Can I bring any kind of wine on board?

FrankNBrew

My wife and I will be enjoying our first cruise on Royal Carribean this February. We're not big wine fans, however I do like a burboun, or a cognac. Because of this I've taken a liking to port wine. It's almost twice as much alcohol as regular wine. I'm wondering if the cruise check-in folks will have any concern about the type of wine I bring on board. I'm guessing no, but it's worth asking. I'm also planning to bring a case of water bottles checked in with a luggage tag. And I'm also planning to bring a dozen bottles of soft drinks in my carry on. Everything I've read so far says these will not be a problem. Several folks on other forums have commented that it could be an issue, but nobody has personally experienced any problems with these items. If you've personally had an issue bringing aboard any of these items on Royal Carribean please let me know. Thanks!!

5 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

My wife and I will be enjoying our first cruise on Royal Carribean this February. We're not big wine fans, however I do like a burboun, or a cognac. Because of this I've taken a liking to port wine. It's almost twice as much alcohol as regular wine. I'm wondering if the cruise check-in folks will have any concern about the type of wine I bring on board. I'm guessing no, but it's worth asking. I'm also planning to bring a case of water bottles checked in with a luggage tag. And I'm also planning to bring a dozen bottles of soft drinks in my carry on. Everything I've read so far says these will not be a problem. Several folks on other forums have commented that it could be an issue, but nobody has personally experienced any problems with these items. If you've personally had an issue bringing aboard any of these items on Royal Carribean please let me know. Thanks!!

You should ask this on the Royal Caribbean sub-forum.

Or read the policies on their website.

Be sure to note any corkage fees.

And keep in mind, once you have their answer, do keep in mind that if you go on another cruise line, each line can have very different policies.

Also, water and soft drink policies can vary from line to line, from no limit to absolutely NONE allowed.

GC

Edited by GeezerCouple

6 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

Though "fortified," port is still wine.

QA

What kind of food or drinks am I allowed to bring onboard a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

One of the best things about cruising is the food! And there will be many dining options available to suit most tastes and preferences. However you are free to bring non-perishable prepackaged food in limited quantities.

While we have many drink offerings onboard, you are welcomed to bring select beverages onboard.

On boarding day, each stateroom may bring up to two 750 ml bottles of wine or champagne, as long as one guest is of legal drinking age. Corkscrews will be provided for guests to enjoy their drinks in their stateroom. If guests wish to enjoy their wine or champagne in our dining or bar venues, there will be a corkage fee applied.

Guests may also bring non-alcoholic beverages as carry-on items on boarding day. Non-alcoholic beverages may not exceed 12 standard (17 oz.) cans, bottles or cartons per stateroom. Milk and distilled water brought on for infant, medical, or dietary use are permitted. 

Guests who purchase alcohol bottles onboard, in a port-of-call, or bring more than the two permitted bottles on boarding day, will have their items safely stored by the ship. These bottles will be returned on the last day onboard for enjoyment once home.

2 hours ago, FrankNBrew said:

Not sure which terminal you are sailing from but in Port Canaveral you are not allowed to put a luggage tag on a case of water.  Wine, soda, water, etc must be carried on and they are very strict about it..

16 minutes ago, FrankNBrew said:

I've already read the RCCL rules. I'm looking for personal experience with my questions. Thanks.

I see from another thread that you will be sailing out of Galveston. I will say that prior to the new rules which prohibited any non-alcoholic drinks be brought on board Galveston was one of the ports that did not enforce those rules. You would see people with the luggage tags on cases of bottles of water being given to the porters and carrying on multiple 12 packs of soda's. But since the rule change in September I've not read or heard anything as to people being refused like that has been reported at other ports. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

I know someone who took foil off bottle of wine then removed cork, then removed wine then replaced wine with scotch. Not that hard depends on type of foil on wine😁😁

I may have viewed some videos on Youtube with regard to that. I also may have seen some videos about Rum Runners. 10 years back I would have worked all the angles. But my wife and I don't drink like we used to. I'm hoping the 2 bottles of port and our $225 on board credit will be all the alcohol we consume on board the ship for the week. I'm guessing we will do more drinking at the 3 stops than on the ship.

For non-alcoholic beverages including water, 12 bottles up to half-liter each, in Carryon only, is RCI's new policy, and on the RCI board this is being enforced more places than not. There is nothing wrong with the ship's water, it is in your food, coffee, tea, and any beverage prepared from a concentrate. Save your $6.

I have read on many boards (can't say for sure that RCI is one of them) that port is NOT viewed as a wine. But apparently they may hold it for you til debarking. Or lose more than $6.

