Not the cruise line you want to cruise with

Sdockendorf

6 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

I just want to put it out there to all of the posts saying that in order to run a business you have to act like heartless, add the noun. NCL could have, should have allowed us credit for at least part of the cost. They offered nothing after repeated attempts. I will bet that our room is booked on that cruise. Anyone want to take me up on it? There is enough Cruise Critic people to let us all know whether this is the case.  For those of you saying we should have bought the insurance, I say Delta, full refund, Barcelo Hotels full refund, Marriott Hotels full refund and Royal Caribbean we had pay like $200 and that cruise was a week later than NCL. Maybe NCL should join the rest of the hospitality industry and do away with their archaic customer service. It's everyones choice who to do business with and I know where my loyalties will lie in the future.

So tell me how many days out for each of your cruises did you cancel?  What type of ticket did you book with Delta? Refundable or Nonrefundable?  What were the cancellation policies for your hotel bookings?  I’m willing to bet that each company followed their policies in dealing with your cancellations and that you came in before final payment for Royal which was 90 days and after for NCL which was 120 days.    I would bet you would have had the same answer from Royal as you got from NCL if you had tried canceling 30 days later.  When you book with these companies you are agreeing to abide by their policies.

You were not dealing with poor customer service with NCL.  You were dealing with a company that offers you travel insurance to cover instances like this.  You declined this coverage and failed to get outside insurance.  This puts the risk on you once you are inside that companies final payment per the contract you agreed to.  This is called taking personal responsibility for your financial decisions.  It is not poor customer service to uphold company policy.  You are not entitled to receive something for free that rest of us pay for.  Your loyalties may lie elsewhere now, but I highly doubt that affect NCL in the least.   I hope for health and healing for your wife and hope you learned the importance of getting insurance for your future travels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matt151617 said:

I used to deal with this a lot working in retail- it doesn't matter if the customer is wrong. If you deny them certain things, they will never shop there again, and they will try to tell their friends and family never to shop there again. Over their lifetime, that is going to be a significant amount in comparison to the small amount sacrificed to give them their way. 

In the OP's situation, they will never take another NCL cruise again. How many thousands of dollars will that cost NCL instead of a refund? AND NCL may be able to resell the cabin to someone else.

OP, take to social media. Hit them at Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc; try to get your story viral. Companies to not like negative social media attention and may listen more. 

Our motto was “ the customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer”. Businesses don’t survive without customers.

I used to deal with this a lot working in retail- it doesn't matter if the customer is wrong. If you deny them certain things, they will never shop there again, and they will try to tell their friends and family never to shop there again. Over their lifetime, that is going to be a significant amount in comparison to the small amount sacrificed to give them their way. 

In the OP's situation, they will never take another NCL cruise again. How many thousands of dollars will that cost NCL instead of a refund? AND NCL may be able to resell the cabin to someone else.

OP, take to social media. Hit them at Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc; try to get your story viral. Companies to not like negative social media attention and may listen more. 

So tell me...were your dealings in retail with irate customers returning some small consumer goods worth a couple hundred dollars or less where no insurance was necessary for unexpected events?  Cruises are not the same type of commodity.  To be quite honest, as most posts on this thread reflect, most of us frequent travelers know the risks of traveling.  Some of us do not want to take the financial risk so we purchase travel insurance.  Others prefer to take the risk and self insure.  There  are only a few like OP who feel they can take the risk and then feel entitled to have others cover there loss when things go wrong.   Most of us,  while having empathy for the OP,  we do not feel he deserves recompense for his losses and we are not afraid to say so on social media.

Edited by Warm Breezes
  • Like 2

I swear I see these same posts every few weeks.  Someone that wants special exceptions for something they could have insured.  With 3 posts.  Then being coached to take it to social media from someone with 4 posts.  The fact that Norwegian sticks to their policies makes me want to cruise with them more.  I know that everyone will be treated equally in accordance with their policies.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Our motto was “ the customer is not always right, but the customer is always the customer”. Businesses don’t survive without customers.

Businesses don't survive with giving away their products or services for free.

10 hours ago, Sdockendorf said:

I just want to put it out there to all of the posts saying that in order to run a business you have to act like heartless, add the noun. NCL could have, should have allowed us credit for at least part of the cost. They offered nothing after repeated attempts. I will bet that our room is booked on that cruise. Anyone want to take me up on it? There is enough Cruise Critic people to let us all know whether this is the case.  For those of you saying we should have bought the insurance, I say Delta, full refund, Barcelo Hotels full refund, Marriott Hotels full refund and Royal Caribbean we had pay like $200 and that cruise was a week later than NCL. Maybe NCL should join the rest of the hospitality industry and do away with their archaic customer service. It's everyones choice who to do business with and I know where my loyalties will lie in the future.

