classic 'bait and switch'

1980dory

I have received repeated emails regarding Norwegian Cruise Line's  special for a 7 day cruise from New Orleans for $299.  When I click on the ad, I'm taken to Norwegian's site offering numerous cruises and specials.  But lo and behold, NO $299 specials!

So I called Norwegian to ask when the cruise sails and how to book it.  The rep told me repeatedly that he could not find a cruise at that price.   And I replied that neither could I find it but  that I would like to book it at the advertised price.  The rep finally said that it was probably a "marketing error".   There is no doubt that it was an error but more comonly defined as bait and switch which is actually illegal.

Let's see how long it takes to correct their error or offer me the cruise at the advertised $299.

I think I know about these email promos.  The promo advertises several things at one time.  The $299 special is "cruises starting as low as $299".  This can be any cruise including only a 4 night cruise. The New Orleans cruise is also being advertised.  I figured out this trick long ago.  Its a little misleading but completely honest and not illegal.  You definitely can get NCL cruises as low as $299.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

I have received repeated emails regarding Norwegian Cruise Line's  special for a 7 day cruise from New Orleans for $299.  When I click on the ad, I'm taken to Norwegian's site offering numerous cruises and specials.  But lo and behold, NO $299 specials!

So I called Norwegian to ask when the cruise sails and how to book it.  The rep told me repeatedly that he could not find a cruise at that price.   And I replied that neither could I find it but  that I would like to book it at the advertised price.  The rep finally said that it was probably a "marketing error".   There is no doubt that it was an error but more comonly defined as bait and switch which is actually illegal.

Let's see how long it takes to correct their error or offer me the cruise at the advertised $299.

Right or wrong most industries use this ploy. Car dealers are the best at it.... It is dishonest to a point, but not illegal

2 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

There is a 10-day for $399 out of NOLA.  Blow the dust off your wallet and go. 

Sorry. I try to avoid people and companies who lie to me.  If I can't trust them here, then how can I trust them elsewhere with anything they say?

Why don't you sign up for their $299 Special?

Lol 23 years ago, we honeymooned at Sandals, I remember the “up to 65% off” special. That special has been advertised every day since. Whenever I see specials like low rates, I know that there may be one single option, like one cabin for a particular sailing on one ship for one date. I never actually expect to pay the “as low as” rate.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1980dory said:

Or maybe it was an error by the reader in understanding the offer.  Maybe not, but until you post the exact content of the email we will never know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

ah the olde ncl at it again, when will it end

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Sorry. I try to avoid people and companies who lie to me.  If I can't trust them here, then how can I trust them elsewhere with anything they say?

Why don't you sign up for their $299 Special?

Thank you for the heads-up..I calling NCL right now to cancel my 4 upcoming cruises. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Read the offer very carefully. I am sure of two things the offer has been run through NCL's legal department, and it is not bait and switch.

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

I think I know about these email promos.  The promo advertises several things at one time.  The $299 special is "cruises starting as low as $299".  This can be any cruise including only a 4 night cruise. The New Orleans cruise is also being advertised.  I figured out this trick long ago.  Its a little misleading but completely honest and not illegal.  You definitely can get NCL cruises as low as $299.

David,

You're speculating as to what the ad said and your speculation is NOT what I said.

Your statement,  "Its a little... but completely honest and not illegal" is incorrect.   May I suggest you look at Consumer Reports regarding illegality, etc. and cease speculating about what was said.

Your comments only serve to confuse and inflame the posted subject.

My very first sentence stated clearly what the email stated.  Please reread it.

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

David,

You're speculating as to what the ad said and your speculation is NOT what I said.

Your statement,  "Its a little... but completely honest and not illegal" is incorrect.   May I suggest you look at Consumer Reports regarding illegality, etc. and cease speculating about what was said.

Why don't you post an image/screenshot of the email so we all know what it actually said?

• Thanks 1

Without seeing the email we have no idea if it is being described accurately. I also get marketing emails from NCL daily, and haven't seen this particular one, or any ad that isn't legal. 

You have a right to choose which companies you like for any reason whatsoever. You cannot lie about them and harm their reputation, so you have to be careful. Any claim you make has to be clearly identified as your opinion OR a provable legal claim (truth is a defense against slander in the US). 

So let's see the email.  

3 hours ago, zqvol said:

Read the offer very carefully. I am sure of two things the offer has been run through NCL's legal department, and it is not bait and switch.

While that may be true in this particular case,  it's horribly flawed logic and really annoys me (ok, the 2nd part is my issue).  

If people had that mindset than literally a company can never be wrong.   They have lawyers vet things.   The thousands of cases every year citizens win against corporations differs with your theory.   A lawyer isn't always right, people and companies don't always do the right thing or interpret the law correctly. 

That doesn't mean they're always wrong either.  It's not black and white.  When they're wrong, they should be called out on it and not just "well, it must be ok, I'm sure their lawyers look at it)

10 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Good. This should settle your distain towards NCL once and for all. Bye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, 1980dory said:

David,

Post the promo then.  I receive these all the time too.  I get sail some new ship from Miami 7 nights from $299.  When I click on the ad, there are no $299 deals.  When the ad says "Cruises from $299, it means cruises as a whole.  This is nothing new and you are acting like you were secretly targeted.  This is not breaking news in any sort of way.  Just because you got one and cant figure it out is not worth a thread of 60 posts.  Airlines do the exact same sort of promos.  Car dealerships do the same sort of promos.  Its not illegal but if you believe that it is, then hire a lawyer and sue NCL.  The case will be thrown out immediately but you can keep us posted on your progress.   Here is another newsflash.  The NCL "free" promos are not free.  You pay service charges plus many times the cruise fare is raised the amount of the promo.  Its called marketing 101.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1