Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MaiTaiMary

Drink Package on RCCL

Recommended Posts

Foe those who have sailed on other cruise lines, how does the drink package on RCCL compare? Meaning, on Carnival, they are extremely strict. You can’t order two at a time..have to wait 5 minutes between drinks. Etc.  We recently sailed NCL for the first time and it was a very different experience. They were super laid back. We were able to get multiple drinks at one time and half the time they didn’t even check our card. I also liked how I didn’t have to sign for the drinks.

Just wondering how RCCL runs their program.

thanks. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Royal, there is no daily limit or minimum time period between drinks.  However, they do enforce one drink at a time.  Signing for drinks varies, sometimes you do and sometimes you don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That doesn’t make sense. If you can’t order two at a time, then there must be a time limit between ordering drinks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MaiTaiMary said:

That doesn’t make sense. If you can’t order two at a time, then there must be a time limit between ordering drinks. 

 

The only limit is how fast you can drink them.

 

the reason that you cannot get 2  at a time is then you could be sharing.  Ofypu sit at a bar and drink one you can get another right away.  No time limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't order more than one at a time on Royal. That's about the only limit. Otherwise the Royal package is much better than NCL.  On NCL, lots of liquors are not included. On Royal, virtually everything behind the bar is included, which includes many very premium brands.  

 

Even a basic premium like gentlemen jack isn't included on NCL.  You can have almost anything you want with Royal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the upper limit is either $12 or 13 depending on ship and any drink that costs  more than that you pay the difference.

 

one drink per sign and sail card at a time.  there are reports of some bartenders  letting you have a bottle of water at the same time you  get an alcoholic beverage.  things like a shot followed immediately by a beer or whatever will depend on the bartender as well.  but if you are roaming and not actually sitting at the bar, don't expect to get lucky.  

 

they do keep track of  how often you are getting drinks and if it looks like you are sharing, you will be cut off.   and of course you will be cut off if they determine you have had too much.  

 

intelligent drinkers pace themselves and alternate with water anyway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, MaiTaiMary said:

That doesn’t make sense. If you can’t order two at a time, then there must be a time limit between ordering drinks. 

It doesn’t appear that there is one...  I’ve gotten two almost right in a row at the pool bar- get one, put it at my chair, then got another for later right after... less than 5 minutes apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve never had a problem getting a bottle of water at the same time I get a drink...  I think it was on HOS, in the Schooner bar, where the bartender would ask if I wanted 2 waters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One drink at a time...PER CARD.     You can bring your card and someone else's and get two drinks.   I have to do this all the time since my wife makes me do all the drink runs.  :classic_biggrin:

 

As for water, you can always get two at a time if its not busy.   We stock up in our room so we can always have some bedside at night, available to take on excursions, etc.   Usually get one or two every time we pass a bar on the way back to our cabin.

 

 

Here's me getting 7 drinks at one time.   My groups traditional 1st Blue Slushy drink of the cruise.  So it can be done.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNBR said:

You can't order more than one at a time on Royal. That's about the only limit. Otherwise the Royal package is much better than NCL.  On NCL, lots of liquors are not included. On Royal, virtually everything behind the bar is included, which includes many very premium brands.  

 

Even a basic premium like gentlemen jack isn't included on NCL.  You can have almost anything you want with Royal. 

 

On NCL, you can order two at a time. Not sure what you mean by "lots" are not included.  We never had an issue with anything not being covered, and we only drink top shelf. 

Edited by CruisingSince1982

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

 

On NCL, you can order two at a time. Not sure what you mean by "lots" are not included.  We never had an issue with anything not being covered, and we only drink top shelf. 

 

NCL absolutely does not include top shelf in their package.  You can't even get Gentlemen Jack on the NCL package.  I tried to order a few different liquors that were behind the bar and every single time "No, not included" from multiple bars/bartenders.  Essentially everything behind the bar on Royal is included.

 

But that is the scam NCL runs, like many of the things they do.  Gentlemen Jack is $9.95 on Royal and easily covered by the $12 - $13 per drink limit.  NCL has a seemingly better $15 limit but then they'll charge $16.95 for liquors that should be half that price, just to exclude them from the package.

 

There is a ton of excluded items on the NCL package that are covered on Royals.  Want a list?

Edited by BNBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BNBR said:

You can't order more than one at a time on Royal. That's about the only limit. Otherwise the Royal package is much better than NCL.  On NCL, lots of liquors are not included. On Royal, virtually everything behind the bar is included, which includes many very premium brands.  

 

Even a basic premium like gentlemen jack isn't included on NCL.  You can have almost anything you want with Royal. 

 

Surprising on the whiskey. For vodka the choice are the same on each for premium brands (belveder, grey goose, and titos). I believe the rum and tequila options are the same too, but I drink those way less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

 

Surprising on the whiskey. For vodka the choice are the same on each for premium brands (belveder, grey goose, and titos). I believe the rum and tequila options are the same too, but I drink those way less. 

 

There is a LOT of stuff NCL doesn't include that Royal does.  Some of the basic vodkas are included on NCL.  Royal does have Stoli Elit which I don't believe NCL even offers, and most likely wouldn't offer on their package.

 

Rum and Tequila are not the same. NCL doesn't include any Patron, for example... super popular stuff, not included.  Royal not only offers Patron, you can get Patron Reposado and Anejo included on the package, too!  It's that big of a difference.  For Rum, what comes to mind is Zacapa 23 which Royal, of course, includes!  NCL, nope.  And that is a really good rum.

