Going going gone sale

19 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I can understand the Plusgrade (Royal Up) site being blocked (not an RCCL hosted site) but not sure why the flier is.

Many rccl.com domains don't resolve over Voom.  For example, printing luggage tags for an upcoming cruise while on board a current cruise re-directs to an rccl.com domain and you can't do it on board, no DNS resolution.

Use a VPN to resolve them properly.

Edited by twangster

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Many rccl.com domains don't resolve over Voom.  For example, printing luggage tags for an upcoming cruise while on board a current cruise re-directs to an rccl.com domain and you can't do it on board, no DNS resolution.

I assumed Carol was talking about getting to sites without VOOM - RCCL related sites which should be freely accessible. Though if they don't resolve with VOOM, they won't without either.

38 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Funny/NotFunny Department.

Guess what's blocked on board a Royal Caribbean ship?

Royal Caribbean's flyer.

(and the RoyalUp response site)

What a cruise line!

😮 

Since your on board, try this link:

http://12.45.86.125/Sales/Royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/rci_sales_event.pdf

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I assumed Carol was talking about getting to sites without VOOM - RCCL related sites which should be freely accessible. Though if they don't resolve with VOOM, they won't without either.

royalcaribbean.com domains work fine over Voom, it's just some rccl.com domains that don't.

I first noticed it on board.  I could check in on-line but not print luggage tags.  When I looked at the URL it contained a rccl.com domain. 

1692276966_rcclcantbereached.thumb.jpeg.184026942e0db1124cbe532c386e9dca.jpeg

I did an NSLOOKUP and it failed, no resolution.

A few cruises later when a RoyalUp email was received and I was on board I clicked the link in the email.  It failed.  It first goes to an rccl.com domain where it redirects to Plusgrade but without resolving the rccl.com domain first I couldn't reach the Plusgrade site.  Again using NSLOOKUP I noted the rccl.com domain failed to resolve.

Activating a VPN allowed me to use an external DNS server and both worked.

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Funny/NotFunny Department.

Guess what's blocked on board a Royal Caribbean ship?

Royal Caribbean's flyer.

(and the RoyalUp response site)

What a cruise line!

😮 

I'm not sure the site is blocked on purpose.  I think they have a problem resolving any rccl.com names.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

What else could I be on?  Of course I'm on VOOM.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

That worked!

🙂

4 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

So it was a name resolution problem!

Yep.  Weird that rccl.com domains can't resolve over Voom and I've tried to mention it to them but I think they thought I was crazy or had some other computer issue.  What could this idiot possibly know :) 

20 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

What else could I be on?  Of course I'm on VOOM.

I assumed you were talking about not being able to get to those sites without being logged into VOOM, which does work on most RCCL related sites.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 5:03 PM, twangster said:

You don't need a VPN, just change the DNS servers to something public (e.g. 8.8.8.8) instead of the ship's.

4 hours ago, Aduntu said:

You don't need a VPN, just change the DNS servers to something public (e.g. 8.8.8.8) instead of the ship's.

As long as the firewall doesn't rewrite DNS responses.

Changing DNS servers can cause other issues such as logging out of Voom.  It may not work if your switch DNS servers since you won't be re-directed to the Voom log off page.  For any one who wants to switch devices that can be an issue.

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

As long as the firewall doesn't rewrite DNS responses.

True, but I assume the ship wouldn't have an internal site at creative.rccl.com that they'd be using rewrites for.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Changing DNS servers can cause other issues such as logging out of Voom.  It may not work if your switch DNS servers since you won't be re-directed to the Voom log off page.  For any one who wants to switch devices that can be an issue.

What other issues? Once you're finished at the problem sites just remove public DNS. Most people don't use VPNs so it's workaround for those without.

11 minutes ago, Aduntu said:

Most people don't use VPNs so it's workaround for those without.

Most people reading this have no idea what a DNS server is or where to change it.  Some have at least have heard of VPN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Most people reading this have no idea what a DNS server is or where to change it.  Some have at least have heard of VPN.

First Google result shows how to do it in six taps on an iPhone.

Not an attack, just an alternative.

4 minutes ago, Aduntu said:

First Google result shows how to do it in six taps on an iPhone.

Not an attack, just an alternative.

Fails the mom and dad test.  

Is this something I'd tell my mother or father to do?  No.  

YMMV

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Fails the mom and dad test.  

Is this something I'd tell my mother or father to do?  No.  

YMMV

Your call. But your opinion shouldn’t dissuade others when it’s a reasonable (and no cost) option to overcome the specific issue that was presented.

11 minutes ago, Aduntu said:

Your call. But your opinion shouldn’t dissuade others when it’s a reasonable (and no cost) option to overcome the specific issue that was presented.

Most people aren't going to remember to back out the changes.  They get disconnected from Voom and now they can't log back in because they aren't re-directed because they changed the DNS settings.  

I've managed help desks at technology companies.  Highly technical people get completely screwed up when they start messing with DNS settings.  Then they get frustrated and start doing even more stupid things trying to fix it.  Then we get the call that "the internet is down" or "the network is broken".

Here on CC it will be "Voom worked for a day then didn't the rest of the cruise".  It's cool you understand these things but you are going to screw someone up.