Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jstrutton

Tricare coverage on cruise??

Recommended Posts

We are booked on a TA cruise in March 2019 and looking at insurance options.  Not sure whether I need it because of the following:

1.  Paying for the entire cruise with our Costco Visa card which has some travel insurance in the event we have to cancel for illness, etc prior to cruise.

2.  Once on the ship, I'll have Tricare Select (the old Standard).  Granted I may have to pay upfront but can file a claim once I get back off the cruise for medical treatment on the ship if needed. 

3.  Also, once at our destination in Europe, then I can still use same process as #2

4.  In addition, we have a Tricare supplement policy, for anything that Tricare doesn't cover i.e Tricare only covers 75% so our supplement covers the remaining 25%).

 

Opinions?  Just trying to figure out whether we actually need the additional travel insurance.  Granted it isn't a huge amount, but less I pay for insurance is more for us to spend on board. 

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Jay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tricare would cover any medical issues but not emergency evacuation or anything other than medical issues. I have always gotten additional cruise insurance to cover non-medical emergencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use to know, but those changes for 2019 tossed much of what I knew into the air!

 

Do you use a credit card  to charge your cruise? Some of the credit cards have some really good medical benefits attached to them .  For example, I have a patient whose elderly mother had traveled here from Venezuela to visit her and while here discovered she had cancer - American Express covered her cancer treatments at a very high-level center in Texas  (MD Anderson). They would otherwise have been in a very dire situation, but Amex covered most or all of the associated costs. We use Chase Sapphire because of the various benefits, but the Amex travel cards and others offer some insurance and most travel cards have medical benefits. Just a thought!  Happy sailing 🙂

 

Lynn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 12:35 PM, jstrutton said:

We are booked on a TA cruise in March 2019 and looking at insurance options.  Not sure whether I need it because of the following:

1.  Paying for the entire cruise with our Costco Visa card which has some travel insurance in the event we have to cancel for illness, etc prior to cruise.

2.  Once on the ship, I'll have Tricare Select (the old Standard).  Granted I may have to pay upfront but can file a claim once I get back off the cruise for medical treatment on the ship if needed. 

3.  Also, once at our destination in Europe, then I can still use same process as #2

4.  In addition, we have a Tricare supplement policy, for anything that Tricare doesn't cover i.e Tricare only covers 75% so our supplement covers the remaining 25%).

 

Opinions?  Just trying to figure out whether we actually need the additional travel insurance.  Granted it isn't a huge amount, but less I pay for insurance is more for us to spend on board. 

 

Thanks in advance.

 

Jay

Jay, you are correct in all of the above.  I might suggest a good Travel Credit Card as most have evac benefits if required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest purchasing the travel insurance for the cruise as well, for extra peace of mind.  Keep in mind that you may have to pay upfront cost for medical services onboard. We recently cruised to Southern Caribbean...had to pay the onboard cost of nearly $2K for medical treatment, plus cost for ambulance, prescripts and ER services in port for another $1K upfront.  The cruise ship will cover emergency travel back...up to $30K I think...however for the rest have to file claim with TRICARE insurance then cruise insurance will cover balance that is not covered by TRICARE...Also we were told that medical treatment onboard not covered by cruise insurance...only covers from the point you have to leave the ship. I don’t think many know this..so I’m sharing so you can verify with your cruise line. Was able to be released and continue on with my cruise...was told this is rare though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad I found this board! Dh and I are cruising in Europe this summer. He has medicare/Tricare for life. I have Tricare. I understand that Medicare won't pay for any care overseas and I've read the Tricare website so I "think" I understand what they will/won't pay. Does anyone have advice or recommendations for insurance that would cover a medical evacuation, if necessary (and not one associated with a credit card account). Thanks for your help and advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Tri Care Prime. Had an infection from a cut in Grand Cayman in 2017. Went to the doctor and contacted the international desk that gave permissions for multiply visits. Had a visit each day for 5 days. Had to pay upfront with a credit card and submit once back in the states. They covered all expenses including meds and bandages etc needed from pharmacy.

 

 

The other was on a Carnival cruise to the Caribbean in 2018. Had to see the ships doctor. Tri Care covered all expenses. But had to pay with CC up front first and submit once back in the states. It was paid in full.

 

On both of these I kept very accurate records with receipts.

 

Have other insurance in case I have to be airlifted back to the states.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to consider GeoBlue.  It would be overkill for medical considering your tricare and supplement but it would also provide evacuation coverage.  It can be purchased for a trip or multiple trips up to a year.  I believe my one year (self and wife) was around $200.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have TRICARE For Life and Medicare.  Medicare won't pay anything if you are outside the continental US or its territories.  Therefor TRICARE is the only insurer.  In the states I pay nothing for almost any imagined medical treatment or hospital stay. However overseas I will need to satisfy a $150/$300 deductible and pay a 25% copay for most treatment.  If appropriate, air evacuation is covered by TRICARE to "the closest, safest place" to receive the care needed. (Not to the U.S. in many cases.) Again I would likely pay 25% of a huge air evacuation bill.  The one saving grace is there is a $3,000 catastrophic cap each year. It applies to all TRICARE recipients, including those traveling or living overseas .  The most I would be forced to pay is $3,000 out of pocket.  (Although I might need to put sums greater than that on a credit card or cards.) We are planning an 87 day cruise to South America and the South Pacific this fall.  Still not convinced I shouldn't be buying travel insurance but will at least look for the cheapest route given these other factors. Like others it would be a peace of mind thing more than a practical consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double D Cruisers, that was good information! 

We also have Tricare for Life and Medicare, going on a 58 day cruise around South America in January, and my down payment for the cruise was last July, so I missed the deadline for the waiver for pre-existing medical conditions.