You have three months to watch your Cruise Planner and snap up the Deluxe Beverage Package on sale and not have to worry about any of this!

19 hours ago, FrankNBrew said:

I guess no bad news is good news. I've got three months to keep an eye on the boards for more feedback. And worst case scenario is we lose a $6.00 case of water at the port. Thanks!

The new rule has only been in effect for a short period of time but all reports I have seen have said it is being stringently enforced. Dock workers will no longer accept cases. 

since port is often found in non standard bottles, you may have  issues with them letting it through.  some people can't be bothered to read the label( or have no clue) and  insist that since it doesn't look like a normal bottle of wine, it isn't wine.  this goes for champagne and  late harvest wines as well as some Rieslings/Gewurtztraminer's as well 

you can no longer check bottled water on Royal.  they will not even accept it.   carry on only.  ( same with the recently allowed 12 pack of soft drinks)  cans would be better unless you are bring plastic bottles of soda.  

On 11/14/2018 at 7:26 AM, FrankNBrew said:

No problem with the wine. I have taken a bottle of port on every RC cruise for the last several years. Took 2 bottles of port on Symphony two weeks ago.  I took two in my carry on and my wife had two in her carry on. no problems. happy sailing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

I'm sailing tomorrow - this is from the eDoc for my trip .. copied right now:

Alcohol Policy

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines)

Yes, it is true:  an adjective really does change the meaning of the noun it modifies.

An “enhanced” drivers license,, an “honest” politician, a “fortified” wine, etc.

6 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Alcohol Policy

Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor, fortified wines (vermouth, sherry, sake, and port wines)

No Port? How about Starboard?

https://shop.quadywinery.com/Wines/Port-Starboard

actually -quite good!

10 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

Alcohol Policy

The RCI rules don’t mention anything about types of wine. I’ll give it a try. Worst case I have to check 2 bottles of port that go back in the liquor cabinet when I get home. 

The Starboard might actually work: 750mL bottle and port style wine, but still wine and not port.

We prefer sweet wine (harder to find on ships) and usually take local fruit wines.  Our last trip (Carnival, but RC sails from the same port) we took a local peach plus a bottle of Bunratty Meade.  Mead is traditionally wine made from honey vs. grape, but Bunratty is white wine with honey added.  It was permitted, but the bottle was checked thoroughly.  I don't know if actual mead would have made it through.

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

The Starboard might actually work: 750mL bottle and port style wine, but still wine and not port.

We prefer sweet wine (harder to find on ships) and usually take local fruit wines.  Our last trip (Carnival, but RC sails from the same port) we took a local peach plus a bottle of Bunratty Meade.  Mead is traditionally wine made from honey vs. grape, but Bunratty is white wine with honey added.  It was permitted, but the bottle was checked thoroughly.  I don't know if actual mead would have made it through.

Nice try. Starboard is port (I.e., a "fortified"

wine, which may be prohibited by some cruise lines. In the future, consider Oceania where you bring whatever you want. Of course, spirits will need to be consumed in your cabin and wine brought to a dining room is subject to $25 corkage.

One important caveat: never take your glass of personal cabin wine into a public space or dining room. Common sense and decorum are what keep O's personal booze policies flexible.

I appreciate all the responses. What I’ve gathered so far is some cruise lines specify no fortified wine. But RCI does not. And the Galveston port appears to be much friendlier than others from what I’ve read. So far I have not heard a single person has been denied bringing a bottle of port onto an RCI cruise. Unless something changes in the next couple months I’ll be bringing a bottle, or two, of port on board. 

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Nice try. Starboard is port (I.e., a "fortified"

wine, which may be prohibited by some cruise lines. In the future, consider Oceania where you bring whatever you want. Of course, spirits will need to be consumed in your cabin and wine brought to a dining room is subject to $25 corkage.

One important caveat: never take your glass of personal cabin wine into a public space or dining room. Common sense and decorum are what keep O's personal booze policies flexible.

Then the web page should call it port, not a "port style" wine.

I figured Oceania's price is what keeps their alcohol policies flexible, that part of what passengers are paying for is less restrictions and more included/allowed with the fare.

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Then the web page should call it port, not a "port style" wine.

I figured Oceania's price is what keeps their alcohol policies flexible, that part of what passengers are paying for is less restrictions and more included/allowed with the fare.

Perhaps Quady is paying homage to its origins by not claiming title to the term port (sort of like champagne vs sparkling wine). In any case, Starboard is a "fortified" wine.

• Thanks 1