Royal Princess Docks with Sick Cruisers

Rick&Jeannie

On 11/8/2018 at 12:56 AM, Kartgv said:

Wash hands very frequently, keep your hands away from your face, don't use handrails if you can avoid it, use knuckle or elbow on elevator buttons, etc.     

And whenever possible use the bathroom in your own stateroom rather than one in the public areas. This is the advice we were given during a serious noro outbreak some years ago on the Crown and we were fine.

Edited by simon stingray
typo

On 11/9/2018 at 10:27 AM, Pickels said:

I've seen crew with hand sanitizers at various places throughout the ship, (ex: at the entrance to the buffet) BUT, has anyone ever seen a crew member with a hand sanitizer outside of the men's/women's bathroom?  I've never seen that; may be a good idea considering how inconsiderate some people are!  What do you think?

What do I think?  How do you educate people to wash their hands after using the restroom?  Bathrooms right outside the buffet on Lido, some people don't wash their hands, go right inside the buffet and handle the serving spoons.  Yes, I have witnessed it.  Not only that, look around at people licking their fingers, get up and go serve themselves again.  Don't get me started!!!!

27 minutes ago, elliair said:

What do I think?  How do you educate people to wash their hands after using the restroom?  Bathrooms right outside the buffet on Lido, some people don't wash their hands, go right inside the buffet and handle the serving spoons.  Yes, I have witnessed it.  Not only that, look around at people licking their fingers, get up and go serve themselves again.  Don't get me started!!!!

That's why after going through the buffet and getting my food, I go to the nearest restroom and wash my hands like crazy. I'de much rather my food get cold, even though it's never really hot to begin with, than get Noro.

It's disgusting the amount of people that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, tonit964 said:

That's why after going through the buffet and getting my food, I go to the nearest restroom and wash my hands like crazy. I'de much rather my food get cold, even though it's never really hot to begin with, than get Noro.

It's disgusting the amount of people that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.

A little common sense can go a long way. We always use a paper towel or napkin when serving ourselves in the buffet. A few weird looks but I would never touch a serving spoon or tongs without some hand protection. I think they should make everyone use some type of hand protector when serving themselves.

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

If anyone has used Zylast,  I am hoping it doesn't have a strong or unpleasant scent/odor.

If I use it before dining, I don't want to be 'tasting' Zylast as I eat !

I use Zylast and do not recall it having any odor at all.

The OP is cruising on the Royal Princess. This ship has hand washing stands at each entrance to the Horizon Court general area (4 separate lines).  On both cruises we've been on there are ship's personnel asking everyone to wash their hands.

You can see our cruise history - we haven't gotten Norovirus (yet), and use normal precautions.   We often eat in the buffet.  One does not have to be a fanatic about things to stay healthy.

It does help that if you observe another passenger mishandling serving utensils or food, please let the servers know - they always take action, in our experience.   Princess Cruises takes health and sanitation seriously.

I never board a cruise ship with the expectation of entering a sterile environment for the entire length of the cruise or with the expectation that all the other passengers will conform to me, i.e., perfumes, odors, etc. If I was to worry about getting ill from a virus spread by others, or having to temporarily succumb to the unpleasant odors of others, I'd just better stay home. Thank goodness I'm just a tad tolerant of others odors and wash my hands regularly.  

On 11/7/2018 at 7:56 PM, Kartgv said:

It's that time of year when illnesses seem to become more prevalent.    The sanitation procedures usually work very well.    The next cruise may have a few differences - more hand washing reminders and more vigilant distribution of hand sanitizer, maybe no salt & pepper shakers on the table, or the library closed.    None of these things should be enough to ruin anyone's cruise - just remember the basics to avoid problems.    Wash hands very frequently, keep your hands away from your face, don't use handrails if you can avoid it, use knuckle or elbow on elevator buttons, etc.     

👍👍

As you all know by now, there really wasn’t any issue with norovirus or any other illness. The ship was cleaned by an outside group when returning to Ft.lauderdale  as it began a new segment cruising for the Caribbean season. This delayed embarkation for a very short time and led to all kinds of speculation and social media gossip.

The procedures on board the ABC Island cruise were no different than they were on the Canadian repositioning cruise prior.

On any cruise, there’s a certain amount of illness that is unavoidable when you have a large and diverse group together. This did not escalate into anything serious on the repositioning cruise or precipitate any enhanced warnings or procedures.

Hope every one enjoyed their trip to the ABC Islands and returned in the same health as they started but ‘newer’!!😉