Without the waiver (as I understand it)  air evacuation  or medical treatment would not be covered for any of the pre-existing medical conditions on their long list (which included high blood pressure).

I had not even thought about Tricare for Live and the catastrophic cap, and I will definitely check more detailed in that.

And I think that getting extra travel insurance, although more on the minimal side, is still a good idea. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am military retired and have Medicare And Tri-Care for Life.

 

I got sick on board a cruise once with clogged ears and a sore throat.. Went to the doctor on board and had my ears drained and got some antibiotics for the soar throat.  Had to pay all cost on board and received all the paperwork from the on board infirmary.

 

When I got home I notified the cruise insurance company.  They told me I had to submit paperwork to Medicare and Tri-care for Life first.  When I submitted the paperwork, Medicare and Tri-Care for Life both disallowed the claim because the ship I was on was not registered in the US.  I then had to send both disallowed claims and on board paperwork to the cruise insurance company that finally paid the claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"famski740", that is interesting info. 

As you had cruise insurance on your own, it sounds right for Tricare not to pay as they would be the last payer.

I just wondered if you could have claimed it with Tricare (not Tricare for Life) if you would not have any other cruise insurance at all.

When I called Tricare for Life, I was told that "Tricare" would kick in, and  they did send me a booklet "Tricare overseas program". They also more or less confirmed "Double D Cruisers" info.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, I realize I'm replying to an old thread. Secondly, I'm not military, but I do work in healthcare. I've seen some strange things with Tricare. For a vacation/cruise, I think I'd still suggest, as others have, getting a travel policy. If you went through Costco Travel, they basically acted as your "travel agent," and it's probably a good idea to call them to see what all the benefits are, and get them (as always) in writing. Finally, while searching for a policy for my own trip, I found this "clearing house" of travel insurance, which you can compare "apples to apples." https://www.squaremouth.com  I ended up getting a pretty amazing policy for about $30 for a week's cruise. Emergency medical (as secondary to my employer insurance) up to $30,000, but the kicker--$400,000 for medical evacuation/repatriation. there were other incidental benefits thrown in like travel delay, baggage delay/loss, flight AD&D. Considering I paid a lot more than $30 for a drink pass on the ship, this was a no-brainer.  squaremouth dot com

Edited by hennpaul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread....  Did not know you could submit a claim to Tricare.   Hopefully, I’ll never have to but good to know just Incase.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 4:07 PM, Double D Cruisers said:

I have TRICARE For Life and Medicare.  Medicare won't pay anything if you are outside the continental US or its territories.  Therefor TRICARE is the only insurer.  In the states I pay nothing for almost any imagined medical treatment or hospital stay. However overseas I will need to satisfy a $150/$300 deductible and pay a 25% copay for most treatment.  If appropriate, air evacuation is covered by TRICARE to "the closest, safest place" to receive the care needed. (Not to the U.S. in many cases.) Again I would likely pay 25% of a huge air evacuation bill.  The one saving grace is there is a $3,000 catastrophic cap each year. It applies to all TRICARE recipients, including those traveling or living overseas .  The most I would be forced to pay is $3,000 out of pocket.  (Although I might need to put sums greater than that on a credit card or cards.) We are planning an 87 day cruise to South America and the South Pacific this fall.  Still not convinced I shouldn't be buying travel insurance but will at least look for the cheapest route given these other factors. Like others it would be a peace of mind thing more than a practical consideration.

Hi there! I realize you posted this in April and it is now November.  Just want to make sure I understand our Insurances before we cruise thru the Panama Canal.  We have Medicare and Tricare for Life.  Lots of folks are not relyling on TFL to cover a medical evac.  Saying they could deny the claim.  That would be catastrophic for us money wise in the long run but charging it not so bad.  Just wondering what you think? I have been told both ways get one or do not.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a very interesting thread. I will keep up to see if anyone else has any more feedback.  I will say that we are going on a short cruise in December and I purchased additional trip insurance.  If you have USAA, take a look at what they offer.  You may find that their rates are pretty good. To take out the insurance for our week's trip, they came in significantly less inexpensive than any other option I have used in the past.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have medicare and TRICARE for Life.  In the past I have always bought extra insurance.  However, if you are in the 80s insurance  becomes very expensive.  Looked into what tri care would cover if I became ill in Europe.  You can get some care at a military facility if close by...but med evac home is another issue.   .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, cgram434 said:

I have medicare and TRICARE for Life.  In the past I have always bought extra insurance.  However, if you are in the 80s insurance  becomes very expensive.  Looked into what tri care would cover if I became ill in Europe.  You can get some care at a military facility if close by...but med evac home is another issue.   .

 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, cgram434 said:

I have medicare and TRICARE for Life.  In the past I have always bought extra insurance.  However, if you are in the 80s insurance  becomes very expensive.  Looked into what tri care would cover if I became ill in Europe.  You can get some care at a military facility if close by...but med evac home is another issue.   .

 

On 12/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, cgram434 said:

I have medicare and TRICARE for Life.  In the past I have always bought extra insurance.  However, if you are in the 80s insurance  becomes very expensive.  Looked into what tri care would cover if I became ill in Europe.  You can get some care at a military facility if close by...but med evac home is another issue.   .

 

However, if you are a military retiree, there is the possibility of getting on a Space A flight.  There may be other options for a Medivac flight back to the states.  They do occur throughout the world.  One source of info would be  the local US Consulate for specifics and questions.

A major hospital is located in Landstuhl, Germany  at Ramstein, AFB. All medical evacuees from Europe ( at least in the past) are flown back to the US from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...