Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
cruiseguy1016

Inheriting C&A status

Recommended Posts

My son will be taking his SO on a cruise next March. He is a C&A Diamond member. She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status at this time. They live together. They are a couple but they are not married. Will she inherit his C&A status after the cruise? Does the "inheritance" apply only to family members living in the same household or does it also apply to a Significant Other/ Life Partner living in the same household?

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It applies to significant other/partner as long as they are at the same address. She can inherit his status for that first cruise. Have your son call C&A to get her a number and to link her account with his since they live at the same address. She will be Diamond for that first cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your son just needs to call. My son did it last year for his girlfriend.  She was diamond before she even boarded the ship for the first time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Will the person's C&A status changes if the couple no longer shares the same address?

 

That is the famous $64,000 question.  Supposedly, if the system catches the "unlinking", the status of the unlinked former SO or spouse will decline, but you know what we say about the RC IT system.  😮 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blackshirt said:

It applies to significant other/partner as long as they are at the same address. She can inherit his status for that first cruise. Have your son call C&A to get her a number and to link her account with his since they live at the same address. She will be Diamond for that first cruise.

 

2 hours ago, ownedbypets said:

Your son just needs to call. My son did it last year for his girlfriend.  She was diamond before she even boarded the ship for the first time.

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

 

10 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

 

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

 

That's what I thought too but when my son called they gave her diamond status.  Her first boarding pass and card said diamond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

If she weren’t inheriting any status, that would be true. You don’t reach gold status until you have cruised. However, since she will be inheriting your son’s status, yes she will be Diamond on that first cruise. Your son just needs to call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

Daughter and new husband took honeymoon cruise on Freedom.  She's diamond (thanks to dw & I) while he had never cruised.  He obtained C&A number in advance and given diamond status on that first sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

If she weren’t inheriting any status, that would be true. You don’t reach gold status until you have cruised. However, since she will be inheriting your son’s status, yes she will be Diamond on that first cruise. Your son just needs to call.

 

This is great news. He and she are going to be very excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

My 14 year old diamond daughter made sure that no "SO" in the future will "drag" her down.  She wants to be pinnacle as soon as possible.

She won't ever be "dragged down"...unless RCI changes something.

I would assume it will be several years until she has a "SO" to be concerned about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

Will the person's C&A status changes if the couple no longer shares the same address?

RCI doesn't really keep track of the address or make C&A decisions on that. They know the old couple is no longer linked when the higher C&A member declares another person their SO. In most/all? reported cases on CC, the unlinked person does not lose their status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

RCI doesn't really keep track of the address or make C&A decisions on that. They know the old couple is no longer linked when the higher C&A member declares another person their SO. In most/all? reported cases on CC, the unlinked person does not lose their status.

If the unlinked person has a new SO and they book a cruise together, will the new SO got the same C&A status as the unlinked person?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

If the unlinked person has a new SO and they book a cruise together, will the new SO got the same C&A status as the unlinked person?

Yes. And this is where the system is flawed.

A and B are both diamond

A and B divorce

A moves in with C and C becomes diamond

B moves in with D and D becomes diamond

A and C split up.

A moves in with E and E becomes diamond

C moves in with F and F becomes diamond......

 

No wonder the lounge is overcrowded! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

 

 

She has never cruised before so she has no C&A status. My understanding is that you must complete a cruise before becoming a C&A member. If he calls before the cruise, she will become a diamond without having ever cruised?

 

 

yup.   a while back Royal implemented a change where you could get a C&A number prior to your first cruise.   it just has to be done by calling directly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 11:45 PM, little britain said:

Yes. And this is where the system is flawed.

A and B are both diamond

A and B divorce

A moves in with C and C becomes diamond

B moves in with D and D becomes diamond

A and C split up.

A moves in with E and E becomes diamond

C moves in with F and F becomes diamond......

 

No wonder the lounge is overcrowded! 

I don't think so.  I bet once B calls to get D the Diamond status, the agent would realize, "Wait B, you've only taken cruise!"  I have heard of people getting "demoted" in C&A Status - not in this scenario, but when a child inherits their parents cruises that they took before they were ever born, then the child turns 18 and loses those previous cruises (the ones they didn't take), going down in status.  At least that's how it was happening a few years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2018 at 2:45 AM, little britain said:

Yes. And this is where the system is flawed.

A and B are both diamond

A and B divorce

A moves in with C and C becomes diamond

B moves in with D and D becomes diamond

A and C split up.

A moves in with E and E becomes diamond

C moves in with F and F becomes diamond......

 

No wonder the lounge is overcrowded! 

 

There is one flaw in this.  When A and C split up and A contacts RC about their separation, then C reverts back to their actual status.

 

There have been a few jilted A's that have called RC to report separations.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

There is one flaw in this.  When A and C split up and A contacts RC about their separation, then C reverts back to their actual status.

 

There have been a few jilted A's that have called RC to report separations.  

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

 

However once you have cruised at a status, and C has cruised as a Diamond, that status is never revoked in my understanding. Therefore C is a Diamond with 7 points in his own right.  There are two fields - the points you actually have and the points you have inherited via your 'relationship' - and it is this second field that governs your status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, little britain said:

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned!

 

However once you have cruised at a status, and C has cruised as a Diamond, that status is never revoked in my understanding. Therefore C is a Diamond with 7 points in his own right.  There are two fields - the points you actually have and the points you have inherited via your 'relationship' - and it is this second field that governs your status.

 

I have read where the scorned have notified RC about a separation and had their ex's status reverted.  If they are not married or at the same address, I have read it reverts.  That is, if RC is made aware of it.

 

Like you said, "hell hath no fury".  Then again on what I have read, not everything on the internet is true. Who wants to get divorced to share the real outcome with us?:classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I have read where the scorned have notified RC about a separation and had their ex's status reverted.  If they are not married or at the same address, I have read it reverts.  That is, if RC is made aware of it.

I'm sure there are examples some of demotion, but I know first hand, that even after being made aware of the separation, the ex has sailed a couple of times at the inherited status.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, LittleMissMagic said:

 but when a child inherits their parents cruises that they took before they were ever born, then the child turns 18 and loses those previous cruises (the ones they didn't take), going down in status.  At least that's how it was happening a few years ago.

We have plenty of recent reported examples, including my own DD, for whom this is not true. RC might demote an ex (still very unlikely), but not kids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 10:34 AM, ownedbypets said:

Your son just needs to call. My son did it last year for his girlfriend.  She was diamond before she even boarded the ship for the first time.

 

This surprises me.  My daughter is D+ and has been living with her fiance for 2 years (both names on the lease).  We tried twice to get him D+ status on cruises we took together.  Both times we were told by C&A that living together doesn't work, they have to be married for him to inherit her status.  He now feels like a "serf" but he does have that dowry coming next year when they get married.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CRUISINGCPA said:

This surprises me.  My daughter is D+ and has been living with her fiance for 2 years (both names on the lease).  We tried twice to get him D+ status on cruises we took together.  Both times we were told by C&A that living together doesn't work, they have to be married for him to inherit her status.  He now feels like a "serf" but he does have that dowry coming next year when they get married.

 

My son definitely isn't married!  When he told me that he was going to call and ask I told him not to get his hopes up.  RC told him as long as they shared the same address she could inherit his status.  I don't know if it makes a difference but he is D, not D+.

Edited by ownedbypets
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...