I'm guessing you're lashing out out of concern for your wife and nobody can blame you for that. I don't find NCL to be in the wrong. Whatever line you switch to, be sure to purchase insurance. Very best of luck to you and your wife. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Newleno said:

ah the olde ncl at it again, they have no shame

why do you say this? Why does anyone think NCL should make exceptions and why bother with insurance if all you have to do is make a phone call and get your money or a credit back? of course it is sad and scary to be told one has a disease the could be life threatening but that is what insurance is for: Most of us know the reason for being prepared. The only exception as far as I am concerned might be death. I was faced with the situation of needing to cancel a cruise on the Dawn about 4 years ago I had no problem getting my deposit back as it was prior to the final payment date. Obviously, in OPs case this is not the situation or as mentioned something is just not fitting together with OPs story. My guess is: OP knew he was past cancellation date so that is why; he asked for a future credit and not a refund. 

Some people will never learn. Insurance that is the answer. plain and simple. I would never travel without it, things come up and you can't know what is going to happen. It's a small investment. I paid 550.00 for a 12,000.00 cruise....Well worth it to me. Also I got the Nationwide Luxury plan and wouldn't you know it, they changed the itinerary. Now there are 6 of us on the plan, so after I prove we were on the cruise and send all the proof for the change I will get 6 checks for 1250.00/each :). So in my case insurance really paid off, and I haven't even left port yet 🙂 🙂 . I know not all states are eligible for that plan, but I live in CT, so I am. Here's to Nationwide insurance 🍷

• Like 3

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

why do you say this? Why does anyone think NCL should make exceptions and why bother with insurance if all you have to do is make a phone call and get your money or a credit back? 

Exceptions can be problematic for companies. They have to make sure the exception won't be considered a "secret warranty" or that the recipients of the exceptions don't reveal a hidden bias (i.e., only white people get the exception). They do have wide latitude but it is something they have to be careful about. 

The answer is to automatically add the insurance coverage and force you to specifically remove it, checking off a box that you understand you are removing the insurance. This is a tactic that DCL uses now (Disney travel agents do it even for trips to Disney parks in the US). 

We live in the UK and have an annual travel insurance policy. When it's time to renew we look at price comparisons but have stayed with our Insurance company. We always renew and are never without insurance cover.

We booked three European holidays this year and each company asked for details of our insurance including policy numbers. Our NCL cruise later this month was booked through a TA who didn't enquire if we had insurance - so probably it is up to the individual to have insurance without prompting from the travel/cruise company.

13 hours ago, NurseJEB said:

Thuggery and strong arming a company to get something that you do not deserve.  Yeah that's the way of the generation of "All about me", "screw personal responsibility", "someone else needs to make my poor choices go away".  I hope you are not raising any kids that way.

No, it's not.  The guy's wife has cancer!  That is hardly the same as a "poor choice" or someone who decided to change their plans for no reason.  How much would it hurt NCL's millions in profits to refund a few grand? Or at least switch his cruise?

Edited by matt151617

12 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

I've found that people who use "the customer's always right" mantra are the customers the business doesn't want.

In addition (from personal experience) the "friends and family" who hear the "woe is me story" take it with a grain of salt.

14 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

Does anyone actually believe that they wouldn’t resell that cabin (probably for more money). NCL is not giving away a thing.

Of course they'll resell it.  But they have rules and if they bend for one, they have to bend for all, because the other 99,999 people who have heart conditions, broken legs, the flu, other kinds of cancers (and I have breast cancer too), mother died, friend died...and didn't buy insurance....will get angry and boycott NCL...if they don't get restitution.

So, what's better, to have one angry customer or a shipload of them?

I am all for NCL having a rule (that was in the contract) and sticking to that rule.

Edited by April42749
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, matt151617 said:

No, it's not.  The guy's wife has cancer!  That is hardly the same as a "poor choice" or someone who decided to change their plans for no reason.  How much would it hurt NCL's millions in profits to refund a few grand? Or at least switch his cruise?

So you are saying NCL should refund or switch cruises for everyone who gets sick?  If not, what illnesses are okay and which ones aren't?

Edited by NLH Arizona

40 minutes ago, matt151617 said:

OK, she has cancer.  But, there are all "levels" and we don't know what her situation is.  I said in an earlier post, I was diagnosed with breast cancer in Oct 2015 and I thought my world was coming to an end.  I went on a cruise that December.  I worked it in between "things" and my oncologist told me to never let it rule my life.

