Bringing wine on board

lilybug

Q.

Can I bring alcoholic beverages on board?

A.

No beer or hard liquor may be brought onboard for consumption. If you wish to bring personal wine onboard with you on the day you board your cruise, you may do so, limited to two (2) 750ml bottles per stateroom. When enjoyed in any shipboard restaurant, bar or dining venue, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.

1 hour ago, dkjretired said:

Also, to add to above comments, wine is only allowed to be brought on board at embarkation, not at ports.  If you buy it at ports it will be held until you leave the ship. 

When we do European cruises, they usually don't care. We have done winery tours and brought back 4 bottles of wine and they let us keep it.   

As with most things Celebrity, it depends.  The policy is clearly stated above...2 750ml bottles of wine per cabin at embarkation...anything in excess or purchased at any port is stored for you and returned the last night for packing. 

However, the implementation of the policy varies widely.  We just completed a 14 night cruise where no one even scanned or asked what we had in our hand luggage when we boarded and they scanned at each port, but didn't question the bottle of wine I brought on at two of the ports.  Anything we carried-on just went with us to our cabin.  We have been on other cruises where they scan everything and if they see a bottle they follow the policy.  We have been on one cruise where they scanned my day bag at a port, saw a bottle of liquor, asked me to check it at the table against the wall...I said OK..picked up my bag and there was no table anywhere....so I just took it to my cabin.  Finally, if you are on B2B cruises, remember anything you "stored" with them during the first cruise is returned the last night of the first cruise, for packing...but since you are staying on the ship, you are now stuck with those bottles in your cabin for the second cruise.....darn!

I don't think the careful scans are confined to any geography...I've had vodka in my cabin from St Maartin, Grappa from Rome, etc.  I think it has more to do with shorter cruises with younger folks who might really misuse that alcohol....e.g. shorter cruises during spring break in the Caribbean.

Whatever happens on your cruise...just smile and go with the flow...expect the policy to be enforced and maybe be surprised.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

Be sure to pack a wine corkscrew in your luggage, and don't plan to drink the wine in the dining room....hence, no corkage fee.  Also, if you have a beverage package, it won't really pay to bring wine aboard...

I am more than a little concerned that you were able to board a ship without having your hand baggage scanned.   Surely this is a security violation of the highest order!!!   Good thing no one was bringing any bombs, handguns, knives, etc on board.   I would not feel safe on the ship after witnessing such a flagrant violation.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am more than a little concerned that you were able to board a ship without having your hand baggage scanned.   Surely this is a security violation of the highest order!!!   Good thing no one was bringing any bombs, handguns, knives, etc on board.   I would not feel safe on the ship after witnessing such a flagrant violation.

No matter the cruise lines we've sailed with or the embarkation port we left from our carry-ons are always scanned. 

Not sure what cercumstance was being described about carry-ons not being scanned when initially boarding. My experience is the scanning on All our cruises at departure port was done in the port facilities and you then boarded. No scanning on the actual boarding because it had been done as you passed through the facility security. 

At ports of call, scanning was done onboard and done at every port. Yup, carried a few bottles that they didn’t take away, and checked into security more than a few that they did. So I don’t see this as a security issue. 

Den 

Edited by Denny01

15 hours ago, DENIE said:

Be sure to pack a wine corkscrew in your luggage, and don't plan to drink the wine in the dining room....hence, no corkage fee.  Also, if you have a beverage package, it won't really pay to bring wine aboard...

We almost always have the prem bev package but almost always bring a couple bottles of wine.

It's nice to have in the room for impromptu sipping on the veranda or while getting ready for dinner & having it right there saves a trip to a bar since minibar items aren't included (though admittedly those extra steps are honestly a good idea 😏!) 

Another plus - having our own avoids the (fairly regular) mystery of never knowing what you're gonna get given the inconsistent wine offerings from bar to bar from day to day... 

11 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Dont fret...bags were scanned by port security at embarkation...not on the ship,  bags were also scanned at every port.  They just didn’t care if you had a bottle of wine/liquor.  Additionally passengers always passed through metal detectors.  No security risks...just a lack of concern about alcohol.

Don't take on a corkscrew. Dangerous weapon!

Once again I apologize to all the folk behind me in Venice! I thought they meant I had a bottle of wine in my bag. Completely misunderstood. I had bought it as the one in our rented flat had broken and I am mean.

I picked it up from the Naughty Table on leaving holding up the people running to catch the train to Rome.

Oh how they laughed.

We bought wine in the duty free shop in Kusadasi between security and the ship. Allowed to keep it which we didn't expect.

23 hours ago, mmsJack said:

We almost always have the prem bev package but almost always bring a couple bottles of wine.

It's nice to have in the room for impromptu sipping on the veranda or while getting ready for dinner & having it right there saves a trip to a bar since minibar items aren't included (though admittedly those extra steps are honestly a good idea 😏!) 

Another plus - having our own avoids the (fairly regular) mystery of never knowing what you're gonna get given the inconsistent wine offerings from bar to bar from day to day... 

We too will bring our two bottles on in order to enjoy a glass on our balcony!  Despite our next cruise only being 5 days, we won't have an issue finishing off a bottle each!

snow bunny

8 hours ago, morbihan said:

Don't take on a corkscrew. Dangerous weapon!

Once again I apologize to all the folk behind me in Venice! I thought they meant I had a bottle of wine in my bag. Completely misunderstood. I had bought it as the one in our rented flat had broken and I am mean.

I picked it up from the Naughty Table on leaving holding up the people running to catch the train to Rome.

Oh how they laughed.

We bought wine in the duty free shop in Kusadasi between security and the ship. Allowed to keep it which we didn't expect.

Horrible advice and wrong!

Not at all. I was there.

I had a corkscrew in my bag and it was confiscated.

If it was in a suitcase not a bag, it might have got on but as I explained it was just in my bag after leaving our flat. It was not alone on the Naughty Table when we left either.

50 minutes ago, morbihan said:

Not at all. I was there.

If it was in a suitcase not a bag, it might have got on but as I explained it was just in my bag after leaving our flat. It was not alone on the Naughty Table when we left either.

I'm sure there were others in the naughty room. But all for corkscrews? I doubt it. Did your corkscrew have a knife style foil cutter that is was over an inch long? I always have a corkscrew (and we no longer bring wine onboard) in our first aid kit which is packed in our checked luggage. It has a .25 inch knife style foil cuter on it. I never been called to the naughty room or has it ever been confiscated. A lot of posters on CC (including myself) even recommend taking your own corkscrew as the one provided by Celebrity (if you request one) suck. 

Edited by davekathy

2 hours ago, morbihan said:

I just purchased a corkscrew in Barcelona, put it in my day bag and carried it on to the ship...they scanned the bag....and didn't ask or say anything.

OTOH, just after 9/11, I was passing through LaGuardia airport and the security inspectors confiscated my gum massager....now there's a terribly dangerous weapon.....As I sat on the plane, the lady in front of me sat there knitting (think about those needles).

I think I’ve taken a corkscrew or a knife combination with one in it on pretty much every cruise of the 32+ I’ve taken and never had an issue.  Maybe it was a 1ft long corkscrew that popped out when you pressed a button-kind of like a switchblade????

Den