Cruise Critic Community
Cycles upside

Constellation vs Millennium

A few years ago we did the Asian cruise on the Millennium.  Food was horrible. I noticed the Constellation will be taking it’s place.  Do you think the food will be better or is it just that that’s the food available to the ships?  

To me, food varies ship to ship, and even cruise by cruise.  Remember staff changes regularly.  Some Captains are better than others, same for Food and Beverage Managers, and Executive Chefs.

Two years ago really has no baring on current cruises.  You would do better to look at current reviews, keeping in mind that food is subjective in reviews.

A complete toss up, subjective question. Did the S.E. Asia cruise on the Millennium (round trip Singapore to Singapore) and the food was great. The food had to be at least fairly good because the person I traveled with was a picky eater but noted he liked the food onboard!

We have cruised once on Millennium (Japan and China in 2015) and Constellation twice (2012 and 2014).  We found very little difference in the two ships in terms of dining quality, service and the ship's layout.

We have done 10 cruises on Celebrity and never had a bad dining cruise.  Once or twice I have sent back an order, because it just didn't measure up to my expectations, but that is for 10 cruises.

IMHO.  Since the menus are the same fleet wide the difference lies in the preparation.  There are some Chefs who consistently over salt everything, others use minimal spices.  The taste of the same dish can vary from dining venue to dining venue, same food different Chefs. 

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

IMHO.  Since the menus are the same fleet wide the difference lies in the preparation.  There are some Chefs who consistently over salt everything, others use minimal spices.  The taste of the same dish can vary from dining venue to dining venue, same food different Chefs. 

We were on a Transatlantic cruise in September and followed by a  on a 9 night New England Canada cruise.  The menus were very similar if not the same, but the food on the 9 Night cruise was much better.  I'm convinced it's the Chef.

Additionally, from cruise to cruise, the pastry chef makes a big difference from blueberry muffins that are large and plump to ones that are small and dry.

Food is very subjective.  We have been on over 40 Celebrity cruises and we can honestly say we have enjoyed all of the meals.  We have been in Luminae for quite a few of the last cruises, but on several occasions have ordered the dinners off the main menu and have-not been disappointed.  I would not judge what you will be served by what you experienced several years ago.  Menus and chefs have changed.

1 hour ago, Wine-O said:

We were on a Transatlantic cruise in September and followed by a  on a 9 night New England Canada cruise.  The menus were very similar if not the same, but the food on the 9 Night cruise was much better.  I'm convinced it's the Chef.

Additionally, from cruise to cruise, the pastry chef makes a big difference from blueberry muffins that are large and plump to ones that are small and dry.

I agree.  We sailed on Coral Princess twice within a few months, and the food was quite different.  We checked: the Executive Chef changed between our two cruises.

Have sailed both in the past year.  We didn't notice any difference between the two  in food or condition of ship.  We enjoyed both ships.  BTW, Connie and Millennium both do SE Asia cruises.  Connie does the Med via the Suez in the summer and Millennium does Alaska.  Looks like an "S" class ship is starting the routes in 2020.

Edited by BSinPNS

16 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

Looks like an "S" class ship is starting the routes in 2020.

The Eclipse is doing one Asian itinerary only that I can see on it's way to Australian waters for the Australian summer.  It will be based in Melbourne making 2 X-ships for the 2020-21 season in Australia.

Yes, Asian cruises in particular get worse food.

Our group discussed this with the Exec chef during a galley tour on Millennium there, and he said that food costs were the highest in Asia from all around the world (presumably as 'Western" food is not the norm, so at a premium), and they evidently economise.