Do you think it's neccessary to get a drink package of any sort on the Allure?

Steven7777

Hi there, my wife and I are cruising on the Allure Feb 10th, can't wait!

Were debating not purchasing any sort of drink package at all. Is this something people often do? Will the standard things suffice?

Is the only place to get a drink without any package in the buffet?

Without a package, when doing a fine dining, what drinks will they bring you?

thanks

8 minutes ago, Steven7777 said:

Hi there, my wife and I are cruising on the Allure Feb 10th, can't wait!

Were debating not purchasing any sort of drink package at all. Is this something people often do? Will the standard things suffice?

Is the only place to get a drink without any package in the buffet?

Without a package, when doing a fine dining, what drinks will they bring you?

thanks

It all depends on if you like to drink and how often. You can get basic water and some canned juice I think free. Everything else is for a fee either a la carte or through a package. 

So so if you want soda, cocktails, premium coffee, wine, etc they all have a cost for them. The deluxe package covers them all. So it all depends on if water and basic coffee for free and paying for everything else by the price per each one works for you. How much do you drink ? How long is your cruise and how many port days do you have? It all depends on your personal preferences. I have done cruises in the past without a package and paid a la carte and my upcoming cruise I am doing the deluxe package and I think we will save money based upon our habits. 

For the dinners, they will fill a water glass for you but that is all that is included. Anything else must be at a fee or through a pre bought package. 

I have found that some type of drink package is in order if you plan on drinking anything outside of meal time. The soda package doesn't work for me since I don't drink soda anymore. I drink coffee, water, and juice. These things add up so for me the refreshment package is a must at the very least but I will purchase the deluxe drink package because I do drink wine and cocktails as well. The other issue is that the ships on all cruise lines are just getting too big to be walking to the limited areas where the included beverages can be found. I suppose you can ask for a glass of water at any bar but the juice and coffee are usually in the buffet area only.

Edited by Iamcruzin

There is plenty to drink besides water for free.  They have iced tea or lemonade in all dining rooms as well as flavored water in various places such as park cafe, solarium, and the buffet just to name a few.

If you like specialty coffees and mixed drinks then sure maybe the package is worth it but consider how much you think you will drink and the costs for you to buy packages for both of you.

If you are only concerned about not having anything to drink without buying a package that’s just not true.  There has always been plenty of free beverages on every ship esp the larger ones such as Allure.

I generally cruise without a drink package.  That's easier since I am Diamond Plus and therefore eligible for the Diamond Happy Hour each night.

You can cruise without a drink package depending on your need and expectations.  Do you mostly drink water?  Are you okay with the free coffee offered?  Or do you prefer special coffees?  Are you a soda/pop drinker?  Do you plan to drink many alcoholic drinks?  

Drink packages are designed for those that tend to consume more soda/coffee/alcohol.  If you just drink water, the ship's water is always fine by me and I'm okay with the free coffee so I exist just fine without a package.

7 minutes ago, tiger13 said:

There is plenty to drink besides water for free.  They have iced tea or lemonade in all dining rooms as well as flavored water in various places such as park cafe, solarium, and the buffet just to name a few.

If you like specialty coffees and mixed drinks then sure maybe the package is worth it but consider how much you think you will drink and the costs for you to buy packages for both of you.

If you are only concerned about not having anything to drink without buying a package that’s just not true.  There has always been plenty of free beverages on every ship esp the larger ones such as Allure.

Good to know, thanks for the post.

If I don't have a package, and I go up to one of the bars, is my only option water? 

Can I fill up a thermos and fill it up with ice tea, etc, at the buffet, then walk around the ship with it, or would that be frowned upon?

thanks

7 minutes ago, Steven7777 said:

Good to know, thanks for the post.

If I don't have a package, and I go up to one of the bars, is my only option water? 

Can I fill up a thermos and fill it up with ice tea, etc, at the buffet, then walk around the ship with it, or would that be frowned upon?

thanks

A beverage package is NEVER "necessary".

Any bar will sell you a drink.  There are many many many bars on board.  You simply pay as you go.

If you would like to fill your own bottle with a beverage from the Windjammer buffet, you must fill it from a glass, NOT directly into your own bottle.  (that would not be sanitary; there are signs on the dispensers)

I will comment on the refreshment package since that what I had

I had it twice different ships and I wont buy it again, for us we felt that we have to over drink to just make even, there are so many opportunities  to get alcohols and non drinks  for free during the cruise that  package is not worth it at all. Once you reach diamond we no longer talk about drinking  package but again that s just my opinion. Also I feel like a waste of time at the bars when I want a drink I have experienced long lines but maybe that was coincidence. 

It really depends on what you plan to drink.  Here are the prices of most of the beverages that are not free if you want to try to estimate how much you would spend in a day.  Bottled water - $2.25, Soda - $3.50, Beer between $6 and $8, Mixed drinks $8- $10 and Frozen drinks - $12- $14.  I don't have the prices for wine, specialty coffees or fresh squeezed orange juice because we don't drink those.  I used these numbers to calculate what we would drink on port days and what we would drink on sea days and figured out that it would not be worth it for us to get the deluxe beverage package.  I did get the soda package on sale for $10/day because I know I will drink at least 3 sodas a day so it is worth it.  I hope this helps! 

Everything can be ordered without the package and for a fee. For me the drink package does not make sense as I just do not drink that many paid beverages a day. The break even for the deluxe alcohol package is around 5 drinks a day. The soda only is probably the best at 3 drinks a day, but I am a one or two a day at best drinker and that is sea days. 

