Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
schiff1997

Bar drink price increase and Classic Beverage Package

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, MrsDusty said:

Not long. About a couple of hours. 

I submitted an enquiry through their website quoting my booking reference

Thanks!  I did the same this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MrsDusty said:

Not long. About a couple of hours. 

I submitted an enquiry through their website quoting my booking reference

 

Was this through the USA site or another?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hdowney said:

 

No they really don't. I booked YC, which obviously includes the Premium package. Well I booked before the changes so I expect to get what was originally on the package - room service and minibar were two of the main things - or else I will be looking for compensation on the price I paid for the room.

 

Agree with this completely, as you know I am 'in the same boat' (tee-hee). Surely they will honour what we all booked - in practical terms I don't know how they will manage it, but nor do I care!

Edited by Captain-John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MrsDusty said:

I just received this

 


Thank you for your email.

I have escalated this for you and I have been advised you will still have the Classic Drinks package you paid for as long as it was added before the drinks package were changed.

There is no mention of what drinks are now going to be included with the Classic as the recent menu prices now place most above what the Classic package covered.  They need to state Classic dollar amount will still cover the same drinks as it did before the price increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FGJones said:

 

Was this through the USA site or another?  

The U.K. site. I am in England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MrsDusty said:

I just received this

 


Thank you for your email.

I have escalated this for you and I have been advised you will still have the Classic Drinks package you paid for as long as it was added before the drinks package were changed.

I wonder how this applies to Yacht Club, since we don't "order" or "pay for" a Drinks package!  In theory, we get Premium plus, but no guarantee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Até said:

There is no mention of what drinks are now going to be included with the Classic as the recent menu prices now place most above what the Classic package covered.  They need to state Classic dollar amount will still cover the same drinks as it did before the price increase.

I have asked for further clarifucation. 

If its nog the same as what i have booked i will cancel the whole cruise. I really will.

Ill go back to Royal Caribbean. 

I dont like being ripped off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John ... I have also had replies that say our deluxe package will be honoured on Divina in December, I have since asked if we will be given the premium plus package and await the reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sidari said:

Hi John ... I have also had replies that say our deluxe package will be honoured on Divina in December, I have since asked if we will be given the premium plus package and await the reply.

 

Ah great - I suppose the question becomes what package new YC bookings will get as standard?

 

I will get it in writing from MSC myself to take onboard should there be an issue, although by the time I sail hopefully all ironed out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all, I am on a January cruise on Seaside with DOU  booking and have been following this thread as we were planning to upgrade to Deluxe ($26/day/pp) for the additional benefits including minibar and room service. I decided to call and play “dumb” and just request for this upgrade to be added to my account hoping to be grandfathered in for all the changes happening. I immediately was connected with a very pleasant MSC representative who for the first few minutes was going along and confirming the $26/day upgrade. I was then placed on hold for a brief time and when the rep came back on the line she told me that they were going through some pricing changes and could not upgrade at this time, but to call back later this week (around Thursday) and they would then be able to complete the transaction. I started questioning a bit what that meant and I was told that the upgrade would still be only $26 per day to the “deluxe” (assuming actually premium plus?) but right now the system and website was incorrect and would charge too much. She also said the upgrade would still include the minibar/room service. 

 

I am am not sure how much stock to put into this but did want to share my experience as it has put me at ease for the time being that this will be sorted out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure how they can upgrade you to a package that no longer exists! To go to the Plus will be a bigger jump hence why they likely asked you to call back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sidari said:

Not quite sure how they can upgrade you to a package that no longer exists! To go to the Plus will be a bigger jump hence why they likely asked you to call back.

There is a remote possibility that they are going to attempt to hold true to all of the marketing materials for the DOU promo that very clearly stated the upgrade options, prices, etc. They may need to have the systems set to allow for those codes to still be used.  I do say remote, as we all know who we are talking about here, but you never know?  The systems on the ship are programmed to know what to charge based on the codes in the card, so no reason they couldn't just leave the old codes in until they are phased out.  Will report back how they handle next week's cruise that we have the upgrade on.  I am curious how it is handled in March when we also have an Aurea with the upgrade already in place...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, catlclar said:

