Miami with kids

Mrcar09

My wife and I are scheduled for a 1/13 sailing out of POM. This is our first time traveling with our 4yo and 6yo so we are struggling a little with transportation since my daughter will require a car seat. We are flying into MIA on 1/12 at 7PM so we are basically just looking for a place to crash that night and the best way to get there. The two options I have been weighing are staying near the airport the first night and taking an Uber or Lyft to the port in the AM or to stay somewhere like the Holiday Inn POM and fine transport to POM. First question is, is there any public transport or anything that would travel between the Holiday Inn and POM? How close to the terminal can we get? Secondly, if we need an Uber to get to POM, how is the availability on cruise morning? We plan to be early to try and beat the crowd to avoid too much of a wait with the kids.

Secondly, post cruise, what is the best option from POM to MIA for an 11AM departure? 

Lastly, can someone more knowledgeable with the  FL state laws tell me if my 4y/o at about 40" and 40lb would be legal in a simple booster seat? I understand that its not ideal but I'm simply asking about legality.

A 4 year old can use a booster seat legally.  3 and under requires a car seat.  Your 6 year old requires only a safety belt so you don't have to bring anything additional.  Uber will be very widely available and of no concern at all.  I don't know about public transportation from Holiday Inn to PortMiami but I wouldn't bother with it if you are trying to get there early.  It's a short Uber ride.  Just Uber.  I would arrive between 9:30AM - 10AM at your cruise terminal to avoid the crowds.

The best option when you leave PM to get back to the airport for an 11AM departure... You should be doing self-assist (carry your own luggage) in the early groups.  Just walk off with all of your stuff.  I would just hop in a cab if they are waiting and no lines.  If there is a line for cabs, then request an Uber.  You have a fairly early departure that will be easy to make providing you make the effort to disembark early. 

We have a 4 and 6 year old also.  We bring 2 roller suitcases (typical checked luggage size) and a backpack or two.  That's it.  It's easy to make it work if you don't over pack.  Just carry your booster seat in your hand or have a small bag with handle or something to make that easy to bring.  This shouldn't be stressful or difficult at all for you.

Edited by BNBR

Pre-cruise look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon area near MIA (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, etc.) with a local strip mall nearby with fast food, dining options, and grocery & drug stores.  All will offer an airport shuttle.

Some hotels can arrange for a shared shuttle to POM, but with 4 you are better off using either UberXL or a minivan/SUV cab - fare should be about $30+tip

Post cruise I would grab the first cab big enough for your crew; flat rate fare from POM to MIA is $27+tip.  for an 11:00 flight you need to be at MIA by 9:30, and 9:00 is better with the TSA chaos that is typical.  The cab ride from POM will take about 15+ min.

There are travel booster seats that should work for your 4-year old - try Amazon or Target.  I've even seen inflatable booster seats great for travelling.

Check the Family cruise board for advice from others travelling with kids.  Have a great cruise! :classic_cool:

On 11/6/2018 at 10:19 AM, BNBR said:

A 4 year old can use a booster seat legally.  3 and under requires a car seat.  Your 6 year old requires only a safety belt so you don't have to bring anything additional. 

A booster seat is determined by height and weight of the child, not age.  

OP - Check out the bubble bum inflatable booster seat for both of your children, and if your child is above 40 in and 40 lbs, that might be a good option for you.  It can deflate so it can be packed easily in a backpack or carry-on, and easily installed in an Uber or taxi.

You will be fine either way, whether you stay near the airport or someplace near the port. If you go near the port don't worry about transport. The drive from Holiday Inn to Port Miami is 5-7 minutes. Just Uber. 

Either get there early to avoid crowds or get there later after say 1:30pm. 

To get to MIA for a 11am departure that means you need to be at MIA by 9:15-9:30 the latest, but probably want to be there by 9am. You'll want to get off the boat by 8:00am to get your bags, go through immigration and then just take a taxi it is a flat rate. You'll save some on an Uber but might not be worth waiting for it. 