I’ve paid $45 for my upcoming allure of the seas sailing. Actually most drinks that I’ll be drinking are around the $13 price. Mixed drinks, wine, etc. With only having 3 a day, a couple bottles of water, maybe a soda or specialty coffee I break even right there. Some days I will have more then 3 lol so that won’t be a problem for me. Also, we have 3 ports, one being labadee we can use the package on the island :) San Juan is also a short stop. I went back on forth on it at first but I know I will definitely be able to spend and many days more then the $45 that I paid with the prices of drinks on board. 

The only thing I am aware of that you can get at a bar free, or without a package is a glass of water.  Anything else from a bar has a charge.

If you don't want to pay for any drink, as mentioned previously iced tea, coffee, lemonade and hot chocolate are offered in various area of the ships. 

1 hour ago, Steven7777 said:

Still wondering what drinks (obviously non alcoholic) I could order from the bars without a drink package 

If you mean for no charge, then pretty much ice water is it. You can get any non-alcoholic drinks you want but they will not be free. 

1 hour ago, Steven7777 said:

Still wondering what drinks (obviously non alcoholic) I could order from the bars without a drink package 

As others have said, you can order anything you want from the bars. It’s just like any other bar on land. There was be a charge for any non alcoholic drink, except water, which you can easily get elsewhere. Bottled water, there will be a charge. I don’t know the percentage, but I would bet the majority of passengers do not have a drink package.

2 hours ago, Steven7777 said:

The only time that I sailed on a cruise ship without some kind of beverage package was on 2 cruises in 1986 and 1991.

At that time they offered  in the MDR (didn't even have buffets back then)  Juice at breakfast, Tap water, milk,  lemonade, Iced tea, hot tea and coffee maybe hot chocolate. Tap water was the only item at a bar that was no charge. The reason that you aren't getting a direct answer is that those who don't buy the drink package who would be the ones to answer your question

are :

1)  Some are just camels and don't need to hydrate more than at meal time

2)  Some have a suite, or some loyalty status where they get drinks for free in a private lounge

3) They just buy drinks as needed and don't care about what's included.

Only you can decide what's best for you since you are the only one who would know what you like to drink and the capacity that you can handle.

Edited by Iamcruzin

The only thing free at bars is a glass of water. If you want any of the included drinks (coffee, iced tea, lemonade, flavored water) you have to go to one of the food venues that are free/included. During breakfast juices are also available for free - but only during breakfast hours. 

FYI from my experience there is only one type of flavored water available at a time and it's same throughout the ship and it was the same every day. My last time on Oasis Sorrentos had a different flavor a few of the days. 

We just returned from Brilliance. There were water dispensers at every bar throughout the day. Orange juice, apple juice, tea, coffee, and water were available at several locations inside the cafe. 

We did the math before we purchased the drink package and decided that worst case we would break even. Beers average $7, mixed drinks were $10.50, frozen drinks were $12-13. When you add 18% gratuity that brings the cost to about $8.25, $12.40. and $14. Our drink package was $59 each including gratuity. If you are a beer drinker exclusively you break even at about 7 beers. If you like margaritas or wine with dinner your break-even is closer to 5 drinks a day p/p. Adding in energy drinks, sodas, and specialty coffees will also change the equation. I had about 5 beers a day plus 2 glasses of wine with dinner and a whiskey on the balcony in the evening; so about $60/day. My wife, on the other hand, doesn't drink beer so 4 margaritas/day covered her package. Anything extra, Red Bulls/coffees in the morning, maybe a soda, and wine with dinner, were essentially "free".

Other things to consider are how much time you will spend on shore and will you drink more because its "free".

58 minutes ago, Steven7777 said:

I think all my questions are answered. Thanks for the help everyone.

To add to your answers, you asked about filling your own mug/sports bottle in the buffet or cafe. Perfectly acceptable. You just have to use a glass and not put it up to the sprocket.  

Also recommend taking small packets of Crystal Light or Mio drops (or something similar) to add to tap water served at bars/restaurants or to your own bottle. 

Free drinks included are tap water, hot and iced tea, coffee (not specialty), White and chocolate milk, hot chocolate, lemonade, usually some type of punch or flavored water, juice at breakfast (not fresh squeezed). 

34 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

To add to your answers, you asked about filling your own mug/sports bottle in the buffet or cafe. Perfectly acceptable. You just have to use a glass and not put it up to the sprocket.  

Also recommend taking small packets of Crystal Light or Mio drops (or something similar) to add to tap water served at bars/restaurants or to your own bottle. 

Free drinks included are tap water, hot and iced tea, coffee (not specialty), White and chocolate milk, hot chocolate, lemonade, usually some type of punch or flavored water, juice at breakfast (not fresh squeezed). 

Absolutely love the idea with the crystal light. Thanks for that tip. I think were going to go no drink package, bring our own mugs, and then some crystal light like you said.

How's about bringing my own drinks, like a 2L bottle of coke or juice, I assume that's not allowed?

4 minutes ago, Steven7777 said:

How's about bringing my own drinks, like a 2L bottle of coke or juice, I assume that's not allowed?

Royal updated it's policy in August.

"Specifically, non-alcoholic beverages brought onboard may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Distilled water or specialized beverages such as, milk for medical purposes, dietary or infant use, are permitted."

Blog post on updated alcoholic beverage package.

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal updated it's policy in August.

"Specifically, non-alcoholic beverages brought onboard may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Distilled water or specialized beverages such as, milk for medical purposes, dietary or infant use, are permitted."

So I can bring 12 cans of pop?

2 minutes ago, twangster said: