Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

Gerry - what I typed is what is on the sheet given to us.  Yes - it is the price per bottle - we get “tastes” (too many in some cases).  Will take photos - just for you:-) Yes the lunch includes wine

More of the cocktail menu below:

image.jpg

image.jpg

6 hours ago, BBWC said:

Ok, I have to vent on something we saw yesterday that I find disturbing. We were in line to check in for our reservation at Chartreuse and the guy in front of us slips the maitre d’  a $20 bill, which he accepted! Not only that, he was not in the least bit surprised, indicating that it was done before. We can only surmise that the couple in front of us did not have a reservation and bought their way in. I can see now why Regent decided to take the specialty restaurant reservations away from the maitre d’s and put up a reservation desk. But now the whole thing happens out in the open.

Saw this happen on Voyager last year; except I saw $50 change hands.  I hung out at bar in Horizon Lounge and saw this happen on more than one occasion.  I included on my comment card but it looks like Regent still condones it; if they did not, then employees would refuse as it would risk their jobs.

edited to add:  I remember thinking this was silly as there wasn't ever a problem getting into Chartreuse; I just kept thinking that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Marc

Edited by Marq
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marq said:

Saw this happen on Voyager last year; except I saw $50 change hands.  I hung out at bar in Horizon Lounge and saw this happen on more than one occasion.  I included on my comment card but it looks like Regent still condones it; if they did not, then employees would refuse as it would risk their jobs.

edited to add:  I remember thinking this was silly as there wasn't ever a problem getting into Chartreuse; I just kept thinking that "a fool and his money are soon parted."

Marc

So surprised by both stories, but I am bothered more by the money changing hands in Chartreuse.  For some reason the money given in the bar seems to be more of a "tip" for good service while the money given to the Maitre D at Chartreuse appears to be a "bribe".  And can you bribe your way into these specialty restaurants? 

6 minutes ago, morneau said:

So surprised by both stories, but I am bothered more by the money changing hands in Chartreuse.  For some reason the money given in the bar seems to be more of a "tip" for good service while the money given to the Maitre D at Chartreuse appears to be a "bribe".  And can you bribe your way into these specialty restaurants? 

You misunderstood; I was in Horizon Lounge watching the "bribe" being handed over in Chartreuse.  But now I am questioning my memory as although you can look through entrance of Chartreuse from my seat at end of bar, you don't necessarily see the Maitre'd stand.  Maybe it was tips in bar and maybe it was Mariner (obviously no entrance to Chartreuse in Horizon Lounge on Mariner); regardless, I thought it a strange sight.

Edited by Marq

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks for posting the Champagne list Jackie.   The only one I like to drink (aside from Vincent Joudart!) is Veuve Cliquot so I am very happy about that price.   We will celebrate our 55th Anniversary on the Splendour cruise and I plan to buy a bottle for our suite (Suite comes with a bottle of "the Widow" on embarkation but it will have disappeared by then...)

Hold on tightly as you start to rock and roll!   Stay safe!

Gerry

We were in an Explorer Suite, and as a perk received a 10% discount on a bottle of VC champagne we ordered one evening.  Made it taste even better than usual!

So, tonight was the night of Miso Glazed Sea Bass.  Lovely Roxanne decided to order a double portion for us and it was delicious.  My favorite dish onboard without a doubt.

Seas are beginning to get rougher and is obviously felt more on the upper decks.  Dennis (my DH) decided not to go up there after this visit to the computer room due the difficulty in standing up.  I, on the other hand, will check it out and may have some champagne up there.

Again, nothing exciting to report.  Passengers are calm, quiet and very nice.  The crew is over the top!

19 hours ago, BBWC said:

Ok, I have to vent on something we saw yesterday that I find disturbing. We were in line to check in for our reservation at Chartreuse and the guy in front of us slips the maitre d’  a $20 bill, which he accepted! Not only that, he was not in the least bit surprised, indicating that it was done before. We can only surmise that the couple in front of us did not have a reservation and bought their way in. I can see now why Regent decided to take the specialty restaurant reservations away from the maitre d’s and put up a reservation desk. But now the whole thing happens out in the open.

