Please Compare Regal to Summit

bestdogever

We are in our early 60’s and are interested in a New England cruise next fall and are considering the Princess Regal or Celebrity Summit. We prefer the Summit’s itinerary and length, but have not been on Celebrity before and other than hearing they are on a par with Princess, we don’t know much about the general atmosphere and quality of a balcony room, service, dining, shows and activities. We know what to expect with Princess Club Class. For those who have been on both, what do you see as the major differences or pros/cons?  If we select the shorter itinerary we would probably go in a few days early to tour New York. Thanks in advance!

Edited by bestdogever

I'll give it  a shot for you. Was on the Princess Regal in 2015 but in the Caribbean. Took the 14 day NE/Canada cruise on the X Summit this past 9/23 - 10/7/2018.

The Summit is a smaller vessel but I loved the ship and particularly the itinerary. While the Summit is an older vessel it will have also gone through a dry dock make over by the time you board her next fall. I found the ship to be very clean, in good repair, outstanding crew and staff and very good food in the MDR. Since I took this cruise as a solo traveler, I simply went with an oceanview room which turned out to be a smart move. Even though we generally had very good weather, it was cool and I doubt too many people used their balconies very often. The production shows were fine, the outside entertainment that was brought onboard was generally outstanding. I joined very small groups, via Cruise Critic Roll Call, for three private tours and took several ship excursions at other ports. Loved the two days in Quebec City and the fall colors were outstanding in Newfoundland. So, I have nothing negative to say about the Summit and certainly everything great to say about the itinerary.

I remember the Regal as being a lovely but very large ship and the cabins just slightly smaller than what I expected. Everything else about the Regal was very good. If I were to make a choice between these two vessels for NE/Canada, I'd pick the Summit particularly because it is smaller, fewer passengers, and has, per your comment, a better itinerary. By the way, I'm a young 71 year old too, if that makes any difference.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the above poster. I've been on the Regsl and the Celebrity Infinity (sister ship to the Summit) and loved both ships. I was in an Owner's suite on Regal and an S1 suite on Infinity,  so can't speak to a balcony room although I heard that the actual balconies in balcony cabins  on Regal are small and many lack privacy. 

I loved the classy decor and feel of Infinity...also had great food, both in Blu and regular MDR. It was a nice size ship...not too big.

Regal was gorgeous but in a more modern look. Good food, not great. Loved the huge buffet, though.  The atrium is lovely and I love the International Cafe. 

I would gladly sail on either again.  Enjoy your cruise no matter which one you do.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, if you have never been on Celebrity, and you choose not to go, then you may never know what it is like.  We have been on both and really prefer Celebrity of the two.  In our opinion, they are actually quite similar in quality and general demographics.

Who knows, you too might like it a bit more than Princess also.  The Princess military and shareolder OBC benefits keep us coming back to Princess though.  We both are veterans.

One certainty though is that it will not be vastly different than Princess.  You'll never know until you try.