Flight with overnight layover and luggage question

S&S Cruisers 1983

I would check with the airline to be sure. If it is booked as one ticket usually they would even between different airlines as long as it is code share, but if it is an international flight some countries like America you have to collect and re check in the luggage regardless of airline agreements. 

It completely depends on the airline, the airport, the fare rules of the ticket and more.

The answer above is from an Australian perspective - both Bangkok and Singapore airports allow for the airline to keep your bag overnight, so that may be what they are familiar with.  And even then, it is airline dependent as well.

Since you provide no details or specifics, the only real answer can come from the airline itself - anything else is just speculation.

Edited by FlyerTalker

If your luggage is checked through to your final destination you would not get your bags until then, your final destination.

I would make sure my bags were not checked through to the final destination if I was going to be spending a night somewhere in between.

Be sure to clarify this question with your airline. It will depend on how the flight was ticketed.

3 hours ago, Steve and Sharon said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question but if you have an overnight layover, does the airline keep your luggage for the next leg of the flight or do you get your luggage and check it again the next day? Thanks!

If you are on a single ticket your bags will be checked to your final destination, you will not gt them during your layover. If you are on two tickets, you will claim your bags at then end of the first leg, and then have to recheck them the next morning. In all likelihood, you are on a single ticket, so take what you need in your carry on.

Much depends how many hours there are between flights. I know some airlines will not keep your luggage if it is over 12 hours. So call your airline and check.

Even on the same airline, it can depend and where you are coming from and where you are going.

South African requires that you get your luggage when you fly US to Jo'burg, overnight, then fly them somewhere else.  But African departure to Jo'burg, overnight, to another African destination, you have a choice to get your luggage or have them keep it.

So bottom line it, ASK THE AIRLINE.

9 hours ago, zqvol said:

If you are on a single ticket your bags will be checked to your final destination, you will not gt them during your layover. If you are on two tickets, you will claim your bags at then end of the first leg, and then have to recheck them the next morning. In all likelihood, you are on a single ticket, so take what you need in your carry on.

Not necessarily

And even if they will check them through, you can ask to have them only checked to your first stop.  I have done that MANY times.  A lot of my international trips have an overnight rest stop built in.  So I can check bags through or get them, I just tell them when I check in.

I've had both occur - on the same itinerary, no less.

Aeroplan award ticket home from Europe. ZRH-IST (overnight by choice)-YYZ (overnight due to lack of availability)-YQB. First 2 flights on Turkish Airlines, with the last flight on Air Canada. In IST, luggage stayed at airport. In YYZ, told we needed to claim bags and bring them back to check them for our onward flight to YQB in the morning. So it really depends on your specific flights and connecting airport.

13 hours ago, Twickenham said:

I've had both occur - on the same itinerary, no less.

Aeroplan award ticket home from Europe. ZRH-IST (overnight by choice)-YYZ (overnight due to lack of availability)-YQB. First 2 flights on Turkish Airlines, with the last flight on Air Canada. In IST, luggage stayed at airport. In YYZ, told we needed to claim bags and bring them back to check them for our onward flight to YQB in the morning. So it really depends on your specific flights and connecting airport.

Both those airlines are in the same alliance, so it works.

In IST, you could leave your bags as the two flights (in and out) were the same alliance.

In Toronto, you had to claim you bags to clear Canadian customs.  That is your first point of entry into Canada.

I have had everything occur, including them just asking me "do you want your luggage in (London, Hong Kong, wherever) tonight or do you want it checked through?". In my experience, even with all of the flying I do, I never know what's going to happen when I walk up to that counter with an overnight connection.

11 hours ago, SRF said:

In Toronto, you had to claim you bags to clear Canadian customs.  That is your first point of entry into Canada.

This has happened to us in several places, where we had to collect our luggage, go through Immigration and Customs, and then recheck it.