By the way, I do not see why someone would want to bribe their way into Chartreuse, because we were very disappointed with our meal. The appetizers were fine if tiny, but the entrees were pretty much inedible. I had the veal filet which was basically half fat, and my husband had a very tasteless and breaded lobster. Chartreuse was already our least favorite restaurant on Explorer, but this was much worse. Also, the menu on the Voyager is more limited than on the Explorer and the dishes we liked there (duck, seabass) were not even offered.

Frankly, you dont know if this people had or didnt have reservations , and just wanted to ensure they were give a nice table or whatever. In any event, for anybody to be "shocked" at this is silly. Its human nature. 

16 hours ago, morneau said:

I must agree with foragap as I am legitimately shocked as well that the maitre'd accepted the tip.  Did this couple buy their way into the reservation?  We consider ourselves to be reasonably astute as to the ways of the world but I did not expect this kind of thing was happening on Regent.  If indeed  true, it is extremely disappointing.

You're really "shocked"?? Cant understand why. You know nothing about the relationship of these pax with the maitre D'. Maybe he's been extra nice to them, whatever. I dont tip on  Regent, but if some do and get a more personal service due to that, so be it!

16 hours ago, forgap said:

I don’t know if I’m more shocked at the maitre’d being slipped the $20 or accepting the $20.  It’s like a scene out of a “B” movie.    I realize as academics, we navigate the world differently than people in business, but I find the whole transaction awkward and uncomfortable - perhaps because I could never imagine pulling it off myself.  One of the reasons we keep returning to Regent is we don't have to contend with this kind of thing.  It also smacks of elitism which is also absent on Regent. 

Really?? Did you ever watch Cabaret, "Money makes the world go around".... Yeah... "I'm shocked, shocked, that gambling is going on in here!!" ( from another movie, Casablanca)

Last year on Explorer my wife and I celebrated in Chartreuse with a dinner on our wedding anniversary night.  The staff was lukewarm and seated us in a wall booth table when more than a few window tables were available - and never filled.   I thought that maybe I should have asked for a nice(r) table and / or slipped the maitre’d a gratuitous tip.  We weren’t impressed with the meal either...

I’m sort of the middle in terms of being shocked butI was definitely surprised to read about it and somehow it hits home more when it is happening while you are on the ship.

To me bribing is quite different than tipping.  If, as was the case here, someone bribes their way into Chartreuse the restaurant service could suffer.  Chartreuse (P7 and Pacific Rim) stagger their reservations. This allows them to serve wine and take orders for the 6:30 reservations before the 7:00 reservations arrive and so forth.   There are also passengers that stop by the restaurants to learn if there has been a cancellation.   My point is that someone bribing their way into a restaurant can affect passengers in a negative way

On another topic, Tesla’s were rough last night but they are more like swells.  The sky is clear, it is warm outside —there are just some waves.  Had this occurrred during the first few days on board I would be taking pills for seasickness.  However, I have my “sea legs” add the difficulty is walking a straight line.

Will take photos of the onboard activities later in the day.  Oops - just heard crashing dishes in the kitchen of La Veranda.

Too often my iPad changes words and posts end up sounding stupid (like “Teslas” being rough instead of “seas being rough last night).  

In terms of the other subject, we were not there and are only reacting to the poster.  In our 32 cruises we have not seen money pass hands between a passenger and a maitre ‘d.

Below is the caviar bar. Going to take another photo as the second one didn’t work and we not have another opportuity to film this.

image.jpg

Edited by Travelcat2

MMMM! Yes, it's Sunday am. John is busy chopping the onion, the local sturgeon has stopped by to offer her roe and I'm searching in the fridge for that perfectly chilled Champers............NOT! Loved the photo, so we're living thru your pix!

Hope your weather holds and things won't get too rough! Have a Bloody Mary for me sometime today or tomorrow or the next day! A Margarita would be a good substitute! Carry on!

Is John cooking for us?  Wishful thinking!

forgap, I’m all for keeping this thread calm.  Thank you.

Having lunch in CR as it is easier to walk on deck 4 than it is on deck 11.  Also, I’m really enjoying the entree Caesar Salad with shrimp.  So yummy.   Think that I’ll take a photo when it is served.

I am loving the new way to post photos.  My favorite is to post and use the “Click to choose files” method when I simply take a photo.  Very easy.

image.jpg