DushiDushi

Serious incident on Royal

Last night something serious happened on Royal Princess. At 4:30 am there was a ship wide security announcement broadcast directly into the cabins. Security personnel was told to gather on deck 7. Another announcement was made shortly after that only broadcast in the halls and common areas. 

This morning as we docked in Aruba the captain came on the announcement channel and said that there was a serious incident and no one could leave as local authorities were coming onboard. 

6 or 7 local police officers arrived but they were wearing all black with police on their backs. They got on the ship around 8:15 AM

Around 8:45 two forensics vans showed up and two technicians went aboard. 

All morning they have been frantically paging people from lido deck and have security set up outside the hallway to the forward lido rooms

They also have the promenade deck port side roped off with caution tape. 

All the police are now in the symphony dining room on deck 5. 

Does anyone else have any information what happened?

Yes, it sounds serious.  Likely a death of a suspicious nature if forensics and police are involved.  Nobody here will have better information than someone on the ship.  An announcement or formal statement by Princess will be days away.  Thank you for posting; and welcome to the community.

There has been a very active Roll Call for this cruise with a few posts made since sailing.  I would think when there is something to report that the Roll Call members will do so.

Edited by cherylandtk

I agree, people on the ship are more likely to get info than us regular Joe's at home

Dush Dushi

Searched Google with "Royal Princess" and "Princess Cruise" Aruba.  During last 24 hours nothing atypical appears.

The second announcement made was to request medical personnel to attend to deck 7 near lifeboat 2. I forget the exact wording but they indicated immediately or similar.

From our balcony we could see the area roped off with yellow caution tape this morning but nothing in the middle of the night.

Just a bunch of rumours on ship thus far.

How horrifying!  I am so sorry for the passenger and her family, and for anyone on board who may have witnessed anything.  

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/11/articles/maritime-death/passenger-dies-fall-royal-princess/

Update: Diario.aw reports that a “muscular” man was struggling/fighting with the woman, and suddenly began choking her. After that, he reportedly pushed her over the railing. She fell on lifeboat #2, destroying the windows on the lifeboat as well. The authorities in Aruba will perform an autopsy, to determine whether the man killed her first (by choking her) or she died because of the fall.

Murder is murder whether by causing a fall or initial assault. Hope he's off the ship

Edited by Ombud

On this cruise and incident was right outside our balcony. I did not see it (slept through it) but will upload pic of taped off area and broken window on lifeboat 2. Crew is not telling us anything but taxi drivers and lots of people talking in the halls. Very sad.

5F89E5CF-E6F9-4802-B458-D60B0DD2A829.jpeg

B2590FA6-D8D9-4DE2-B234-600D5533AFA5.jpeg

I am on this cruise and an active member of the roll call. I just found out what happened on the way back to the ship for dinner. The locals know more than we did. And the staff have told us nothing. 

Captain made announcement just now. We are sailing on time. Local authorities have removed  the body.

How gross that someone actually posted a photo of the lifeboat. This is very sad situation.

I see nothing wrong with the picture. Only thing you can see is a broken window.

5 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I see nothing wrong with the picture. Only thing you can see is a broken window.

I agree.

18 minutes ago, Potstech said:

I agree. Could say the same about posting a picture of the Royal.  🙄

So sad. 

1 hour ago, san diego sue said:

Captain made announcement just now. We are sailing on time. Local authorities have removed  the body.

How gross that someone actually posted a photo of the lifeboat. This is very sad situation.

It would be gross if the lifeboat was covered with blood or had the body laying on it. Your idea of gross is rather.....gross.

Wow soooo sad. 

“Cruise Hive has now received an official update from the cruise line about the tragedy that occurred on Royal Princess. Princess cruises confirmed “that a 52-year-old American female guest passed away early this morning aboard Royal Princess as the ship was enroute to Aruba. It was reported to the local authorities who met and boarded the ship upon arrival.  The cause of death is not yet known at this time.”

“A women on royal princess princess cruise line was pushed or fell from the lido 15th or 16th deck onto the top of  life boat #2 at 4 am in the morning. She died instantly. Once the ship arrived into Aruba, authorities boarded the ship. Outcome of investigation is unknown. Passengers said the scene was gruesome.”

10 hours ago, CruiseNut24 said:

Here is what I found on line.  Appears women was pushed or fell from deck 15 or 16.

Copy and paste in your browser,  link did not seem to work

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2018/11/articles/maritime-death/passenger-dies-fall-royal-princess/

Thanks for passing on the news article.  What a terrible situation.

When we go on vacation, we expect that only happy events happen.  It is a extremely sad reminder that bad things happen even while we are on vacation.  RIP, thoughts and prayers to the family, the other passengers, and the crew.  Such a sad event. 

11 minutes ago, texascat said:

When we go on vacation, we expect that only happy events happen.  It is a extremely sad reminder that bad things happen even while we are on vacation.  RIP, thoughts and prayers to the family, the other passengers, and the crew.  Such a sad event. 

I think that’s true about happy events.  My 2 cents, is that we forget that there are 3,000 more or less people who come with their own “baggage”.  Some people also hope a vacation will fix things.  Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t.  My happy trip is I, I don’t have to cook or clean and around me is a small city of people with their various issues, values, morals etc.  Those  don’t change just because you vacation.  

While it is troubling and sad when stuff happens at what should be happy times, I’m not surprised.  Well with that said we are heading off for 20 days on the Crown.  Happy thanksgiving to all.

6 hours ago, mediator said:

My 2 cents, is that we forget that there are 3,000 more or less people who come with their own “baggage”.  Some people also hope a vacation will fix things.  Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t.  

Very true...  we forget that a cruise ship is nothing but a small city, and microcosm of the world around us.  There is love.... hate... happyness... sadness... life... and unfortunately, death.   We always go on a cruise with a positive and friendly attitude, and try our best to show love and appreciation for everyone... especially the crew.

What a stupid place to commit a murder.  There are cameras all over the ships.  Either he was a newbie and didn't realize this, was caught up in a moment of passion or just plain stupid.   I cannot imagine the grief the victim's loved ones are experiencing and am sorry for their loss.

5 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

What a stupid place to commit a murder.

As if there is a GOOD place to commit a murder!?

Oy veh!

53 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

There are cameras all over the ships. 

I would not be at all surprised that whatever happened was video recorded.

55 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

As if there is a GOOD place to commit a murder!?

Oy veh!

There are certainly more surreptitious places and ways to do dirty deeds than in the light of a recording camera.  :classic_biggrin:

As a good place to murder someone... it would be reasonable to assume maybe it was not planned, but happened during an argument, etc.  Just sayin it is possible.  After all, based on what we know, she could have also survived if she hit things differently.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I would not be at all surprised that whatever happened was video recorded.

from http://curacaochronicle.com/region/police-investigating-possible-murder-on-royal-princess/?fbclid=IwAR34ji8Qwn_3Ohpk-3rdb5xy6GyZHwLVTkxXOLzhmNCZSOJUNvB2Az4e-GE

Local Media in Aruba report that a “muscular” man was struggling with the woman and suddenly began choking her. After that, he reportedly pushed her over the railing. Ships Security provided the police with the video footage. There are indications that video cameras have captured the moment in which the man had pushed the woman over the railing. Aruba Police (Korps Politie Aruba) have confirmed the tragic event and will perform an autopsy, to determine the cause of death.