In any event, according to the rules he probably only lost 25% of the cost, so depending on what he booked, that loss might have been even less than the cost of insurance.

Edited by April42749

3 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

So you are saying NCL should refund or switch cruises for everyone who gets sick?  If not, what illnesses are okay and which ones aren't?

33 minutes ago, matt151617 said:

Yes, it is sad that his wife has cancer. My 27 year old daughter, who is pregnant, was just diagnosed with breast cancer. That is not the point. The point is there are a lot of really sad stories out there. There are many people who have to cancel their cruise on short notice because of sad stories, but what is the cruise line supposed to do? How do they pick and chose who to refund to and who not to? Isn't this the reason why people buy travel insurance, in case something like this happens. I paid 550.00 for my travel insurance, in case my daughter's illness makes it so we can't go on our cruise. I know that should something bad happen, we will be covered, because I got the insurance. Why should anyone, who did not purchase the insurance, get a refund. Would that be fair to me, or all the others who shelled out extra money for the insurance. NCL, or any other cruise line should not refund them their money. They would not be able to stay in business if they gave every one with a sad story back their money. In the end it is a business. If people want to chance it and not purchase the insurance that is up to them. But, they take a chance on losing their money. They had the choice, just like I did. I pray for his wife, but I am sure he learned a hard lesson.....buy the insurance

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

Does anyone actually believe that they wouldn’t resell that cabin (probably for more money). NCL is not giving away a thing.

I believe NCL will try to resell that cabin. They might not be able to with 2 months left. They might have to also heavily discount that cabin in order to sell it.

On 11/11/2018 at 10:38 AM, Robb said:

We missed a cruise 16 years ago because I had to have open heart surgery........we lost all the costs except the port charges, over $5000.  Now, 65 cruises later we would never consider traveling without full insurance coverage.  I hope your spouse has a speedy and full recovery.  Read those contracts in the future.

It is a hard way to learn the importance of having travel insurance, but facts are facts.  

I have a different perspective . We "self insure" as in gamble that we won't have to cancel a trip. Might this come back to bite us ? Perhaps but so far we are over a trip ahead by not buying travel insurance . (In truth DW has limited cancellation insurance through her employer) Plus we always have the option to piss and moan on various social sites to get our money back .😏

Robb have you had to cancel many of these 65 cruises ? What do you think your plus/minus is ?  

18 minutes ago, adam_s_allen said:

I believe NCL will try to resell that cabin. They might not be able to with 2 months left. They might have to also heavily discount that cabin in order to sell it.

i'm believe that cabin will be occupied

Edited by Newleno

Do you have any idea how many cruisers have things like serious illnesses and deaths happen to them within the final payment of their cruise?  I have cruised 18 times.  I didn't start purchasing insurance until my 4th cruise.  3 months after cruise #2 DH's father died.  He was ill, but stable when we cruised and we were torn whether to go or not.  3 days after cruise #3 my father died.  He was in the hospital when we left but was improving and would be going home in the next day or 2 so we decided to go.  He got an infection while we were on our short 5 day cruise that killed him upon our return.  Those experiences, along with an emergency landing on our way to cruise #2 (in June on a direct flight) and a smashed windshield on the way to cruise #3, convinced us to start getting travel insurance which we ended up using on our 7th planned cruise.  My Grandmother passed away the day before we were to sail.  We cancelled with our insurance and drove home to grieve.  OP learned a hard lesson.  One that I barely avoided twice before I caught on.  But it was his lesson to learn not NCL.  I've know at least 2 other people personally that have had to cancel cruises for illnesses or death. 

There are many, many more...this is just my experience.  Are you saying the cruise lines should reimburse all of them?  Who should qualify?  That few grand multiplied by how many?  Insurance Revenues lost because....well why should we purchase insurance if they will refund us anyway?  Not following their set policies would be an extremely poor business decision on the part of NCL.  There is a place for empathy and there is a place for personal responsibility.  The cruise line can have empathy but responsibility lies with the buyer.

ETA:  We have cancelled 1 cruise out of 19 booked.  Our travel insurance runs on average around 5% of our cruise.  This means we need to cancel approx 1 out of 20 cruises to break even with purchasing travel insurance.  Right now we are slightly ahead since we purchased insurance for 16 out of 19 cruises booked and used it to reimburse a cruise once.  Due to my close calls and hits I am willing to take those odds and purchase the insurance.

Edited by Warm Breezes
  • Like 2