26 days on the Oosterdam-Venice to Fort Lauderdale-Report

Sonora5

Thanks for a good and detailed review. Statue in Olympia with the baby is Hermes (Roman Mercury), holding the baby Dionysus (Roman Bacchus, the god of wine). The other hand is supposed to hold a bunch of grapes. Probably frowning because baby Di has overflowed with wine.

--Your trivia partner Ev

Edited by cactuslady
more info

We arrived in Toulon early on Oct 25th. The view from the ship was somewhat industrial, but we were looking forward to getting out into France. My first time in France! We had booked a private tour with Provence Connection Tours for 8. Unfortunately Mr S was still not feeling well, so he stayed behind.

Our guide, Paul, met us promptly and the van was parked very close to the ship. We first drove to Aix en Provence. Paul had some very interesting things to relate as we drove. In Aix, we parked in a parking garage and came up just a few feet from a bustling market. I bought honey, several flavors. We browsed the market, then headed for some historical places. The place where Cezanne went to law school was a highlight, as well as an old cathedral that was built over layer over ancient layer.

Another market, then off to Cassis for lunch. Cassis is a lovely harbor with many cafes and small shops. It is crowded, and we take out time picking out a good place. Fortunately Diane speaks French! We had a very nice meal, then caught back uo with Paul.

Back in the van, and he drives us to a stunning overlook. It is a beautiful day, and we get that lovely effect when sky and ocean mirror each other, deepening the gorgeous blue. I am a little afraid to get close to the edge, as the cliff seems quite high.

The name of this overlook is Cap de Canailles, although I am not sure of my spelling.

Back to the ship where we met friends for dinner at the Canaletto. I know some people like to poor mouth the Canaletto, but we quite enjoyed it. I introduced myself to a Rossini or three. The ravioli were really good, as was the soup and the shrimp. Service was attentive but not overly cloying. I am not sure how to work out their sharing philosophy really, but it all worked out.

Next: Two (almost) days in Barcelona!