Is Uber XL ok to use?

Sitting here debating whether we should pre-book our transfer from our overnight hotel in Miami to Fort Lauderdale with one of the local limo companies or to just wing it with the likes of Uber XL.

Seriously looking opinions here guys and gals.

Just use Uber of Lyft. It will be a lot cheaper than booking a limo/bus company to take you. We took FLL to South Beach last year and it was about $45 in a regular uber.

You probably don't need an XL if it's just 2 people. I also prefer Lyft to Uber, but that is totally up to you.

• Like 1

Just got back from south Florida and used Uber from FLL to MIA and then return.

Waited 5 minutes max for our Uber to show up. The other poster who said it was $45 was using a regular Uber.

The XL service will be about $72 before tip. Not much cheaper than a formal "limo" service.

For XL, 1 of the vehicles was a Nissan Explorer, and the next was a Suburban.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Not exactly sure which terminal in Port Everglades Royal Caribbean use so had to just pick one when using the Uber app but based on the price I got from it (which I assume is accurate) compared to the price I’ve already got from one of the local limo companies I’m estimating a saving of approximately $70 on the two trips there and back using Uber XL.

The reason I reckon I need Uber XL is though there’s only three in our party one is in a wheelchair so that’s 3 full sized cases and a collapsible chair. Might be a push in a normal car, even an American one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Luminated67 said:

Thanks guys. Not exactly sure which terminal in Port Everglades Royal Caribbean use so had to just pick one when using the Uber app but based on the price I got from it (which I assume is accurate) compared to the price I’ve already got from one of the local limo companies I’m estimating a saving of approximately $70 on the two trips there and back using Uber XL.

The reason I reckon I need Uber XL is though there’s only three in our party one is in a wheelchair so that’s 3 full sized cases and a collapsible chair. Might be a push in a normal car, even an American one.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely do an XL then. That way you know for sure that will fit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Luminated67 said:

Sitting here debating whether we should pre-book our transfer from our overnight hotel in Miami to Fort Lauderdale with one of the local limo companies or to just wing it with the likes of Uber XL.

Seriously looking opinions here guys and gals.

I would strongly recommend SAS Transportation.  Very reasonable. 

24 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

Not sure SAS will pick up at a Miami hotel and transport to Port Everglades - their focus is mostly FLL and nearby hotels to Port of Miami

I’ve never heard of them but after looking their website I think you are right, it doesn’t appear that they service Miami Airport or the hotels around it.

The only limo service that has came back to me with a quote was Larryslimos, I have heard good things about them on here so will still consider them because of this despite the price difference.

Not exactly what you were asking but wanted to throw this out there since we got burned... Many of the ride share type services are allowed to drop off at the cruise port, however they are not allowed to pick up, or at least not without the pickup being prearranged via their app.

Just be sure if you are planning on getting Uber or one of those after your cruise, that they provide pickup service at the port.

1.  I've used Larry's Limos in the past and highly recommend them; they are often suggested on the FLA departures board.

2. Uber and Lyft have no problems operating at POM, PE, FLL and MIA  The restrictions that used to be in place (i.e. job protection for poorly run taxis) are long gone.

Have a great cruise! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, poncho1973 said:

Uber XL or Lyft XL will be great.  Use them all the time and have done an ALMOST similar trip to this, but in reverse and it was great.

Would it be rude to ask what you paid or if this can't be done on the forum page could you PM me.

23 minutes ago, Luminated67 said:

Here's a question for you all, it appears to be cheaper to request 2 standard cars to collect us 3 than to go in the one XL. :classic_wacko:

The wife and son could go in one with the wheelchair and single case whilst I take the other with the 2 cases.

Yes that should work, but you'll need to do two separate requests, and I'm not sure you can do that on one app...so you would likely need to have two people each making a request.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

Yes that should work, but you'll need to do two separate requests, and I'm not sure you can do that on one app...so you would likely need to have two people each making a request.

That is how I understand it.  When cruising with a larger group I request on car and my wife also requests a vehicle.

On 11/13/2018 at 12:00 PM, JohninDC said:

Not sure SAS will pick up at a Miami hotel and transport to Port Everglades - their focus is mostly FLL and nearby hotels to Port of Miami

We are using SAS to go from a FLL hotel to POM, and then from POM to FLL after the cruise in January next year:

This is confirmation for transportation from the La Quinta Inn Hollywood hotel to the Port of Miami on 1-27 and from the Port of Miami to the FLL Airport on 2-03.

I will have a van at your hotel at 9:30 AM for your pick up on 1-27.

Driver will call you as he is on his way to your hotel.

On, your return from your cruise, please call the number listed below just before you go into the customs building so that I know you are beginning your debarkation form your ship.

I will then let you know where to meet the van once you do come out of the customs building.

The cost for this is $15 per person each way that is paid to the driver at each drop off.

You may pay with cash, Visa, or MasterCard.

Credit card payments have a $25 minimum and a $3 processing fee is be added per transaction.

Thank you,

Steven Sadowsky
SAS Transportation
1-954-600-0240
www.ridesas.com

22 minutes ago, pcur said:

We are using SAS to go from a FLL hotel to POM, and then from POM to FLL after the cruise in January next year:

This is confirmation for transportation from the La Quinta Inn Hollywood hotel to the Port of Miami on 1-27 and from the Port of Miami to the FLL Airport on 2-03.

I will have a van at your hotel at 9:30 AM for your pick up on 1-27.

Driver will call you as he is on his way to your hotel.

On, your return from your cruise, please call the number listed below just before you go into the customs building so that I know you are beginning your debarkation form your ship.

I will then let you know where to meet the van once you do come out of the customs building.

The cost for this is $15 per person each way that is paid to the driver at each drop off.

You may pay with cash, Visa, or MasterCard.

Credit card payments have a $25 minimum and a $3 processing fee is be added per transaction.

Thank you,

Steven Sadowsky
SAS Transportation
www.ridesas.com

According to their website they DON’T cover Miami Airport or the hotels around it so they are a no-go for us on this occasion.

On 11/13/2018 at 12:52 PM, JohninDC said:

1.  I've used Larry's Limos in the past and highly recommend them; they are often suggested on the FLA departures board.

2. Uber and Lyft have no problems operating at POM, PE, FLL and MIA  The restrictions that used to be in place (i.e. job protection for poorly run taxis) are long gone.

Have a great cruise! :classic_biggrin:

I second Larry’s Limo Service.  They are excellent and reasonably priced.  We use them when traveling from FLL to Miami hotel for pre-cruise stays.  

Edited by Wrh2016
  • Like 1