7 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I have had everything occur, including them just asking me "do you want your luggage in (London, Hong Kong, wherever) tonight or do you want it checked through?". In my experience, even with all of the flying I do, I never know what's going to happen when I walk up to that counter with an overnight connection.

^^ this - exactly.  We've had it held in Amsterdam, not held in Seattle.  I'd be prepared to not see it with an adequately packed carry on

15 hours ago, SRF said:

Both those airlines are in the same alliance, so it works.

In IST, you could leave your bags as the two flights (in and out) were the same alliance.

Yeah, except we cleared customs in IST as well. Spent the evening exploring Istanbul. Had to get the visa and everything.

I think it more has to do with how Canada (and the US, for that matter) handles customs and connections, as well as the facilities at YYZ. For a same-day connection you just put your bag(s) on the connecting baggage conveyor belt, but YYZ doesn't have the facilities to keep bags overnight, so you need to keep them with you for a next-day connection.

On 11/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, Zach1213 said:

This ^^^^^^^^^^

On 11/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, Twickenham said:

Yeah, except we cleared customs in IST as well. Spent the evening exploring Istanbul. Had to get the visa and everything.

I think it more has to do with how Canada (and the US, for that matter) handles customs and connections, as well as the facilities at YYZ. For a same-day connection you just put your bag(s) on the connecting baggage conveyor belt, but YYZ doesn't have the facilities to keep bags overnight, so you need to keep them with you for a next-day connection.

The point is, even though YOU went through immigration and customs, your bags did not need to do so.  If you were transferring to a domestic Turkish flight, you would have had to collect your bags and clear them through customs.

The US does NOT allow you to do this.  If you are flying into the US on an international flight and immediately departing on another international flight, you still need to claim your bags and recheck them.

If arriving in YYZ, similar thing.  If you were going on to another flight in Canada, you would clear customs as your first port of entry.  If you were flying to a US destination, you would need to collect your bags as you clear US immigration and customs in Canada.

Apples and oranges.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:07 AM, Zach1213 said:

This. 

It's easier for me if they can just keep the luggage while I find a hotel. (Even though I pack a small bag, I check it most of the time.)  I have a change of clothes and the necessary toiletries in the small bag that fits under the seat.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:43 AM, SRF said:

The US does NOT allow you to do this.  If you are flying into the US on an international flight and immediately departing on another international flight, you still need to claim your bags and recheck them.

If arriving in YYZ, similar thing.  If you were going on to another flight in Canada, you would clear customs as your first port of entry.  If you were flying to a US destination, you would need to collect your bags as you clear US immigration and customs in Canada.

In both cases above, what you stated used to be true for the most part but not any longer.

Depending on the airline and airport you're transiting through the U.S., int'l=>int'l connections do not require checked baggage claim /clearance and recheck.  I believe flying through ATL on DL is one example.

If transiting international to domestic in Canada, that's also not required depending on country of incoming flight/flight origin and airline, at least at YYZ.

Step 4 - Pick up your baggage

Follow the "Baggage Claim" signs and pick up your baggage. You will need to take it with you to recheck it. Under some circumstances, arriving passengers are not required to claim and recheck their baggage and can proceed to step 6; please refer to signage in the customs area or contact your airline for more details.

Please note: If your flight is eligible, you will be instructed to take a bus directly to the Domestic departure gates. You will not be required to pick up your baggage or be re-screened through security screening. Please follow the direction of airport staff to determine if your flight is eligible.

https://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx#

Cool.

Good to see that things are changing a bit.

But since there is really no longer a customs check after you pick up your bags, it doesn't make sense for you to pick them up.  Especially international to international.

15 hours ago, SRF said:

Cool.

Good to see that things are changing a bit.

But since there is really no longer a customs check after you pick up your bags, it doesn't make sense for you to pick them up.  Especially international to international.

I won't go into it but it was used by US INS & Customs Service as a "fishing expedition", even prior to Sept 2001.