Cruise Critic Community

I am taking my son (8), daughter (17), and her best friend (18) on a cruise in late March. We are cruising on the Classica. I was just curious about the extra fees we will encounter. Gratuity is around $13 per person per night correct? What other charges will we be looking at? 

They may charge a fuel fee.   There are additional charges for booze, gambling, specialty food, and sometimes for the comedy club.                                                                                                        

If you drive yourself to the Portofino Shores you’ll also have to pay for parking, I believe it’s around $18/ day. 

Parking is mandatory valet, you pay AS you give them your car.  I believe they take credit, but cash on hand makes it so much easier.

Just an FYI - on these ships, 18 year olds can drink once in international waters (3 miles out from coast).  Just some information to have under your belt if you did not know that already :)  

Thanks all! I printed the dining room menus and they looked them over and decided we will be eating at the buffet and burger or pizza joints. The kids are super picky and not wanting to try new things. So Im budgeting in for the extra expense of eating now. Darn kids.

6 hours ago, bstevenfield said:

Thanks all! I printed the dining room menus and they looked them over and decided we will be eating at the buffet and burger or pizza joints. The kids are super picky and not wanting to try new things. So Im budgeting in for the extra expense of eating now. Darn kids.

The pizza is not free. It’s the best pizza I’ve eaten but it’s not free. I suggest you eat at the main dining room the Yellow Elder which is free. This ship is is really for an older crowd so if you can manage it, wait for the Grand Celebration to come back to Palm Beach which is the middle of December and then book your cruise. The kids club on the Celebration is much better than on the Classica. Just saying, the two ships are both beautiful but are so different in the class of people that they attract. I would change ships knowing what I know about both ships.

Edited by pinkie60

14 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

The pizza is not free. It’s the best pizza I’ve eaten but it’s not free. I suggest you eat at the main dining room the Yellow Elder which is free. This ship is is really for an older crowd so if you can manage it, wait for the Grand Celebration to come back to Palm Beach which is the middle of December and then book your cruise. The kids club on the Celebration is much better than on the Classica. Just saying, the two ships are both beautiful but are so different in the class of people that they attract. I would change ships knowing what I know about both ships.

I know that there is a charge for the pizza but the kids looked at the dining room menus and there is nothing they will eat. I don't mind paying for our dinners. It's only 2 nights. We aren't going until March so I may change the date by a day to go on the Grand Celebration. Did you do any excursions?

On 11/20/2018 at 9:15 AM, bstevenfield said:

I know that there is a charge for the pizza but the kids looked at the dining room menus and there is nothing they will eat. I don't mind paying for our dinners. It's only 2 nights. We aren't going until March so I may change the date by a day to go on the Grand Celebration. Did you do any excursions?

I would totally change ships from Classica to the Celebration. The Celebration formerly a Carnival ship is way more geared for kids than the Classica. As for the excursions, I’ve been to Grand Bahama Island more times than I can count starting in 1992. I personally have stayed at the Grand Luycanan at least 5 times. It’s beautiful by the marketplace and the hotel. If you’re looking to save money don’t do an excursion. You are going in March. The weather will be iffy to say the least. So counting on the weather is going to be a factor on your cruise. I personally would wait until a week or so before the cruise and decide then what to do. If you take the Celebration, the crew in the kids club will certainly keep your kids busy on the ship should the weather turn cold and nasty.