Cisco Kid

Horizon Aft Havana Balcony - Premium Balcony??

Hello All!!

Our family is planning a Reunion Vacation on the Horizon for January, 2020.  I am a light sleeper and have been reviewing the deck plans before booking to determine the best balcony for my husband and I on Decks 8 or 9. 

Has anyone stayed in the Havana Aft Balcony on Deck 8?   How much music/noice will the cabins get from the pool area and for how long?  Also, the Premium Balconies (Deck 8) are close to the Havana Aft Balconies; does this cabin get music/noise from the Havana area? 

Thanks 

Having stayed in the Havana area in August, I can unequivocally state that there is zero noise from the pool area during the day. If you go to bed early, depending upon the location of your cabin, you may hear music at night from the bar area from the live band. If you're going to be spending the money to upgrade to the Havana area, why spend even more for a balcony?  On our 8 day cruise, there was always chair or loungers available every day in the Havana area with the exception of the first sea day.  I'd book an inside and relax in the Havana area instead of spending even more money for the Havana balcony.  You could use the price differential towards Cheers or shore excursions.

I would avoid Deck 9.  Lido right above and while that section may be less noisy at night, if you sleep in, you'll begin to hear the deck chairs scraping in the early morning.

Is deck 8 aft still Horizon designated?  I thought that only extended up to deck 6. Deck 8 is 3 decks above the Horizon pool. And I don't think you'll hear the music from the night club that far up. 

2 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Is deck 8 aft still Horizon designated?  I thought that only extended up to deck 6. Deck 8 is 3 decks above the Horizon pool. And I don't think you'll hear the music from the night club that far up. 

I am inferring that you meant to say Havana before "designated and pool" in your response.  You are correct regarding the Havana area on the Vista, but additional cabins were re-designated as Havana when the Horizon was built on decks 7-8-9.

Thank you for the information, just what I needed to hear.  All feedback will be taken in consideration and another review of the deck plans before booking.  

Again, thanks so much!!!!!

We had 8465, the Havana aft wrap. It wasn't Havana when we booked, but Carnival expanded the Havana cabins before she left the yard in Italy.  We had no problems with noise, either from the Havana deck or from the Lido. We did end up with an errant ice cream cone on our balcony one morning. I'd happily book the cabin again.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:10 AM, Cisco Kid said:

Has anyone stayed in the Havana Aft Balcony on Deck 8?   How much music/noise will the cabins get from the pool area and for how long? 

I'm glad you asked this question since we already booked  a Havana aft-balcony room on deck 8 for our cruise next November. I was pretty sure deck 8 would be okay, but I was still wondering about what kind of noise we should expect. 

23 minutes ago, nybumpkin said:

We had 8465, the Havana aft wrap.....We had no problems with noise, either from the Havana deck or from the Lido. We did end up with an errant ice cream cone on our balcony one morning. I'd happily book the cabin again.

Good to know.  We're staying in  8469 on the Horizon next November.  I wasn't too concerned about the noise from the Lido or Havana decks but I hadn't researched which -for lack of a better term - service areas were nearby.  I've read some people's room reports about banging sounds,  slamming doors and noisy service trolleys.  

I'm glad to hear you weren't sitting on your balcony when the ice cream cone was dropped down from above.  

17 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you're going to be spending the money to upgrade to the Havana area, why spend even more for a balcony?  On our 8 day cruise, there was always chair or loungers available every day in the Havana area with the exception of the first sea day.  I'd book an inside and relax in the Havana area instead of spending even more money for the Havana balcony.  

I hope you don't mind me giving my answer to your question about why anyone would spend extra on a balcony if they're booking Havana category.  What you're saying makes good sense (and cents)  if the person cruising is indifferent to what a balcony room has to offer. But,  some people - dh and myself being two of them - the balcony is very important to our comfort and to our enjoyment of the cruise.  We tried it once.  We enjoyed everything else about that cruise, but we agreed that from then on, if we couldn't afford a balcony room, we wouldn't go on a cruise until we could.  

I understand where you are coming from since I will probably never cruise without a drinks package again and many feel the same way about a balcony cabin.  It's just you're paying a premium for a balcony and then another premium for the Havana area. It's nice if you can afford it, but you can't be in two places at the same time and if you're enjoying your balcony then the Havana upgrade is wasted.

12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I understand where you are coming from since I will probably never cruise without a drinks package again and many feel the same way about a balcony cabin.  It's just you're paying a premium for a balcony and then another premium for the Havana area. It's nice if you can afford it, but you can't be in two places at the same time and if you're enjoying your balcony then the Havana upgrade is wasted.

I think it depends on what you want from Havana.  DH and I aren't sun worshippers - Northern European ancestry and a family history of skin cancer - so we're not going to hang out in deck chairs in the sun. Havana has shaded areas near the bar and we spent sea day mornings there playing cards. In the afternoon we coated ourselves with sunscreen and spent time in the pool. The main pools are awful - way too crowded.  With Havana, I think we spent more time in the pool than on any other cruise. And our balcony was well used as well, particularly late afternoons before dinner and in the evening. I realize we didn't pay a premium for Havana since we booked before the cabin was designated Havana, but I would book a Havana balcony again.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:15 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Yes, that's true.  I didn't address that last part.  Dh and I have very different ideas about how to enjoy at-sea time.  For the most part, we meet up for meals but otherwise entertain ourselves differently.  I expect I'll spend as much time in the Havana area as he will on our balcony.  

You know, it’s refreshing to hear two people discuss a subject without verbal blows nowadays.  Both people had valid and passionate feelings, BUT yielded a bit to also understand the others point of view.  Bravo to both of you.

We just spent 8 days in cabin 8476.  It was not categorized "Havanna Cabin" at the time of booking, but months later it was !!

You will love the 8th floor.  With that being said, there is 0 privacy on the aft balconies in the Havanna area, so if you are OK with that you will be fine.