Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Enjoy your thanksgiving.   Ken and I at dinner tonight noted that it was Thanksgiving tomorrow and that we were giving thanks (lots of thanks!) NOT to have to eat turkey!!  To each his own...

I love a beautiful oven-roasted turkey with all the typical "fixings" (stuffing, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, cranberry jelly, etc.) accompanied by a nice pinot noir, champagne, or presecco, and finished off with a piece of warm pecan pie (and topped with vanilla ice cream)..........ONCE A YEAR!  😜

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

I love a beautiful oven-roasted turkey with all the typical "fixings" (stuffing, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, cranberry jelly, etc.) accompanied by a nice pinot noir, champagne, or presecco, and finished off with a piece of warm pecan pie (and topped with vanilla ice cream)..........ONCE A YEAR!  😜

I could eat that once a month all year!

Gerry- I can understand that some people do not care for turkey.  Dennis and I try to eat fish, chicken, turkey, lamb and then beef (in that order).  I should be a vegetarian due to my extreme love for animals but sadly, I have not been able to accomplish this.  Apparently my daughter is doing it for me as she became vegetarian and now is vegan.  We hope to have her onboard Splendor for lunch on embarkation day of the Splendor in San Diego.  

Re: Chartreuse. Have to admit we too much preferred the menu in Signatures. We are long time Regent cruisers and are usually on board for 2 months over the holidays(including this year on the Mariner)  and the menu in Chartreuse gets really boring .Have mentioned it many times to the maître d on each ship but nothing seems to change. Signatures used to change the menu every week and we loved it

I skipped posting activities for today and instead are posting activities for tomorrow.  Very excited to ave the Country Fair (if anyone needs a description of this fun event, please ask and I will post it.  In the meantime, here are events for Thanksgiving.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I skipped posting activities for today and instead are posting activities for tomorrow.  Very excited to ave the Country Fair (if anyone needs a description of this fun event, please ask and I will post it.  In the meantime, here are events for Thanksgiving.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just got back from our dinner in Prime 7 and while the food was fine (not great but good), it was incredibly hectic and noisy. It was like being in a railway station. We surely miss the intimacy of Prime 7 on Navigator, but even on Explorer it was much better. Not sure if we will be back.

On 11/19/2018 at 4:02 PM, Travelcat2 said:

'Z and TB,

For better or worse, we are flying home right after this cruise.  Since our flight is on the Monday after Thanksgiving, it is fortunate that we even got flights.  Unfortunately, we are stopping in Minneapolis which may or may not be snowed in.

I really tried to post a video of the Captain and CD when they were going through maps that showed why we are doing what we are doing.  I was not successful in posting a video but will keep trying.

Dennis and I truly love the Voyager but are over the top excited to be on Explorer in February for Dennis' very special birthday (with that you two were there).l  

Z, did you learn anything about Olga about still being on Regent?  It seems that she has been off the ships for longer than normal.

Jackie

I’m just catching up. Thanks for sharing your journey with us! 

We live just West of Minneapolis and while it’s pretty chilly, there’s no snow on the ground and outlook is no snow before you stop in our fine city (or at least the airport). 

Hope the seas have calmed and you enjoy smooth sailing the rest of your trip.

Jackie,

Thank you so much for posting Daily Onboard Activities on your crossing! I am impressed by the many available options especially during a sea day that can keep most people busy unless they simply want to relax.

Like many others following this blog, your postings allow us to share in at least some small way the crossing with you and Dennis!

From Judy and I here in the cold Midwest we wish you both Thanksgiving greetings and safe travels home.

Ken 

“And th winner was PRIMATERRA SPARKING ROSE EXTRA DRY ITALY.

That is sweet sparkling wine, right? “Extra Dry” means sweet on a sparkling wine label. If so, count me out. Headache in a glass....or flute....

10 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

What you are doing, pingpong, is covering up the fact that turkey is tasteless!!   I like all the things you list - stuffing, brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce (but not jelly) - but I hate, loathe and despise sweet potatoes!! (and peanut butter but that is another issue...)    To each his own.   Please eat all the turkeys you like!!

2 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

What you are doing, pingpong, is covering up the fact that turkey is tasteless!!   I like all the things you list - stuffing, brussels sprouts, cranberry sauce (but not jelly) - but I hate, loathe and despise sweet potatoes!! (and peanut butter but that is another issue...)    To each his own.   Please eat all the turkeys you like!!

So that is the real reason why the President pardons the turkey. :classic_biggrin:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you across The Pond.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jackie and Dennis, and to your fellow passengers. 

As someone who also does not eat turkey or anything with feathers (yuk!!!), The Boss is making a smoked ham for me and turkey for the rest of the clan. 

Hammie:  no peanut butter?  I’ve never heard that before. Any story behind that claim?

Have a great day, everyone and please remember those that can’t make it home. 

Z and TB

First, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone - such a great day to be thankful for everything good that we have in our lives.