You won't have any trouble finding an Uber on either day. There are so many around Miami. 

3 hours ago, Flymia said:

You will be fine either way, whether you stay near the airport or someplace near the port. If you go near the port don't worry about transport. The drive from Holiday Inn to Port Miami is 5-7 minutes. Just Uber. 

Either get there early to avoid crowds or get there later after say 1:30pm. 

To get to MIA for a 11am departure that means you need to be at MIA by 9:15-9:30 the latest, but probably want to be there by 9am. You'll want to get off the boat by 8:00am to get your bags, go through immigration and then just take a taxi it is a flat rate. You'll save some on an Uber but might not be worth waiting for it. 

You won't have any trouble finding an Uber on either day. There are so many around Miami. 

Unfortunately a car seat/booster seat is needed in Uber and the Uber driver can decide not to take the passengers because of this. 

Uber has started ubercar seat (ubers with car seats for an extra $10) and I know it's in NYC, Orlando, Philly and DC but it's not down in Miami yet.  

Thank you all for the responses. We have purchased a couple of basic booster seats to bring with us which will enable us to use Ubers, shuttles or taxis. We don't need one for our 6yo, but he uses one at home, so we decided to get him one as well. I've read that Florida law many times, and I find it very basic since it is solely based on weight. My home state for example does have age as well as weight restrictions. We feel comfortable with the booster for my 4y/o due to the limit amount of time we will be in a car.  Additionally we decided to stay in the Blue Lagoon area due to the proximity to a grocery store to get a few last minute things. We are planning to take the shuttle to the hotel and either Uber/Taxi to and from the port. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• 6 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, Mrcar09 said:

Thank you all for the responses. We have purchased a couple of basic booster seats to bring with us which will enable us to use Ubers, shuttles or taxis. We don't need one for our 6yo, but he uses one at home, so we decided to get him one as well. I've read that Florida law many times, and I find it very basic since it is solely based on weight. My home state for example does have age as well as weight restrictions. We feel comfortable with the booster for my 4y/o due to the limit amount of time we will be in a car.  Additionally we decided to stay in the Blue Lagoon area due to the proximity to a grocery store to get a few last minute things. We are planning to take the shuttle to the hotel and either Uber/Taxi to and from the port. Thanks again for the suggestions.

hi there!  I will have a 4 and 5 year old with  me and had the same concerns as you.  do you mind sharing the hotel you stayed in January? would you recommend it?  I'm also going to look into booster seats that travel well.  did you use an uber for the transfer to port?  any info is greatly appreciated!!

Stacey

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 2:58 PM, staceyberoth said:

hi there!  I will have a 4 and 5 year old with  me and had the same concerns as you.  do you mind sharing the hotel you stayed in January? would you recommend it?  I'm also going to look into booster seats that travel well.  did you use an uber for the transfer to port?  any info is greatly appreciated!!

Stacey

Stacey, 

I see this is a month old so I apologize for not responding sooner, I haven't been active for awhile. For a few reasons which I will explain we decided to stay at the Hampton Inn at Blue Lagoon which is just south of the airport. The main reasons we chose them was that staying near the airport was cheaper and they have a free transfer from the airport, a pool and hot tub for the kids, free breakfast and free wifi for last minute updates. They offered a for fee shuttle to the port ($20 per person maybe, I would call and ask) but they are at set times so we opted for a Lyft because we wanted to get there early. I just happened to received a 50% off code for our next 10 rides a few days before we flew out so we used all Lyfts and no Ubers. Honestly, most drivers had both lights so I doubt there would be much difference between the two. The hotel was your standard chain type hotel but it was clean and comfortable, I would certainly use them again.

To that point, we actually got stranded for 3 days on our return and after one night on Miami Beach, we went back to this hotel. It was just a better fit with the children.

I hope this helps.