Jump to content
dritan

Any bloggers in Jan 2019?

Recommended Posts

My 2018 World Cruise used parts of 7 pages of my passport.  There were stamps from the Philippines, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Namibia, Thailand, Singapore, Mozambique, South Africa, The Gambia, and one other which is too blurry to read.  That is less than a third of the countries we visited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

 

Interesting. Let's see, few of the countries on my list need the full-blown one or two page visa deal with photo: India comes to mind, and possibly Jordan.

 

Most are are "visa on arrival" or e-visa/ETA countries that probably don't need a photo:  Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia,  Sri Lanka, UAE, Egypt, Turkey. Some of these will probably be "ship-wide" visas and not even involve our passports, like Oman.  But some will no doubt need a page.

 

Other countries that don't require visa for me (Canadian), but will need space for stamps, including possibly entry and exit stamps:  Ecuador, Peru, Chile, French Polynesia, New Zealand, Indonesia,  Malaysia, Israel.  Then there's Europe, presumably at least one entry upon entering Schengen.

 

I would have to research each one to know if they need two full pages, one full page, or entry and exit stamps.  These latter include French Polynesia, Peru and Ecuador, and probably many others.  

 

Just ballparking this, I could easily imagine needing at least 16-20 pages.  I'll have to wait and see.  My passport is fairly new and has a fair amount of space, but I'll have to take advice from the cruise line when the time comes.

 

I had to renew my passport in the spring and Oceania recommended getting the largest one here in the USA...has 52 pages. Same cost as the smaller one. 

 

As far as what the cruiseline does for visas...it sounds like Regent is the same as Oceania.  The "we take care of it for you" doesn't mean that you do nothing....VisaCentral will contact you and give clear instructions of what YOU need to do. For China and India we filled out the applications (lots of info needed), printed them and sent them to a VisaCentral office with passport photos and passport. China photo had to be trimmed to an exact size. It's not like they do everything for you...they do it all for you AFTER you send it in. Plus, 3 other of our visas had to have forms filled out, so you'll have to do that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

I had to renew my passport in the spring and Oceania recommended getting the largest one here in the USA...has 52 pages. Same cost as the smaller one. 

 

As far as what the cruiseline does for visas...it sounds like Regent is the same as Oceania.  The "we take care of it for you" doesn't mean that you do nothing....VisaCentral will contact you and give clear instructions of what YOU need to do. For China and India we filled out the applications (lots of info needed), printed them and sent them to a VisaCentral office with passport photos and passport. China photo had to be trimmed to an exact size. It's not like they do everything for you...they do it all for you AFTER you send it in. Plus, 3 other of our visas had to have forms filled out, so you'll have to do that too.

Although Viking uses a different provider, the process is exactly the same.

 

In addition to the basic service that Viking pays for, I believe GenVisa offers a premium service where you only fill out 1 form, provide the requisite number of passport photos and passport. Based on the info you provide, they complete each of the Visa application forms. They charge a couple hundred dollars for this service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Although Viking uses a different provider, the process is exactly the same.

 

In addition to the basic service that Viking pays for, I believe GenVisa offers a premium service where you only fill out 1 form, provide the requisite number of passport photos and passport. Based on the info you provide, they complete each of the Visa application forms. They charge a couple hundred dollars for this service.

 

VisaCentral offers that too...it costs $200-300! The process isn't hard enough to justify the cost,  IMHO.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

VisaCentral offers that too...it costs $200-300! The process isn't hard enough to justify the cost,  IMHO.   

I agree.  By the time you give them all the information they want you could just as easily have filled out the individual forms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

 

VisaCentral offers that too...it costs $200-300! The process isn't hard enough to justify the cost,  IMHO.   

My thoughts too. At $300 US, we have to add another 35% exchange, so I'll be completing the forms myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:40 AM, HotRoot said:

 

Not many.  Maybe 6 or 8?


When I responded before, I was in a different state than my cruise documents.. We are now in the same house.  I double checked what Regent had to say about blank pages.  They say you need one or two blank pages for each country you need a visa for after you board.  We need three visas - Cambodia,  Vietnam, and Myanmar.  I read that as 6 blank pages.  Never do they mention blank pages for countries which do not require a visa.  We have lots of blank pages so are not concerned.  I will report back in six months. 

 

Wendy - You can get your passport stamped at Machu Picchu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HotRoot said:


When I responded before, I was in a different state than my cruise documents.. We are now in the same house.  I double checked what Regent had to say about blank pages.  They say you need one or two blank pages for each country you need a visa for after you board.  We need three visas - Cambodia,  Vietnam, and Myanmar.  I read that as 6 blank pages.  Never do they mention blank pages for countries which do not require a visa.  We have lots of blank pages so are not concerned.  I will report back in six months. 

