Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
quby33

Medication rules....Dubai

Recommended Posts

I know there are strict rules banning certain medications from Dubai ( and a long long list!). I'm assuming that as long as you don't take stuff off the ship it's OK? Anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you have raised that because I rattle when I jump with all my prescribed medicine.

 

Aware of Codeine ban but will need to check all my tablet. Beware going ashore but still taking your tablets because if you end up having a blood test for any reason and barred drugs are in you system you are in trouble with the law

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

Glad you have raised that because I rattle when I jump with all my prescribed medicine.

 

Aware of Codeine ban but will need to check all my tablet. Beware going ashore but still taking your tablets because if you end up having a blood test for any reason and barred drugs are in you system you are in trouble with the law

It's a massive list, pages of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea that is why I avoid that country

I thought it had improved recently but I guess not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rotherham_Cruiser said:

Glad you have raised that because I rattle when I jump with all my prescribed medicine.

 

Aware of Codeine ban but will need to check all my tablet. Beware going ashore but still taking your tablets because if you end up having a blood test for any reason and barred drugs are in you system you are in trouble with the law

Codeine isn't banned. Did you not read the information in the PDF? While certain drugs are absolutely banned, most of the drugs listed are allowed if the necessary steps are followed. The lists are mostly concerned with narcotics and psychotropic drugs, but certain stimulants and steroids are also listed.

 

Seriously, what is the likelihood that you would get off the ship in Dubai for a day trip and  end up having to get a blood test? Yeah, you might get run over by a taxi and end up in the hospital, but the likelihood is pretty remote. And FYI: a "blood test for any reason" would not show drugs in your blood stream unless it was specifically testing for drugs. A CBC isn't going to show a drug profile. Scaremongering isn't helpful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mom says said:

Codeine isn't banned. Did you not read the information in the PDF? While certain drugs are absolutely banned, most of the drugs listed are allowed if the necessary steps are followed. The lists are mostly concerned with narcotics and psychotropic drugs, but certain stimulants and steroids are also listed.

 

Seriously, what is the likelihood that you would get off the ship in Dubai for a day trip and  end up having to get a blood test? Yeah, you might get run over by a taxi and end up in the hospital, but the likelihood is pretty remote. And FYI: a "blood test for any reason" would not show drugs in your blood stream unless it was specifically testing for drugs. A CBC isn't going to show a drug profile. Scaremongering isn't helpful

 

The last thing I intend to do is scaremonger - apologies if that's how it comes across. I have seen a couple of updated lists on other posts and codeine in on the banned list but providing you have a doctor's letter and copies of your prescription you will be fine.

I have read several reports of people falling foul of the UAE approach to prescription drugs one of which included someone who fell ill and was arrested following blood tests in hospital. 

You are correct of course. Follow the steps required and you will be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, quby33 said:

Every list I've seen mentions codeine. Obviously it must have been updated.

 

Codeine is one of the listed controlled drugs, it is not ‘banned’.  Provided you have the supporting documentation with you then there is no issue with you carrying a quantity of any prescribed medication containing codeine for personal use, and appropriate to the length of your visit with you.  The authorities are not looking for personal use medications, the restrictions are there to stop people bringing larger quantities of controlled drugs into the country that are clearly more than for personal use...  The same applies to any of the drugs marked CD on the list, the only banned substances are those clearly identified as ‘prohibited’ most of which are classified as narcotics...

 

Having lived and worked here for most of my adult life I have no issue with the no tolerance drug laws here.  It was reassuring to know my kids were not ‘at risk’ throughout their school and college years, unlike those of family and friends back in the UK... The same restrictions apply to me as to those of you visiting and as I travel in and out with one drug on the CD list then I just ensure I have a copy of my authorised CD prescription with me, any other medication (prescribed or over the counter) is just in my handbag or carry on and I’ve never been checked yet... 

 

Anne...

 

Anne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were similar rules when we lived in Saudi. Not sure if it's the same now. I must admit we were never stopped.  Mind you, the punishment for having drugs was a great deterrent!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I am leaving in a few minutes to start my journey to Athens to join our ship.  We are disembarking in Dubai and spending a couple of days prior to flying home.  Just a heads up...  gabapentin (Neurontin),  a commonly prescribed medication for nerve pain is on the list of controlled drugs, that requires that you take no more than a months supply,  a current prescription, and a letter from your MD.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 12:59 AM, Jayayeff said:

The same restrictions apply to me as to those of you visiting and as I travel in and out with one drug on the CD list then I just ensure I have a copy of my authorised CD prescription with me, any other medication (prescribed or over the counter) is just in my handbag or carry on and I’ve never been checked yet... 

Am I understanding this correctly? I only need to carry the copy of the authorized prescription for CD, and not for other prescriptions (ie..asthma medication/high blood pressure/ high cholesterol/allergies/nasal spray/ & stomach medicine)

Can we also bring in Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Gravol.(Dimenhydrinate) or should I leave them at home and buy in Dubai?  We will be there for 3 days before we board for a cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vizslapup said:

Am I understanding this correctly? I only need to carry the copy of the authorized prescription for CD, and not for other prescriptions (ie..asthma medication/high blood pressure/ high cholesterol/allergies/nasal spray/ & stomach medicine)

Can we also bring in Tylenol (acetaminophen) and Gravol.(Dimenhydrinate) or should I leave them at home and buy in Dubai?  We will be there for 3 days before we board for a cruise.

 

There is no problem at all carrying medications, prescribed or available over the counter provided they do not contain any of the listed substances that are either controlled or prohibited.  Any medication containing substances that are listed as controlled must have supporting documentation with them.   I too am asthmatic and just carry my inhalers and the one medicine I take that is in tablet form in my handbag without supporting prescriptions.... 

 

Tylenol can be bought over the counter here but I’m not familiar with Gravol

 

Anne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

 

There is no problem at all carrying medications, prescribed or available over the counter provided they do not contain any of the listed substances that are either controlled or prohibited.  Any medication containing substances that are listed as controlled must have supporting documentation with them.   I too am asthmatic and just carry my inhalers and the one medicine I take that is in tablet form in my handbag without supporting prescriptions.... 

 

Tylenol can be bought over the counter here but I’m not familiar with Gravol

 

Anne...

Thanks Anne for your quick response.

 

So just checking 1 last time; I CAN bring the Tylenol with me , and the Gravol (for motion sickness) too, and don’t need to buy it there, as long as it is not on the list.

 

PS: I have been following another thread with the roll call for my cruise and have made note of MANY of your suggestions and advice...thank you .. even though it wasn’t specifically addressed to me 

Margrethe 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, vizslapup said:

Thanks Anne for your quick response.

 

So just checking 1 last time; I CAN bring the Tylenol with me , and the Gravol (for motion sickness) too, and don’t need to buy it there, as long as it is not on the list.

 

PS: I have been following another thread with the roll call for my cruise and have made note of MANY of your suggestions and advice...thank you .. even though it wasn’t specifically addressed to me 

Margrethe 

 

 

 

Yes, you can bring them both with you provided no compound in their make-up is on the list and you only carry sufficient quantity for personal use.....

 

Enjoy your visit, and your cruise..,

 

Anne..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...