Hawaii-Japan early April

cruising cockroach

Not a usual cruise route by the looks of it but what kind of seas can one expect?  I know the jet stream ~30-40,000' above can be wickedly strong (1,100-1,200 km/h ground speed flying Narita to Honolulu).  We're not prone to sea sickness but the little tub we'll be crossing on is much smaller (~11,000 GRT) than anything we've done a trans-oceanic on (Prinsendam ~38,000 GRT Lisbon-Florida, , CMA-CGM Libra ~ 131,000 GRT Taiwan-Long Beach and Celebrity Millennium ~ 91,000 GRT Sitka-Japan).

Thanks.  More concerned about it being uncomfortable than being sick.  Was in a ship where roll was more than 15 degrees which made sleep a little bit difficult.  Even some of the crew (everyone was located relatively high up) had to switch from bed to sofa (each crew cabin had one, bolted down perpendicular to the bed) to sleep.

We're on a slightly-lower deck for the TPAC portion (OV cabin is slightly bigger (~33 s.f.) due to no space used for balcony).

No one can accurately predict what the seas will be like and experience means nothing.

My advice is to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Try booking a room as mid ship as you can and also bring items with you to help prevent sea sickness.

The other thing is what doesn't bother one person might bother someone else.

Keith

Lots of variables and the Pacific is almost as unpredictable as the Atlantic. Have completed this trip a few times, as from Panama, I used to Great Circle to Hawaii and then Great Circle to Japan. Kept us from going too far North.

One trip we experienced a brutal storm a couple of days after Hawaii where we hove too for a couple of days. Believe that trip was sometime between March & May. Don't have any memories from the others, so they must have been OK.

Looks like a big YMMV on this one.   I thought the ship will to go around the southern end of Honshu as we get off on the Sea of Japan side via the Inland Sea.  However, playing with google earth tells me the route is actually ~400 nm shorter if going through between Honshu and Hokkaido.