Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Soman

Star replacing Grand out of SF

Recommended Posts

Just checked the Princess website and it looks like the Star will be picking up the Summer of 2020 Alaska routes out of San Francisco.  Have never been on the Star so not sure if this is good, bad or no change.  They list the dates but no prices as of yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Soman said:

Just checked the Princess website and it looks like the Star will be picking up the Summer of 2020 Alaska routes out of San Francisco.  Have never been on the Star so not sure if this is good, bad or no change.  They list the dates but no prices as of yet.

 

I sailed on Star Princess a few years back when they were doing an 11-day Alaska itinerary from San Francisco. Had a great time. The absolute upside is that Star is a few years younger than Grand and still retains Skywalkers for great scenic viewing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, need2cruisesoon said:

The upside for me is Southwest flys cheap from (Oakland) to either Long Beach and Seattle.

Still scratching my head ?????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the ships that show sailing Alaska in Summer 2020.

 

  • Seattle roundtrip (7 day):  Emerald & Ruby
  • Vancouver/Whittler (7 day):  Royal, Grand, Coral, Pacific 
  • Vancouver roundtrip (10 day):  Golden
  • SF roundtrip (10 day):  Star
  • LA roundtrip (14 day):  Golden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did that cruise on the Star back in May 2014 and enjoyed it very much.  We'd previously sailed on the Star in 2006 for a western Caribbean cruise and in 2010 on an eastbound TA--a total of 36 days on her.  The sailaway from SF was spectacular (that was one of the reasons we picked this cruise); pax can access a small deck below the bridge for sailaway and that's where I was (gets pretty windy).  First time sailing under the GG Bridge (have crossed it multiple times by car and walked halfway across near sunset) so I've done it every which way. 😉 

 

The Star cruise was the longest one we've taken to Alaska, but well worth it.  Previously, we'd sailed out of Vancouver and Seward on several 7-day cruises.

 

Have a wonderful cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did the Star in 2014 out of SF.  I don't mind the change.  I just love the crew of the Grand though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our most recent Star cruise was in early 2017 & we prefer it to the Golden.  We also sailed 30 days from Sydney to LA & had a great cruise.  For me the Star will be an upgrade for SF cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

These are the ships that show sailing Alaska in Summer 2020.

 

  • Seattle roundtrip (7 day):  Emerald & Ruby
  • Vancouver/Whittler (7 day):  Royal, Grand, Coral, Pacific 
  • Vancouver roundtrip (10 day):  Golden
  • SF roundtrip (10 day):  Star
  • LA roundtrip (14 day):  Golden

None of these  cruises are posted on  cruise  TA web sites as yet . Please when are they going to be posted ? If they post for the Cyber sale  Nov 20th ,that would be great 

We  need to check out the one from LA & the one from SF :classic_ohmy:

Edited by mcrcruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

None of these  cruises are posted on  cruise  TA web sites as yet . Please when are they going to be posted ? If they post for the Cyber sale  Nov 20th ,that would be great 

We  need to check out the one from LA & the one from SF :classic_ohmy:

For a recent one day booking for elite level Captain’s Circle passengers the cruises were available to the general public two days later which would be on Thursday 11/15.

 

I don’t know if the summer 2020 cruises are part of any sale.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

None of these  cruises are posted on  cruise  TA web sites as yet . Please when are they going to be posted ? If they post for the Cyber sale  Nov 20th ,that would be great 

We  need to check out the one from LA & the one from SF :classic_ohmy:

 We called Princess & now we found the 14 night LA to LA Alaska cruise on Princess web site .As of Nov 13 ,2018 prices are not shown ;however ,lady at Princess says that pricing should be out any day now :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

 We called Princess & now we found the 14 night LA to LA Alaska cruise on Princess web site .As of Nov 13 ,2018 prices are not shown ;however ,lady at Princess says that pricing should be out any day now :classic_biggrin:

Last I checked about an hour ago prices were displayed for Summer 2020 in Alaska so it appears to be more misinformation from a Princess call center rep.

 

My experiences have been that Princess is rarely fully prepared for the elite booking benefit.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...