Can our 14 yo. go through the expedite customs line?

ravenone

My wife and I both have Global Entry which allows us to use the expedite line at customs (at the end of the cruise).  Does anyone know if our 14 yo. will be allowed to go through the line with us, or do we all have to go through the standard customs line?

18 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I think when you fill out the form, it allows you to add up to three other (total of 4) family members.

I believe you are talking about the Mobile Passport App which can be downloaded for free.  US and Canadian Citizens can do at no cost. 

Global Entry is another program to which all members are to be enrolled in, at a cost and takes a period of time to apply for and be accepted.  We have the Canadian equivalent called Nexus and our son was enrolled in at the age of 9.

Just now, jdg623 said:

We've never seen a Global Entry line in any of the Florida cruise ports from which we normally sail - am I missing it? I'd love to be able to use an expedited line, especially in Ft Lauderdale!

Terminal 18 in FL has had it.  They do not have the machines, but a short line to an agent.  We have never used it as we use the suite walk off which has a short line.  I do know others that have used it.

That being said, I have not seen any reports for it in the last while, so I can not report if it is still being done.

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Terminal 18 in FL has had it.  They do not have the machines, but a short line to an agent.  We have never used it as we use the suite walk off which has a short line.  I do know others that have used it.

That being said, I have not seen any reports for it in the last while, so I can not report if it is still being done.

Thanks, I obviously missed it in the past. We won't be sailing out of FL till next October, but I'll look for it then. I haven't noticed it in PC, which is our port for the next 2 cruises but may have missed it there too. 

12 minutes ago, jdg623 said:

We've never seen a Global Entry line in any of the Florida cruise ports from which we normally sail - am I missing it? I'd love to be able to use an expedited line, especially in Ft Lauderdale!

I was told by a CPB agent when he saw my Global Entry card (I keep it in my passport book) that even at cruise ports without it that showing the card would expedite you to the front of the line. I haven't tried it as all the cruises since then I've had someone in my party that doesn't have GE so it's of no use to me. 

19 minutes ago, ravenone said:

Thanks everyone for the inputs.  I guess we will need to go through the standard line since we won't be paying or signing our son up for Global Entry just for this cruise.

Check out the Mobile Passport App.  If they use it at your disembarkation port it might save you some time.

Edited by A&L_Ont

I have a Global Entry card and the person I was traveling with (in the same car on the way home) did NOT have the card. The port agent let us both through the special area and didn’t question her at all.  This was at Port Everglades, terminal 29 for the Adventure. Terminal 18 (Allure, Harmony) has a Global Entry area and you just tell the port employee you have the card and show it. 

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

I was told by a CPB agent when he saw my Global Entry card (I keep it in my passport book) that even at cruise ports without it that showing the card would expedite you to the front of the line. I haven't tried it as all the cruises since then I've had someone in my party that doesn't have GE so it's of no use to me. 

Good to know - we'll bring our cards from now on - can't hurt to try! :classic_smile:

2 hours ago, ravenone said:

My wife and I both have Global Entry which allows us to use the expedite line at customs (at the end of the cruise).  Does anyone know if our 14 yo. will be allowed to go through the line with us, or do we all have to go through the standard customs line?

Global entry is for those that went through the full back-ground checks, and were approved as a trusted traveler.  Age does not matter, nor does relationships. 

49 minutes ago, jdg623 said:

Good to know - we'll bring our cards from now on - can't hurt to try! :classic_smile:

If you ever fly to Canada make sure to bring it to. They ask for it (at least at Toronto Airport) because US Customs is actually in Canada and it's a separate spot, but they don't know you're Global Entry to get in unless you have your card. Which is why I just keep it with my passport anymore! Was super stoked to be able to go through the quick Canada Airport security with it.

I would seriously think twice about trying to use it while with others, including minors, who don't have it if you are using the Global Entry/Nexus line.  You can have yours revoked, I say this as it was one of the conditions of the terms we signed.  The agent we interviewed with made this very clear. 

It's very easy to lose your status so consider if its worth the chance.  

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

If you ever fly to Canada make sure to bring it to. They ask for it (at least at Toronto Airport) because US Customs is actually in Canada and it's a separate spot, but they don't know you're Global Entry to get in unless you have your card. Which is why I just keep it with my passport anymore! Was super stoked to be able to go through the quick Canada Airport security with it.

Great tip, thanks. We're flying into Vancouver next year for our Alaska cruise, so I'm definitely putting our cards on our packing list!

1 hour ago, tinkertwo said:

I would seriously think twice about trying to use it while with others, including minors, who don't have it if you are using the Global Entry/Nexus line.  You can have yours revoked, I say this as it was one of the conditions of the terms we signed.  The agent we interviewed with made this very clear. 

It's very easy to lose your status so consider if its worth the chance.  

The main advantage of having a GE card is to skip the long lines at the customs desk. I was  traveling with someone who was not related to me. She was with me when we told the port employee I had the card. We were both sent through the short GE line but she didn’t go to the desk with me. She went after me. 

Our granddaughter got GE at age 2 so she could travel with her parents.  Yes using a porter really helps.  At Black Falcon Pier in Boston we went to the head of the very, very, very long taxi line with our porter.  Well worth the tip.

15 hours ago, island284 said:

I have a Global Entry card and the person I was traveling with (in the same car on the way home) did NOT have the card. The port agent let us both through the special area and didn’t question her at all.  This was at Port Everglades, terminal 29 for the Adventure. Terminal 18 (Allure, Harmony) has a Global Entry area and you just tell the port employee you have the card and show it. 

My husband went through with me, also, after debarking the Adventure 2 weeks ago.  

Look for the signage.  In Terminal 29 it's the very far left line.  When you enter the line for Customs, go across the back end of the lines, and then into the GE line.  It was empty when we entered it, and the Customs agent had no problem clearing my husband (who does not have GE) after clearing me.  But, my husband has to carry a portable stool with him anywhere he might encounter long periods of standing due to his back problems.  So, the agent might have just passed him through as disabled.

All you have to do is ask.  If the agent says no, then decide if you go back to the regular line or split up.

I'm going to push my husband into getting his own before our travels next year.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:12 PM, island284 said:

The main advantage of having a GE card is to skip the long lines at the customs desk. I was  traveling with someone who was not related to me. She was with me when we told the port employee I had the card. We were both sent through the short GE line but she didn’t go to the desk with me. She went after me. 

Just to clarify, I didn't say you would lose your card, I said you could lose your card.  Being directed to the line by an agent is very different than trying to sneak people in just because one person has a card.  They do have the right to revoke it for that very reason.  Again, it is up to the agent as how to handle this.  I just wouldn't take the chance but if others want to its up to them.  

On 11/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, smplybcause said:

Yeah, I found this out the hard way.  I signed up for GE when it first came out.  No cards.

Was coming back from Canada and could not get to the Global Entry line because of no card, which was not issued to me.

It was a Canadian airport worker, NOT CBP that would not let me into the GE line.