Now, about turkey (Z - suggest you not read this since it is about a feathered bird and you may become frightened)🤣

Agree with Gerry that turkey (and chicken) have little flavor of their own.  But when you stuff the bird with veggies and other good things, perhaps put herbs and butter under the skin, etc. it can become quite tasty (especially with gravy on it).  What is important to us is to do the entire turkey vs. a turkey breast.  While we eat only breast meat, the fact that the juices of the whole turkey combine to make a juicy and flavorful turkey.  Note:  This is from someone who rarely cooks but can make quite a good Thanksgiving dinner.  

BBWC - what did you order in Prime 7?  Sometimes we love it there and other times - no so much.   

gjkov - thank you so very much for the weather forecast in Minneapolis.  Dennis has been worrying about flying home since before we left.  We booked our own return flight and typically fly the southern route home.  You have put his mind at ease.

gerry - if you take a "yam" (not sweet potato - yams are almost purple in color) and bake it like a potato, it can be quite delicious and is very good for you.  

JPR:  I retract my statement about the Sparkling Rose.  We were told that our taste buds are better in the morning so we did the tasting around 10:45 a.m.  At that time, the Sparkling Rose tasted delicious (and we only had a couple of tastes).  When we ordered it at dinner, it was a different experience.  I finished what was poured (hate to waste it) and then went back to my Cabernet.  

John182 - did you read about the pardoning of turkeys by the President?  I did not know that these turkeys are hand raised,  held frequently and are treated royally.  As you likely know, the turkeys this year were "Peas" and "Carrots" and the President pardoned "Peas".  However, both turkeys will live out their lives in the manner to which they have become accustomed (lifespan approx. 10 years).  That is our trivia for the day.

travelwell - I was not going to post photos from the fair but will do a couple (it takes place in a little over an hour).  Each department (Housekeeping, Restaurants, Spa, etc.) set up booths with games to play.  The Spa has you (or your partner) blindfolded and try to put make up on the other person.  Quite funny.  Usually there is a race with martini glasses filled with colored water to see who can fill up a container first.  There is even a horse race (wooden horses).  It is a goofy and very fun time.  You play for tickets and there is a drawing at the end.  You also vote for what you think is the best booth.  Anyone that thinks that Regent passengers can't have fun may rethink their view after attending the Country Fair.

We have very calm seas, great weather and everyone is in a great mood for the holiday as well as knowing that we will actually step foot on land tomorrow.  

More later.

Edited by Travelcat2

14 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Dennis and I try to eat fish, chicken, turkey, lamb and then beef (in that order).    

What about pork, the other white mean?  Pork chops, pork tenderloin, pork steaks, bacon, pork sausage, ribs?  The Pork Producers of America want to know.

I see that you are having a Tex-Mex buffet today. Although these have been disappointing in the past, we had the best one ever during our cruise on the Navigator a couple of weeks ago.  I strapped on that feedbag and ate like it was going out of style. 

I remember two years ago when the “Margarita and Bloody Mary Society” was established during our transatlantic onboard the Explorer. You set up a nice Thanksgiving dinner that we could not make because I was sick (we missed most ports due to illness). Instead, we had room service with me having pea soup and The Boss had a burger.    

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

4 minutes ago, HotRoot said:

What about pork, the other white mean?  Pork chops, pork tenderloin, pork steaks, bacon, pork sausage, ribs?  The Pork Producers of America want to know.

Hmmmm, pork.  I mentioned how much of an animal lover I am and pigs have the most human eyes that I have ever seen and they are so intelligent....... I do have spare ribs and pork sliders sometimes but Dennis pretty much gave up pork last year.  I feel the same way about lambs but, for some reason, when we replace ground beef with ground lamb in many dishes, it is easier to digest.  Not a great answer but a true one.

6 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I see that you are having a Tex-Mex buffet today. Although these have been disappointing in the past, we had the best one ever during our cruise on the Navigator a couple of weeks ago.  I strapped on that feedbag and ate like it was going out of style. 

I remember two years ago when the “Margarita and Bloody Mary Society” was established during our transatlantic onboard the Explorer. You set up a nice Thanksgiving dinner that we could not make because I was sick (we missed most ports due to illness). Instead, we had room service with me having pea soup and The Boss had a burger.    

Z and TB

How could I forgot that Thanksgiving dinner without you two?  At first I thought that you were afraid that a feather may get loose and land on you but then realized that you were really sick (as was Dennis earlier in the cruise).  We managed to get the Captain's Table (first come, first served) and it was lovely but there is no way you can talk to people at such a big table.  There will only be five of us for dinner tonight - really looking forward to it.

Agree about Regent's Tex-Mex buffet.  Wish I knew what you tried that was so good.  Being raised in Los Angeles, I keep looking for authentic Mexican food.  We do not have it at home or on the ship.  I was going to take some meat and beans and put it in a flour tortilla with guacamole and the fixings on the side.  Of course, a margarita made with Don Julio will be part of our lunch.

Country Fair in 10 minutes - enjoy your meal and being with your family.   Adios for now!