Cruise Critic Community
jman101

Price Drop "after final payment" has been made-no savings passed on from Celebrity

I always check to make sure there aren't any new sales on a booked cabin as departure approaches. Today I found a -$400 price drop on an S1 Suite Infinity 5N sailing Dec. 3rd. My TA called to take advantage and was told:

"After final payment Celebrity will not give a refund or ship board credit for the difference in cost."

Not that long ago when I was a home based TA I regularly at least got my clients shipboard credit and sometimes a refund when the price dropped. I don't know if this is a new policy but worth noting.

I would be curious if anyone else has run into this from Celebrity or other cruise lines. I am a regular Celebrity cruiser but not happy with this.

Judd

Edited by jman101
spelling correction

It's not new. X will sometimes (depending on the lunar cycles and other nebulous criteria still held top secret) upgrade your cabin if the new cabin costs more than your original one. 

It's the way it's done on Celebrity -- no adjustment in price after Final Payment.   No OBC, no refund, no adjustment.

And it's been that way for quite a long time.

You might be able to go up a stateroom category for little or no money.

My TA said they would upgrade to a Celebrity Suite (from Sky Suite) for the difference. My TA said that just today she had the same situation with NCL and they give her client a ship credit for the price cut.

It's been many years since Celebrity gave an OBC for price drops after final payment and more still since they gave money back.

Cruise lines drop prices before sailing to move unsold rooms and likely to be at a loss, but enough to help cover some fixed costs.  They cannot afford to give OBC or refunds to other booked passengers otherwise the cruise lines will go out of business. 

Another strategy to make use of lower prices past final payment is to book a cabin that you can live with/happy with and then wait for price drops after final payment to upgrade to a better stateroom for nothing or a little more.  

We now book Aqua and wait for final payment to see if Sky Suite drops enough for us to upgrade.  

For our first cruise with Celebrity, we booked a balcony and upgraded to concierge after final payment when price dropped.  Then we paid more to upgrade to a sky suite when the prices came further down.

4 hours ago, jman101 said:

I always check to make sure there aren't any new sales on a booked cabin as departure approaches. Today I found a -$400 price drop on an S1 Suite Infinity 5N sailing Dec. 3rd. My TA called to take advantage and was told:

"After final payment Celebrity will not give a refund or ship board credit for the difference in cost."

Not that long ago when I was a home based TA I regularly at least got my clients shipboard credit and sometimes a refund when the price dropped. I don't know if this is a new policy but worth noting.

I would be curious if anyone else has run into this from Celebrity or other cruise lines. I am a regular Celebrity cruiser but not happy with this.

Judd

What do you consider “not long ago”?  As other have stated, Celebrity change the policy at least 10 years ago. (Just guessing, but it has been a long time ago)

4 hours ago, jman101 said:

My TA said they would upgrade to a Celebrity Suite (from Sky Suite) for the difference. My TA said that just today she had the same situation with NCL and they give her client a ship credit for the price cut.

What do you mean by this statement?  Your TA gave you the option to upgrade to  Celebrity Suite without any extra charge?

They ended up offering to upgrade me to a CS and apply the savings. I went along with this. The difference was not that much to make the upgrade.

It was in 2010 that Celebrity (and sister line RCI) made a dramatic cutback with regards to taking advantage of price-drops and used marketing spin to call this cutback the "Best Price Guarantee." Prior to this one could obtain OBC for price drops after final payment (i.e. if the price dropped $500 from what you had paid, you could obtain $500 in OBC). The Best Price Guarantee, despite it sounding like something good, essentially took away post final payment price-drops outside of a rare situation where the cruise is not booked until after final payment (if so you have a 48 hour period where you can receive credit for price-drops).

Edited by Gonzo70

That’s why I never look at prices after Final. I’m usually not interested in even a SR upgrade. Not worth it to me. I’m a bit surprised the TA wasn’t fully aware of this. Having seen this subject on many of the forums, especially here, few Lines give OBC and fewer (if any) give money back. Why would they? I’ve seen a few posts about getting OBC, but not sure if they are legit. There’s always someone insisting how they beat the system or got a better deal then everyone else, or.......yeah, right. 

I don’t look for SR upgrades because I don’t want to fall in love with a Suite!! We initially had Oceanview SRs, but was offered a Veranda for a few bucks more. Did it.......and never went back. Those dirty rat cruise people got me hooked on balconies and I don’t even think about changing.

I see it this way: my wife takes a ‘few minutes’ more than I do to get ready. So instead of me standing there asking her if I can help or asking how much longer will she be, she puts me out on the balcony and I just sit and watch the horizon or count how long a flying fish can remain out of the water trying to get away from whatever is trying to eat the poor thing! 

enough. OP, you got an upgraded SR. Fantastic. Enjoy. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

5 hours ago, jman101 said:

Judd

Pretty much the norm on all of the mainstream lines, Princess, Celebrity, Royal, HAL, Carnival, etc.  Has been for several years. Don't know about NCL since I refuse to sail them after my last experience with them.

