flight time too early??

C-breeze

My daughter made flight reservations for 9:25 a.m. and our ship docks at 7 a.m.  The price has gone up quite a lot in one day.  Will we have enough time to get to the airport for our flight from Miami to Orlando if we take our bags with us in the morning?  Azamara suggest a flight no earlier than 11 a.m.

I think that is tight and there is little or no wriggle room if you hit a snag.   

The main issue is that although you dock at 7am you likely wont get off anywhere near that time........ work to more like 8am.

The distance is only 20 minutes in a cab to the airport,  but you need to allow for traffic,  finding the right terminal, bag drop and then getting through Security and then getting to the gate.  Do-able,  but it's uncomfortably neat IMO.   David

I guess I wonder why if Azamara suggests after 11, you already made them for 925........I think that is way too tight and you will just be a bundle of worries, plus Miami airport is usually no walk in the park.....sorry for the answer you probably don't want.

I would be very reluctant to book a flight that was earlier than recommended by the cruise line.  Anything can happen.  In Southampton we booked a train to Heathrow.   I knew the timing was tight but figured we could make it.   Well, as it turned out there was a miscommunication between the ship and the people who were responsible for clearing the ship and we could not disembark until the ship was cleared.   We missed our train and were very worried about getting to Heathrow.   Fortunately Azamara stepped up to the plate and got us on to their bus to the airport (even though they had closed off reservations).   Just one more example of how Azamara takes care of their guests.

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

We booked an 11:15 am flight because we had no other option (Xmas weekend)  & I’m sweating that.  Planning to do self debarkation., have Uber ready to roll, global entry, mobile passport and TSA pre- check.

Fingers crossed you’ll be ok.  You are certainly prepared!  I would speak to Guest Relations at some point during the cruise.  They can’t do anything about ship docking time and immigration when you return, but will hopefully be able to give you the best chance of being off quickly.  I actually like self debarkation if luggage amounts are manageable.  Saves me packing necessaries the night before.

Phil

I really believe that is just too early.  We would never book a flight earlier than 11:00.  DO you have to check your luggage for the plane ride, or is it all carry on?  I think worrying about it the entire cruise will ruin your vacation.  If you can change it, please do.

Thanks all for your opinions.  We were able to change to a later flight,  Unfortunately we don't leave until 3:30 now, so we will have a lot of time on our hands.  I think its better than rushing and not making the fight though.

• Like 2

Glad to hear that you could change your flight.  Between the worry about making the flight and the rushing to get to the airport, you would have been more stressed than you need to be on a cruise.  Happy sailing.

A woman on Journey just YESTERDAY (November 20) had a 9 AM flight. We got off the ship -- early departure dealing with our own luggage -- promptly.  I'm fairly sure she got the to the airport on time - BUT security was a nightmare in the American terminal with the dogs out and huge lines.  

So - yes ... you MIGHT be able to get off the ship in a time manner (but there are no guarantees as to that since the ship must clear customs), but you can't count on MIA being a smooth transfer.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2018 at 6:18 PM, jelayne said:

We booked an 11:15 am flight because we had no other option (Xmas weekend)  & I’m sweating that.  Planning to do self debarkation., have Uber ready to roll, global entry, mobile passport and TSA pre- check.

Thought I would update.  We walked off the ship at 7:05, no line at customs.  Out of the terminal  by 7:15 but had difficulty with Uber app.  Found a spot where I could get a good signal & Uber arrived in about 5 minutes.  We arrived at MIA at 8:05 Dropped luggage, through TSA  (we had TSA pre-check)  and were at the gate by 8:20.  Then had 2. 1/2 hours to wait to board🙄.  

So it can be done but everything must align perfectly. No delay clearing the ship, no line at customs, Uber or a taxi  available,  light traffic and no accidents.  No line at baggage check or TSA. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Thought I would update.  We walked off the ship at 7:05, no line at customs.  Out of the terminal  by 7:15 but had difficulty with Uber app.  Found a spot where I could get a good signal & Uber arrived in about 5 minutes.  We arrived at MIA at 8:05 Dropped luggage, through TSA  (we had TSA pre-check)  and were at the gate by 8:20.  Then had 2. 1/2 hours to wait to board🙄.  

So it can be done but everything must align perfectly. No delay clearing the ship, no line at customs, Uber or a taxi  available,  light traffic and no accidents.  No line at baggage check or TSA. 

I’m happy to hear everything aligned perfect for you!