you could buy a Yugo for much much less than a BMW.  The Yugo would get you from A to B [most days] just like the BMW.  But lots more people bought BMWs than Yugos.  It turns out the Yugo was overpriced, not the BMW.

Disagree with your comparison.  Personally, I would never pay the price for a descent sized BMW.  I could buy 2.5 Fords for the cost of a 5 series BMW.   I love my Ford that is 10 years old, since I am retired drive less than 5K miles a year.   Also, I would never have purchased a Yugo, due to its poor reliability and quality.

 

Your comparison evaluated the economic decision on purchasing a product, rather than a vacation experience.

As an experienced traveler, we know what we want.  I have lived in two foreign countries (Germany and Saudi Arabia) and traveled to 76 countries.  Dear wife and I travel extensively, every year and considering the cost of a Veranda on the Edge, we would only be able to take one trip a year instead of two or three.  

 

We have upgraded to a suite once and while it was very nice, with more space, a butler and loved the Luminae restaurant, but we missed dining in the MDR with some of our cruise critic friends.

 

Having traveled on land trips as well as cruises, we gravitate to a nice B&B in a great location walking distance from the city we are visiting, instead of paying three times the price for a 5 star hotel with a luxury overkill.   When traveling, how much time do we spend in a hotel room?  Answer, not a lot.  Same with a cruise.   We do like a veranda to enjoy the ocean view, but would revolt at paying 4 or 5 times the price just for a new ship like the Edge, no matter how nice the ship.

 

I am not saying that I am right and you are wrong.    This is our personal preference.  Yours may be different, that is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

 

I dare say, that most of us who have booked The Edge out for several sailings at whatever price we agreed to pay, did so knowing of the 'potential' premium being charged and did so freely.

 

IMO, what is daft are those who believe we, booked passengers, do now know or understand what we are purchasing and at what levels. We do not look down our noses at those who choose not to pay the prices we chose to pay. I equate the comment to individuals who may choose to fly an ultra low cost airline vs going first class on a legacy carrier.

 

Many of us, The Edge bookers, would never deign to pre-suppose anyone's decision to not book The Edge for ANY reason, personal or financial amoungst the most stated ones for not booking.

 

Our choice, Our vacation, Our money... most of us will look back with great memories and fondness for our booked sailings on The Edge and think about those we encountered aboard and the enjoyment it brought. Our reviews will disclose how happy OR not, we were to be aboard this new ship.

 

My joy can be that those who consider us 'daft' for purchasing on The Edge, choose not to be there, which may make our sailings more enjoyable, overall, not having to endure the constant haranguing over prices WE have chosen to pay for OUR pure enjoyment and vacation, not anyone else's.

 

There are a few fellow passengers who have indicated that future pricing is not justifiable for them after these first sailings and that is understandable as they may choose to spend hard earned (or not) vacation discretionary income on something closer to what they are used to spending for cruising.

 

Most of us thank you for your thoughts and input for sure... as they fall by the wayside on our daft ears while we sail The Edge and soon The Apex.

 

bon voyage

Enjoy your cruise my friend 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Edge is a newbuild, that hasn't even sailed yet.

 

Can you name any newbuilds that have not had similar highly priced offerings before launch? It is always a high demand situation, like any launch. Especially in this economy where there's a lot of money floating around amongst the well off.

 

Even with all of NCL's new builds, their prices haven't stayed consistently high, nor were they priced at such a premium as Edge's rates. We were on the Escape two months after her maiden and paid what I would consider at 'regular' rate. Edge is off of my radar even into 2020 at the current prices. Someone must be willing to pay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, yorky said:

Enjoy your cruise my friend 😊

 

Yes, I Am sure we will, along with others who will board with us...

 

Thank you,

 

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

 

Even with all of NCL's new builds, their prices haven't stayed consistently high, nor were they priced at such a premium as Edge's rates. We were on the Escape two months after her maiden and paid what I would consider at 'regular' rate. Edge is off of my radar even into 2020 at the current prices. Someone must be willing to pay...

 

You must remember that just because the rates are 'considered' high currently, does not mean they will necessarily be at the same levels after a few sailings...

 

Some of us would be happy to get a lower fare or upgrade were the prices go down and be very very happy with our pricing if the fares go up as they did on The Edge. Our cabin pricing went up $1,800 within months after we booked... very happy I jumped on it when I did, otherwise almost any S-Class ship sailing at the same time would have been in play for us.

 

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BosoxI said:

This might be a case where everybody is right:  yes, prices are ridiculously high and yes, in a free society (?), people should be allowed to squander their earnings as they see fit.  We'll take a week's cruise in April for $300 a night p/p with a perk and $150 OBC for an E1.  If we like it, we have another E1 on the November 2019 TA for $3500 total with $500 OBC.  So we're hedging our bets on a new ship we might not care for.  After 27 X cruises over the years, I think we are about to part company but not because of the Edge.

