A few thoughts from our first Azamara cruise

Duck Duck Cruise

We just returned from our first cruise with Azamara on the Journey.  Having completed 11 previous on various lines with thousands of passengers, this cruise was heaven!   We love sea days so we took the Transatlantic from Lisbon to Miami with stops in Horta, Azores,  Hamilton Bermuda,  Havana, Cuba and Key West, Florida before leaving the ship in Miami.   From beginning to end it was all so calm, easy, happy, and over the top amazing.   We couldn't help comparing as the days floated by.   Boarding was quick and easy without the dreaded photographers on other lines.  We always like to have a cabin near the aft of our ships and usually have to plan accordingly how long it will take to get to the front to the spa or other places on board.  On this ship we were always early because it only takes a couple minutes to get from one end to the other. 🙂

The very first thing that was visibly different was the crew.   We know they work long hours and their jobs are stressful and hard.  But, gone were the blank stares, dull eyes and that sleep deprived zombie look we have come to expect on large ships.  Also, and most importantly, they all were genuinely happy to be there and were not looking over their shoulder for the boss to reprimand them for talking to the passengers too long.   We had many lively chats and the banter and humor was very refreshing indeed.  The officers and security were also engaging and quick with a smile and asking how you are getting along.  

The food was delicious, hot, well seasoned and there were many choices.  The quality was way above any ship we have been on.  There was not one thing we tried that we found to be so bad that we left it for the fishes.  This has happened many times on the bigger lines.  Cafeteria food this was not!

We always found a lovely quiet place to read or look at the sea. And there was plenty of things to do if we wished.   Thanks to other CC members (Mimi) organizing a space to meet, we had a nice Knitting, Crochet and Fiber Arts get together throughout the cruise.  I also went to a ship sponsored Water Color Class that was taught for an hour on sea days by Deborah Conn who is an incredible artist.  She will be doing other Azamara and small line cruises, you can email her from her website. http://www.deborahconn.com/ . She loves to teach and the classes were very easy and fun for beginners like me and more experienced people too.  She was sweet, so encouraging and always had a positive word about everyone's work.  At the end of the cruise, the Assistant CD Stephen came to the gallery show where we all laid out our work on tables in Acqualina Dining room where we did the classes and had champagne and chatted with our fellow artists.  It was so much fun.

The passengers on this ship were very different than those we have noticed on larger lines.  Here, they were kind, thoughtful, always quick with a hello, how are you, smile and chat, including the last day when larger lines passengers turn grouchy and sometimes downright nasty and pushy because they don't want to go home.   Of course none of us wanted to go home either, but everyone was friendly and very nice.   We made so many memories and will always remember a few special people.  Who knows, maybe we will see them again.  We might just book another Transatlantic!  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Thanks for the lovely review.  Could you tell us a little about your cabin?  I am going to be in an aft cabin on Journey next year and would love to know more about it.

Hi, 
Our cabin 7102 was not fully aft looking out to the wake but just a few up the port side with a balcony.  If you have ever sailed on Princess and had a mini suite that is what the balcony cabins are like ......Only better.  Our steward showed us the USB plug at the very bottom of the wall mounted light fixture on each side of the bed.  There are more plug in's at the desk.   The bed is cloud like comfy.   People mentioned on CC about the shower being tiny.  It is indeed if you are not used to European or Asian washrooms so we had no problem.   But if you go to the gym you can use the showers there.        Do so at least once because they are wonderful with rain above and several levels of body facing rain on both sides of your shower.   My husband liked his too and he said it was like taking a shower in a car wash!  😉   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2018 at 9:30 AM, mchell810 said:

Thanks for the lovely review.  Could you tell us a little about your cabin?  I am going to be in an aft cabin on Journey next year and would love to know more about it.

When are you sailing? I am in a true aft verandah-7116-on the Journey sailing January 15 and will have a lot of pics on CC beginning January 25th. 

Norris

1 hour ago, Bimmer09 said:

When are you sailing? I am in a true aft verandah-7116-on the Journey sailing January 15 and will have a lot of pics on CC beginning January 25th. 

Norris

I'm sailing in May in that very cabin! I would love to see any photos and get your impressions after your cruise.

1 hour ago, mchell810 said:

I'm sailing in May in that very cabin! I would love to see any photos and get your impressions after your cruise.

Consider it done. My "reviews" are pretty detailed. I'll be covering every inch of the ship I have access to.

Now I just need to work on an invite to tour the bridge....Bonnie, can you hook me up? (LOL)

Norris

I am so glad you loved your first cruise with us, DuckDuckCruise!  I too enjoy the sea days; relaxing, reading and even knitting. I always bring along a little project. Next time I'll have to join the knitting bee!

If you have time would you write a CC review on your experience on the Journey? The link is at the top right of the page.

Thanks so much.

Bonnie