turn off "newest photos" feature?

Hi, is there a way to disable the newest photos feature that shows up on the right hand of my screen.  If I wanted to see trashy bikini photos I would google "trashy bikini photos"  lol.   But seriously, we need a way to choose whether or not to have this popping up on our screens.   Thanks in advance.  

Edited by cruise kitty
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Easiest work around is post your own pics or encourage others to so. 

Thank you. 

I do post photo reviews, which people can choose to view or not.   It would appear though, that when people post an album, we don't have a way to opt out of viewing it in the sidebar, unless we use an ad blocker, which I'd rather not do, as this site is paid for through ads.  

Edited by cruise kitty

Just now, babs84 said:

Another reason to dislike this new CC. I don’t want to see anyone’s photos unless in a forum I’m following. 

Hear, hear!

It's much like being forced to look at random strangers vacation pictures...., oh, wait, that's exactly what it is.

46 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Thank you. 

I do post photo reviews, which people can choose to view or not.   It would appear though, that when people post an album, we don't have a way to opt out of viewing it in the sidebar, unless we use an ad blocker, which I'd rather not do, as this site is paid for through ads.  

FWIW, I dont really notice them on the phone version since they are at the bottom. 

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, I dont really notice them on the phone version since they are at the bottom. 

I'm on a mac book, & all I can say is that if I wanted to see a chubby woman in a bikini standing under a water fall, well, I'd go stand under a waterfall & have someone take my picture lol ;(

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Thank you. 

AdBlock plus doesn't block the CC photo album. Just popup adds. 

48 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You can block the photos using AdBlock Plus.  I did it.

Here's how:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2599244-the-only-thing-worse-than-not-turning-off-avatars-is-having-to-view-newest-photos/?tab=comments#comment-56145467

Edited by Shmoo here

5 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Thanks, but I just ignore the photos. Except the one John posted of Port Canaveral. I was interested in that one. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

I'm on a mac book, & all I can say is that if I wanted to see a chubby woman in a bikini standing under a water fall, well, I'd go stand under a waterfall & have someone take my picture lol ;(

I got rid of the bikini. 😉👙

1 minute ago, Globaliser said:

Good work! I hope you have plenty more photos on standby for the next time a bikini (um) pops up.

I'm really not qualified to judge.  🐶🐾🐾

Others need to step up.  In my opinion, photos need to rotate out after a few hours

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I'm really not qualified to judge.  🐶🐾🐾

Others need to step up.  In my opinion, photos need to rotate out after a few hours

Thanks for the new photo!  Honestly, it wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't always the same photos over & over again.  Or if the algorithm would just choose photos without people (scenery, monuments, etc.)  that would be fine.  

1 minute ago, cruise kitty said:

Thanks for the new photo!  Honestly, it wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't always the same photos over & over again.  Or if the algorithm would just choose photos without people (scenery, monuments, etc.)  that would be fine.  

Until people embrace the galleries, pictures arent going to rotate out much.

From what I can tell, on the directories we see the last 4 pictures posted to any album.  In the threads we see one picture from the 4 latest albums.  Not sure how it picks the one.  You have the ability to move the most popular photos to the front of an album, I believe

On 11/11/2018 at 2:36 PM, davekathy said:

Yes, it does. But you have to use "Block Elements" because the pictures aren't third-party ads. You can also use it to block individual avatars; you can't block them globally and you have to be careful not to block the text, just the image.

I have successfully blocked the pictures but not the captions. Here, you have to be careful not to block the whole sidebar because it also includes important (and not so important) global announcements from the Management.

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Until people embrace the galleries, pictures arent going to rotate out much.

Sorry, I just don't understand why people would want to post pictures here in the first place since in doing so, you are granting CC a perpetual license to use them any way they want.

From the CC guidelines:

Use of Content

By submitting content to our site (www.cruisecritic.com & boards.cruisecritic.com), you hereby grant Cruise Critic the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any message posted in Cruise Critic's message boards or in our published member or port reviews (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed. For additional information, please see Cruise Critic's Terms of Use

On 11/11/2018 at 8:23 PM, davekathy said:

Thanks, but I just ignore the photos. Except the one John posted of Port Canaveral. I was interested in that one. 

The problem with the photos is not just that some people have no sense of what not to share but also that those photos eat up a lot of data for those of us who don't have unlimited data on our mobile devices.

On 11/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, Shmoo here said:

yeah thanks for that tip

I do not mind the text but the photos are gone .they were annoying

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sorry, I just don't understand why people would want to post pictures here in the first place since in doing so, you are granting CC a perpetual license to use them any way they want.

From the CC guidelines:

Use of Content

By submitting content to our site (www.cruisecritic.com & boards.cruisecritic.com), you hereby grant Cruise Critic the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any message posted in Cruise Critic's message boards or in our published member or port reviews (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed. For additional information, please see Cruise Critic's Terms of Use

But the same applies to all the photos that appear in the threads.  🤔

This place would be boring with no pictures.

14 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Yes, it does. But you have to use "Block Elements" because the pictures aren't third-party ads. You can also use it to block individual avatars; you can't block them globally and you have to be careful not to block the text, just the image.

I have successfully blocked the pictures but not the captions. Here, you have to be careful not to block the whole sidebar because it also includes important (and not so important) global announcements from the Management.

That's correct if you elect to use the block elements function. I didn't even know there was that option. I won't enable it.  If you don't enable it than AdBlock Plus doesn't block photos which sounds like a few of us posters haven't. .

Edited by davekathy