 

First from your screen name, congrats on the World Series!  As one of the "daft" (not your word) people who booked early on Edge, I still paid quite a bit but not as much as prices now.  But I did not "squander" (your word) my money which means to waste foolishly.  I knew what I was doing and happily paid for it.  It was a choice just like any other purchasing decision in life. Hopefully we will all enjoy our Edge cruises or as you point out we will look elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep hearing how well its sold yet it appears to me that I see more availability on the Edge for this NYE sailing than I think any other X or Royal ship....just saying. 

Edited by bajathree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I keep hearing how well its sold yet it appears to me that I see more availability on the Edge for this NYE sailing than I think any other X or Royal ship....just saying. 

 

I was keeping an eye on the 1/20 sailing and past final payment there are still about 130 open cabins at all levels. Right now it would take about $5,600 just to get on the ship. It will be interesting to see how prices play out. Dare I say some Celebrity cruisers are averse to change so despite booking a completely new build, I'm sure there will be some pretty harsh reviews at first that may sway some opinions and bookings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

 

I was keeping an eye on the 1/20 sailing and past final payment there are still about 130 open cabins at all levels. Right now it would take about $5,600 just to get on the ship. It will be interesting to see how prices play out. Dare I say some Celebrity cruisers are averse to change so despite booking a completely new build, I'm sure there will be some pretty harsh reviews at first that may sway some opinions and bookings.

 

Yes this is quite true, this will be a crowd which will be difficult to please, overwhelmingly despite its' newness. LOL

 

Yet, that is the nature of the beast.... expect us to pay, expect us to point out the big things which require immediate attention... of course there will be a few petty items thrown in for good measure... 😉

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still just shocked at how hideous the bow of this ship is ... why would they have designed it  to look like a barge or car ferry?     And that silly orange contraption hanging off the side .. what a mess.

 

After the Norwegian Epic (or maybe right along with it)  this the most hideous ship afloat ...

Edited by F27TW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit i’m not a fan of certain aspects of the design of the ship next to the existing S class ships but I guess people are booking more for what’s on it when cruising than how it looks. As above though with what many people have paid I would not be surprised to see some pretty mixed reviews, expectations will be extremely high with the tolerance of a few pretty low even when new ship teething problems can be expected.

Edited by yorky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll be on the Edge when  7-day itinerary includes four ports in the Caribbean, and prices start from $550-600 pp (a reasonable price range for this ship).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, F27TW said:

I'm still just shocked at how hideous the bow of this ship is ... why would they have designed it  to look like a barge or car ferry?     And that silly orange contraption hanging off the side .. what a mess.

 

After the Norwegian Epic (or maybe right along with it)  this the most hideous ship afloat ...

I have to tend to agree with you as those were similar to my first impression so far....but am keeping an open mind. I will find out  shortly first hand ....I am on the 2 night United Way sailing...it was the best bargain....as well as being for a great cause to be able to preview this ship.

Edited by bajathree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes you just want that chance to cruise on a new build at an opening price that is a little higher than you have paid before, but you are doing it with friends and want something new and different.  That describes why I booked Edge on its first TA.  I am now comparing S class ships and the newly released itineries, and I see they are even higher when first released than I paid for Edge in the exact same S1 suite category, not to mention fewer nights!  I decided against booking during this new release of cruises because they seem unreasonable to me, and I want something that is special, especially if I am going to spend my money on it.  So, I will keep doing my research and wait until the price, itinerary and cabin meets the approval of myself and my DH.  

 

We all have our limits and want our hard earned money to be worth it to us!  Supply and demand is here to stay,  and not going away anytime soon...it is what it is and there are always options!  We all have a line that stops us from making a decision based on many factors.  I did not cross my line and feel quite good about my decision too.

Edited by Lastdance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bajathree said:

I have to tend to agree with you as those were similar to my first impression so far....but am keeping an open mind. I will find out  shortly first hand ....I am on the 2 night United Way sailing...it was the best bargain....as well as being for a great cause to be able to preview this ship.

 

I look forward to your initial impressions and thoughts...

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many, if not most, of the Edge cruises are seriously overpriced. And they are overpriced for an average person or a billionaire. The only difference is that the billionaire can squander his money without having to worry about where his next meal is coming from. But he's still paying for an overpriced product. Personally, I have reached a certain age where if I'm going to do something, I'd better do it now because my tomorrows might be limited. And I thank God everyday for my ability to pay on occasion, at least, for an overpriced product.   I'll  be anxiously awaiting the initial reviews from people whose opinion I have come to trust over the years, and our first 7 night cruise will surely give us the experience to determine whether there will be a second Cruise on the Edge.  

Edited by BosoxI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CanadianTourist said:

Is it against the rules to post the exact prices available and where they can be found?

Exact prices?  No.  Where they can be found?  Yes, if it means giving the name of a specific TA or website.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...