 

Wendy - You can get your passport stamped at Machu Picchu.

 

Thanks, we're not going to Machu Picchu.  Can't take high altitude. 

 

I agree that by the time you have checked all your visas for correctness and completeness, you could have filled out the forms required by the premium service.  Not worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing about the forms...the instruction's they provide don't always exactly explain, or in some cases seem to contradict what is required....but Visa Central does have a free support line to call, where they explained the proper procedure to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're doing the World Cruise on Regent in 2020.  Our travel agent checked with them and was told we should allow for 12-15 blank pages.   My current passport has fewer than that, so I will get a new one (with 52 pages)  even though it it doesn't expire until 2027.  Oh well.  I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, baz48 said:

We're doing the World Cruise on Regent in 2020.  Our travel agent checked with them and was told we should allow for 12-15 blank pages.   My current passport has fewer than that, so I will get a new one (with 52 pages)  even though it it doesn't expire until 2027.  Oh well.  I'd rather be safe than sorry later.

 

I'll have to wait and see until mid-2020.  My current passport is good until 2026 and has quite a few blanks (since it's only 2 years old), but fingers crossed it will be enough.  Not much travel in the interim, so maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d you happen to have a visa in your old passport book that is still valid, just remember to bring both books.  For me, just one more thing I’m afraid I’ll lose or forget..  packing for our RTW that leaves in a few weeks.  Going just a little crazy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can totally relate to the going crazy part! I go through that every fall and spring when we go south for the winter, and come back north in the spring.  But it's not quite as bad as you guys since keeping in touch is still possible and we can forward our mail.  But I can kind of imagine what you're going through.

 

What shots did you have to get?  In the past we've had yellow fever (expired, but don't need it next time), malaria pills for some loations, twinrix (hep a/b), the usual boosters like tetanus.  Plus we tried Dukoral for traveller's tummy (only mitigates, doesn't prevent.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 12:34 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What shots did you have to get?  In the past we've had yellow fever (expired, but don't need it next time), malaria pills for some loations, twinrix (hep a/b), the usual boosters like tetanus.  Plus we tried Dukoral for traveller's tummy (only mitigates, doesn't prevent.)

We have had all of the above + a few others. We take our detailed itinerary, including any inland shore excursions we are planning to a local travel clinic. We get a consultation with the travel doc, where DW (retired Trauma RN) does all the talking. I just roll up both sleeves and let the nurse get to work.

 

Latest I read on Yellow Fever, is that it is no longer only valid for 10 years - now valid for life. Not sure if the older vaccinations are considered as good for life, or whether we will require another booster. Will have that discussion next year, just before the cruise in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 3:34 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

What shots did you have to get?  In the past we've had yellow fever (expired, but don't need it next time), malaria pills for some loations, twinrix (hep a/b), the usual boosters like tetanus.  Plus we tried Dukoral for traveller's tummy (only mitigates, doesn't prevent.)

 

I'm going through getting immunizations now.  Had the flu shot last month and theTdap was 6 yrs ago so still good.  My employer requires them, plus I just had a negative TB test.  I was going to go to a travel clinic, but the initial fee was $80 then each immunization cost $150-400!  And they did not accept insurance.  So.....I decided to go to my local CVS Minute Clinic.  My insurance covers anything and everything at CVS.  The nurse practitioner and pharmacist consulted with me (using the CDC guidelines) and we decided to go with the Twinrix (Hep A & B combo) which is 3 shots in 30 days, Prevnar-13 pneumonia shot, and Typhoid Fever capsules (took 4 capsules, 1 every other day).  I wanted a polio booster and cholera vaccine, but they didn't recommend it.  I had the Hep B series about 25 years ago so they thought it was wise to just get it again instead of running a titre and next year I'll get the Prevnar-23 shot.  Our cruise is not going anywhere that Yellow Fever is an issue so didn't get that.  Decided against malaria meds cuz they can have nasty side effects....will use DEET spray on skin and Permethrin spray on clothing for areas with mosquitos.  I have pretty sore arms right now, but am glad to be able to get these before leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy

Our 10 year yellow fever shots expired this month. When we visited Travel Medicine on the North Shore last month they said "good for life".

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Two4Sea said:

Hi Andy

 

Our 10 year yellow fever shots expired this month. When we visited Travel Medicine on the North Shore last month they said "good for life".

 

Bill

 

Thanks Bill - have already had 3 of them, so good to know that is 1 less in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Two4Sea said:

Hi Andy

 

Our 10 year yellow fever shots expired this month. When we visited Travel Medicine on the North Shore last month they said "good for life".

 

 

 

Bill

 

 

Oh, that's very good to know!  Ours expired a couple of years ago (although I don't think we need them on our upcoming itinerary.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Victory Cruise Lines Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win a free 9-night cruise on Victory II
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2018
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×