Hi all, I am on a January cruise on Seaside with DOU  booking and have been following this thread as we were planning to upgrade to Deluxe ($26/day/pp) for the additional benefits including minibar and room service. I decided to call and play “dumb” and just request for this upgrade to be added to my account hoping to be grandfathered in for all the changes happening. I immediately was connected with a very pleasant MSC representative who for the first few minutes was going along and confirming the $26/day upgrade. I was then placed on hold for a brief time and when the rep came back on the line she told me that they were going through some pricing changes and could not upgrade at this time, but to call back later this week (around Thursday) and they would then be able to complete the transaction. I started questioning a bit what that meant and I was told that the upgrade would still be only $26 per day to the “deluxe” (assuming actually premium plus?) but right now the system and website was incorrect and would charge too much. She also said the upgrade would still include the minibar/room service. 

 

I am am not sure how much stock to put into this but did want to share my experience as it has put me at ease for the time being that this will be sorted out. 

wow thats sneaky of them. Happy we upgraded last Monday.  Thanks for posting this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is they will have new codes for the new packages and retain the previous ones for those already booked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miami offices are now closed and I never heard back about my inquiry.  I am going to guess that since Deluxe package people are getting a bit of an upgrade by being treated as the Premium Plus that hopefully Classic package people will get treated like the Premium package.  That is the closet match to what Classic had offered, otherwise we will be getting a downgrade if they treated us like the Easy package.  Seeing the change for new bookings for Aurea to the Easy package is making me very nervous, but it might be a good thing as long as they reflect that in the cabin pricing.  I have noticed the typical Caribbean Aurea cabins have been some of the last to sell as booking a Bella or Fantastica then upgrading the DOU drinks package was a much better deal.

 

I'm fine if they want to give Aurea the Easy package on future bookings, but it would be totally unfair for that to happen for past Aurea bookings or those who purchased the Classic package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Community for sharing! 

 

The SAD fact I found out today is that the package to Premium is now $62 pp per night up from this weekend at $44...tried to buy it when it was 44 but stupid website cart did not work for food or drink! Only excursions!!! Now this today!

 

The package i have I am told has NO VALUE for trade-in????. So the special ship deal with drinks we have to pay full price to change...makes no sense and MEAN about too??? Why??? Horrible customer service. 

 

And yes, the most premium package is now only up to $12...AND many items taken off and yes, ALL prices were also raised ....so really messed up on all ends!!! 

 

So poorly handled and executed. Essentially they know there is nothing thier paid for customers can do but take the cold hearted dish they are serving us all....when something seems too cheap or too good a deal like "drinks on us!" It clearly was!! I think they are trying to make up for this deal by jacking everything up....will be interesting for those that already had chance to upgrade....hope they at least honor the original package for them!!! 

 

Oh, and it took 25 minutes to get through and then on hold for 45 minutes just to get this info and then treated rudely on top of it....? Sad thata Family run line is like this....certainly NOT a friendly or family like customer service. 

 

It is this type of thing that makes brands lose customers, brand credability and long term gains for short term profits...

 

Back to Celebrity I suppose....: ( 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rencamcruise said:

The package i have I am told has NO VALUE for trade-in????. So the special ship deal with drinks we have to pay full price to change...

I assume you have the Drinks On Us package.  I feel pretty sure MSC is eventually going to continue to offer upgrades, hopefully they just probably haven't figured out how to get their system to do it and perhaps pricing.   I will agree MSC can be dreadfully uncoordinated implementing changes like this, but after sailing several times with them I still feel they are interested in gaining US cruisers and keeping them.  A sudden reversal of policy allowing upgrading and what the packages include after people book would be a PR disaster, and possibly illegal.  I'm going to give them some time to clarify before denouncing them and making rash decisions like cancelling future bookings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ate, that would indeed be the right thing to do. I hope they care to do the right thing! : ) Otherwise, I would hate to be the people on the ship at customer care trying to deal with this large of a mess! I can't even imagine...maybe why guy was so rude is he has been dealing with this mess the last few days and is tired of all the email and calls?

I Also booked a Jan 29 cruise with MSC for an Aurea room...could not get an answer on what package I will have on that cruise...said "it should be same" but to "call back closer to my cruise date." I already paid in full for that and can not cancel. I have our Nov cruise to deal with and hope Aurea as it was will be honored for our Jan cruise. We usually upgraded but now so confused. 