 

It goes on and on.  And more than anything, I like being able to order anything I see behind the bar.  On NCL, it's a total guessing game and anything that's not a standard brand stuff, you pretty much know won't be included so you give up on asking pretty quick.

Edited by BNBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from Freedom of the Seas.    Don Julio 1942 Tequila was found at Boleros!  $14 per drink (or $2 upcharge on package). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BNBR said:

 

There is a LOT of stuff NCL doesn't include that Royal does.  Some of the basic vodkas are included on NCL.  Royal does have Stoli Elit which I don't believe NCL even offers, and most likely wouldn't offer on their package.

 

Rum and Tequila are not the same. NCL doesn't include any Patron, for example... super popular stuff, not included.  Royal not only offers Patron, you can get Patron Reposado and Anejo included on the package, too!  It's that big of a difference.  For Rum, what comes to mind is Zacapa 23 which Royal, of course, includes!  NCL, nope.  And that is a really good rum.

 

It goes on and on.  And more than anything, I like being able to order anything I see behind the bar.  On NCL, it's a total guessing game and anything that's not a standard brand stuff, you pretty much know won't be included so you give up on asking pretty quick.

 

Maybe they just don't like you? I've gotten basic Patron on NCL included with the package. Not sure about Stoli because I don't like that brand. I order virtually the same on both cruiselines and have never had to pay for extra (except the tax NCL charges while still at POM). I never had a problem, but I looked at the list they have at the first bar and pick from the first 3 levels included in the package. If anything I was a bit miffed that I could order all the mixed cocktails NCL lists, but there's several on Royal that go above the limit on the package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

 

Maybe they just don't like you? I've gotten basic Patron on NCL included with the package. Not sure about Stoli because I don't like that brand. I order virtually the same on both cruiselines and have never had to pay for extra (except the tax NCL charges while still at POM). I never had a problem, but I looked at the list they have at the first bar and pick from the first 3 levels included in the package. If anything I was a bit miffed that I could order all the mixed cocktails NCL lists, but there's several on Royal that go above the limit on the package. 

 

I'm not saying it doesn't exist... but can you find me an NCL menu that has Patron on it without upcharge?   (update:  Nevermind, I found it.  Seems they just recently added Patron silver to UBP, but still do not include Reposado or Anejo).  Anyways, it's just a simple fact that Royal includes a lot more on the package than NCL.  It's not a divisive topic - it's math.

 

There are VERY few mixed cocktails on Royal that go over the limit.  In fact, on their drink menus (at least on Oasis class), I don't believe they show a single one anymore.  Zero.  I was looking last month, couldn't find one.  The only time they seem to go over is with a souvenir cup nowadays.

Edited by BNBR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BNBR said:

 

I'm not saying it doesn't exist... but can you find me an NCL menu that has Patron on it without upcharge?  Anyways, it's just a simple fact that Royal includes a lot more on the package than NCL.  It's not a divisive topic - it's math.

 

There are VERY few mixed cocktails on Royal that go over the limit.  In fact, on their drink menus (at least on Oasis class), I don't believe they show a single one anymore.  Zero.  I was looking last month, couldn't find one.  The only time they seem to go over is with a souvenir cup nowadays.

 

No, I don't take photos of the drinks menu. And sure, it's math. Whatever.

 

Glad to hear about Oasis. I'm going on her again, and last year there were a lot of their mixed cocktails coming in at $14. It'll be nice if they're included in the package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can not order two drinks at a time but can order a double, package includes all 12 year old scotch and even 18 year old chevis regal. We do go over limit on some wine by the glass , so if limit is 12 and we order a 15 dollar glass of wine we pay the extra 3 and tip on the three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the package include drinks at the specialty restaurants(I know not Starbucks), Sabor bar, and Vintages, etc - we are on the Oasis?  So basically all alcohol on board within the drink price limit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, George C said:

You can not order two drinks at a time but can order a double, package includes all 12 year old scotch and even 18 year old chevis regal. We do go over limit on some wine by the glass , so if limit is 12 and we order a 15 dollar glass of wine we pay the extra 3 and tip on the three.

 

They are not supposed to pour doubles. Some bartenders will, however. But not to be expected. There were only 2 wines by the glass that had an upcharge on Allure last month.  Although maybe more at vintages, I'm not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DVC4US said:

Does the package include drinks at the specialty restaurants(I know not Starbucks), Sabor bar, and Vintages, etc - we are on the Oasis?  So basically all alcohol on board within the drink price limit?

 

Included all over.  In fact, even milkshakes at Johnny Rockets are included on the package.  Virtually all drinks all over the ship are included. It's a great package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

Included all over.  In fact, even milkshakes at Johnny Rockets are included on the package.  Virtually all drinks all over the ship are included. It's a great package. 

Awesome!  Thanks!  First time on RCCL and we are excited about the drink package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

Included all over.  In fact, even milkshakes at Johnny Rockets are included on the package.  Virtually all drinks all over the ship are included. It's a great package. 

 

Have you been able to do the milkshakes at JR on Oasis?? I saw people on Allure say it was no problem, but saw an Oasis review a while back that said they could only get the included milkshakes if they ate at JR too. Really hoping I can pop in for just a milkshake when I want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

They are not supposed to pour doubles. Some bartenders will, however. But not to be expected. There were only 2 wines by the glass that had an upcharge on Allure last month.  Although maybe more at vintages, I'm not sure. 

When we did navigator exactly a year ago , every bartender poured doubles at least the six or so we visited on a regular basis, I did not even ask them , I told them I wanted two drinks and put them in same glass and gave him two cards, he told me you do not need two cards for double. Vintage has many over limit and most specialty also do, we rarely eat in mdr.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...