Your best price is what you can get prior to final payment date.  The other option is wait until after that date and hope you can get what you want and that the price drops.

Edited by RDC1

29 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

Pretty much the norm on all of the mainstream lines, Princess, Celebrity, Royal, HAL, Carnival, etc.  Has been for several years. Don't know about NCL since I refuse to sail them after my last experience with them.

Your best price is what you can get prior to final payment date.  The other option is wait until after that date and hope you can get what you want and that the price drops.

They ended up making it right for me by allowing me to use the price drop as part of an upgrade. That make me happy again.

1 hour ago, jman101 said:

They ended up making it right for me by allowing me to use the price drop as part of an upgrade. That make me happy again.

...and they got more money out of you in the process.  Everyone wins.

I never understand why people are upset by this. You agreed to a price and paid it. It makes zero sense for the cruise line to give you the difference if there is a price adjustment once the payment is due. If you buy a car in June and it's now $3000 less in August, do you expect the manufacturer to give you something in return? 

Would you have been happier if they asked you for more money because the price of your catagory went up?

2 hours ago, jman101 said:

which is what everyone is saying.  Enjoy your upgrade.

1 hour ago, CanadianTourist said:

Do most people that cruise frequently wait until the very end to book their trips then?  

It seems like this would guarantee you the lowest rates.

Some often wait until after final payment to hope for a good deal. However, prices do not necessarily drop (could go up) and if they do drop, they may not drop below the price that was available when the cruise was first offered.

Many others like to book as soon as the cruise becomes available to get the best choice of cabins and in the US (and I believe also in Canada) to guarantee the lowest price prior to final payment since if the price increases they have locked in the lowest price and if the price drops prior to final payment, they can have the cabin repriced to the new lower price. Of course they need to also take into account any changes in the number of included perks.

It's all based on supply & demand and prices are more likely to increase on the rarer cruises such as trans-Pacific and certain Asian cruises. My wife and I took a B2B in the fall of 2016 from Japan to Singapore - booked an Aqua cabin about 20 months in advance - and by the final payment date Aqua cabins were no longer available on the first leg and priced about 50% higher on the second leg. Between the final payment dates and the departure dates Aqua cabins on the first leg never became available and the price on the second leg only dropped down to about 40% higher than the price we paid 20 months in advance.

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

This doesn't sound all that different to me.  Most of our Celebrity cruises have only gone up after we booked [especially Edge Jan. 20] – and thankfully X has never asked for more money!  The 2016 cruise in the Med was very soft and we were able to get price reductions (including upgrades at lower cost) several times before final payment, and after final payment one final upgrade at the same price [which was higher than the post-FP website price for that cabin].  The upshot was we got a CS for $200 less pp than our original A1 cabin – but we did not get a price reduction or OBC increase after final payment.

I agree with the observations that many of the cruises go up in price as time goes by. Depends on the itinerary and it’s popularity. I book early (very early sometimes!) to get a good cabin; to be able to plan on enjoying the departure port area by staying a few days and vactioning there; to get a decent price on flights to and from the departure/return cities; start looking at the varous ports of call and getting private or ship tours that I want......so many reasons.

And yes, I make an early reservation and the price drops. Hope someone can take advantage of it. Does it really drop That Much??? Trust me (well, I wouldn’t), there is always someone onboard who got a cheaper price than you paid for a comparable SR: and if you are tacky enough to go around asking, there is someone who certainly got a deal 1/2 the cost of what you paid......no matter what cabin and no matter what you and they actually paid.  And anyone who goes around taking about specific prices deserves the guy who will Always beat your good deal. Personally, I Dont Care, and it’s sad how many people do. 

Den 

Edited by Denny01

3 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

which is what everyone is saying.  Enjoy your upgrade.

ChezMayLou - love your Pittsburgh Stonger!! We are!!!!

Den

5 hours ago, jman101 said:

Congratulations.

We are early bookers and never had the prices drop after we booked until our last cruise. We booked over a year out a price we were happy w. Leading up to final payment the prices nearly doubled. Then after final payment the prices dropped dramatically to a few hundred pp less than we paid. Called and options were a free upgrade to concierge (not interested because we liked the location of our cabin) Or pay the difference to upgrade to aqua. Someone else on my sailing reported that they received OBC for the price drop but we were told no. What irked me a bit is that we were booked under go big. The new lower prices were under go better. While they would let us pay to upgrade they wouldn’t give us the ‘go better’ for it. So paying the same price new bookers were paying to get 2 perks while only getting one. So we stayed where we were.