Maybe with all the calls and emails from thier Guests, they will correct the mess! 

 

Again, thanks everyone. I wish i had found this over the weekend! Appreciate everyone sharing what they discover! Take care. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now you see on the UK website they offered balcony cabin for the price of an inside with hot drinks and water included. With the money we saved we upscaled to the classic all inclusive. All the cards on MSC have a 3 digit cidecthatbtellsvtge system what drinks package you have. All they need to do is tell the system what 3 numbers get what package not a difficult thing to implement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rencamcruise ... Your January 19 cruise will still have the Classic package that you booked according to what MSC are telling people, where there would be an issue is if you wanted to go to Premium you would have to pay the difference between the old Classic price and the New Premium price instead of the Old premium price which I find absurd because if you did this with a cabin and moved from say Bella to Aurea a few months after the original booking, MSC revert back to the Aurea price that existed when you booked the Bella cabin!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to have gotten a different answer than others, that my Deluxe plan has been switched to the Premium, which holds significantly less value for me.  Although my booking still shows deluxe so hopefully this is just a case of someone not actually knowing the answer and guessing as seems to be the MSC way.  

 

Thinking back to when I was first booking this cruise (which is to be my first cruise) and I asked about a hair dryer.  I was told there is one in the room and that guests are not permitted to bring their own hair dryer, curling iron or hair straighter on board.  I  told her that the hair straightener ban was a deal breaker for me and was ending the call and she immediately said that hair straighteners were permitted...  that should have been my red flag that they're all just guessing at the Ft Lauderdale (USA) call center. 

MSC Response.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FGJones said:

I seem to have gotten a different answer than others, that my Deluxe plan has been switched to the Premium, which holds significantly less value for me.  Although my booking still shows deluxe so hopefully this is just a case of someone not actually knowing the answer and guessing as seems to be the MSC way.  

 

Thinking back to when I was first booking this cruise (which is to be my first cruise) and I asked about a hair dryer.  I was told there is one in the room and that guests are not permitted to bring their own hair dryer, curling iron or hair straighter on board.  I  told her that the hair straightener ban was a deal breaker for me and was ending the call and she immediately said that hair straighteners were permitted...  that should have been my red flag that they're all just guessing at the Ft Lauderdale (USA) call center. 

MSC Response.JPG

I had the same answer and asked if we get the mini bar, room service and whatnot still. She said yes. I emailed msc yesterday and will see what they say as well. Someone on Facebook got this answer back from MSC. 

3D7D9283-FC3C-4764-82F4-A762C3349971.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just received a reply from customer service stating:

 

Thank you for contacting MSC Cruises.

Please be advised drink packages that have already been purchased will be honored. Therefore the minibar and Gelato in cup for the All-inclusive Deluxe

package would be honored.

Kind Regards,

 

On a followup question:

 

Thank you.  How about the crepes, gelato bars, etc. that have all previously been included in the All inclusive deluxe package? And the beverages (chocolate martinis, etc.) at Venchi?

 

The answer:

 

Please see drink comparison guide for clarification of  included drinks for guest that have already purchased the "All Inclusive Deluxe " drink package.

 

It appears as though the original deluxe package terms will still apply if this is the package you have bought.  This was asked in reference to cruises both Nov 17, 2018 and March 16, 2019, and the answer was that if already purchased, we will receive the original package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, slei15 said:

I just received a reply from customer service stating:

 

Thank you for contacting MSC Cruises.

Please be advised drink packages that have already been purchased will be honored. Therefore the minibar and Gelato in cup for the All-inclusive Deluxe

package would be honored.

Kind Regards,

 

On a followup question:

 

Thank you.  How about the crepes, gelato bars, etc. that have all previously been included in the All inclusive deluxe package? And the beverages (chocolate martinis, etc.) at Venchi?

 

The answer:

 

Please see drink comparison guide for clarification of  included drinks for guest that have already purchased the "All Inclusive Deluxe " drink package.

 

It appears as though the original deluxe package terms will still apply if this is the package you have bought.  This was asked in reference to cruises both Nov 17, 2018 and March 16, 2019, and the answer was that if already purchased, we will receive the original package.

Thanks for posting!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jess ... The post you copied with the name Stefania on it was the same person who replied to me when I emailed the UK office yesterday !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...