Faked Alaska!

steve ch

It is odd isn't it.  But I had assumed that it is just what Americans think Baked Alaska is?  Like cuts of meat and other things sometimes having different names?  Doing real baked alaska (UK style) on that scale would probably be too challenging. 

And I have always been utterly bemused by the hanky flapping thing....  Thankfully doesn't happen in Luminae.

The BA is not one of the high points of the cruise.   As a dessert it is OK, but not my favorite.  Celebrity actually has some excellent desserts like creme brûlée and Doce de leche.

I accidentally hit my wife with the napkin once, so it is getting old.

To be sure, my take on the topic is, anytime a recipe is altered from the original, there is bound to be displeasure from those who desire it as in the original,  as they know it. There are quite a few varied recipes of this item, of which none are more authentic than any other, only the one which is mostly made is the set standard, for now.

I suggest that different ingredients availability and different chefs/cooks alter recipes to fit their approach and preferences. I do believe that most recipes aboard most passenger ships are altered to meet time frame for preparation, ingredients available, skills of those tasked with preparing the dish(es) for hundreds of consumers nightly is bound to be very different from what one 'pines' for when ordering.

I would also advance that there is NO one way to prepare BA, only the way one is accustomed to having it served to them.

The best way to approach the situation is to never order it, knowing that the recipe/presentation will not meet your standards or taste. Then it becomes one of those food items you cannot recommend to others to order. My guess would be that there are many others who enjoy this recipe.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

I remember the first time I had Baked Alaska as a teen in 2005 on RCCL I thought it was amazing...kind of a meringue with ice cream inside? Did not order it again until 2017 on Silhouette and it was like a nasty dense dry cake. 

Is this the difference you refer to? 

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

To be sure, my take on the topic is, anytime a recipe is altered from the original, there is bound to be displeasure from those who desire it as in the original,  as they know it. There are quite a few varied recipes of this item, of which none are more authentic than any other, only the one which is mostly made is the set standard, for now.

I suggest that different ingredients availability and different chefs/cooks alter recipes to fit their approach and preferences. I do believe that most recipes aboard most passenger ships are altered to meet time frame for preparation, ingredients available, skills of those tasked with preparing the dish(es) for hundreds of consumers nightly is bound to be very different from what one 'pines' for when ordering.

I would also advance that there is NO one way to prepare BA, only the way one is accustomed to having it served to them.

The best way to approach the situation is to never order it, knowing that the recipe/presentation will not meet your standards or taste. Then it becomes one of those food items you cannot recommend to others to order. My guess would be that there are many others who enjoy this recipe.

bon appetite and bon voyage

Excellent retort.  Cruise on. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

44 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We can always find another dessert to order in Luminae.  If not, we just head to Café Al Bacio.

We usually just skip dessert and head to al Bacio, especially with the beverage package, to have an Irish Coffee and one of their delicious desserts.  We had a problem only once on Reflection when I believe the pastry chef forgot to put any sugar in the desserts.  They were absolutely awful!

Faux meringue is the problem - it's terrible on anything - just goopy, uber sweet blobby, yucky stuff .  The real thing is delish, but have never been big fan of Baked Alaska regardless of the topping.

I didn’t like the Baked Alaska when it was. ‘real’ and never really noticed it on the menu. I’ve tried many desserts and many entrees prepped differently then I’m use to and in most cases I’m glad it’s different. 

But i understand the ‘outrage’ over some classic that use to be paraded through the MDR. Really glad that’s ended. 

Den

4 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

We've never ordered it and always get it anyway. It's been our experience that they serve the Baked Alaska to everyone without offering any options. I hope that's changed. It's been a while since we ate in the MDR, I was hoping that they had done away with the napkin nonsense.

6 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

We've never ordered it and always get it anyway. It's been our experience that they serve the Baked Alaska to everyone without offering any options. I hope that's changed. It's been a while since we ate in the MDR, I was hoping that they had done away with the napkin nonsense.

We always tell our waitstaff no thank you and order from the dessert menu. 

The serving of Baked Alaska on the last day of any ocean voyage is a tradition that goes back at least 100 years, maybe more.  In that amount of time, many different variations of the recipe have cropped up and, when there are different ways to prepare something, people are likely to disagree on which one is "right".  However, on a cruise, you are always free to order a second desert if you do not like the first one or even to order two deserts at a time and just eat the one that you prefer.

• Thanks 1

My first couple of cruises on Celebrity, we ate early in select, had awesome waiters, and didn’t even know about the “baked Alaska”.  Third cruise, the waiter didn’t ask, just slipped it in and didn’t ask what we wanted.  It was nasty and I went to the buffet for a better ending to dinner.

Since then, we make special requests for our last night.  

What's not to like??    Dry cake, half-melted ice cream, and scorched fake méringue - Yummm!    We never liked Baked Alaska even when it was 'real'.   We also weren't too fond of people waving around their used napkins, one or two of which we had seen being used as handkerchiefs just moments prior.    Our last cruise we had to repeat 'no thank you' a couple of times to our waiter, then the assistant waiter.    There are always other dessert options available, so why accept something you don't want?    

It was worse when they danced with them in all their flaming glory.. On Royal our waiters called it the flaming babaloo.

Heard they stopped the flaming dance when someone's hair caught fire..myth, legend or truth..I do not know!

I personally like traditional Baked Alaska.  What  they serve on cruise ships,  not so much.  Just think of it as a tradition, enjoy,  and order the dessert you want.  

Maybe they should change the name to "flaming babaloo".  Then I would probably order it!   Haha

Oh no, I'm the only one who enjoyed the parade? Sigh. There was the time we took my 80 year old mother on her first cruise. Our waiters were so attentive to her. For the Baked Alaska parade they do-ce-doed her around and one waiter tied a table cloth around his waist and did a silly little dance for her. It was the highlight of her cruise. Thinking about it makes me smile. Now we enjoy select dining and there is no time for a silly parade.

As for the Baked Alaska, it's okay. I don't think they could mass produce real meringue and bake it on ice cream without making a huge mess. I prefer the Creme Brule or chocolate souffle and no one has ever forced the BA on me.

1 hour ago, Marelaine said:

Oh no, I'm the only one who enjoyed the parade? Sigh. There was the time we took my 80 year old mother on her first cruise. Our waiters were so attentive to her. For the Baked Alaska parade they do-ce-doed her around and one waiter tied a table cloth around his waist and did a silly little dance for her. It was the highlight of her cruise. Thinking about it makes me smile. Now we enjoy select dining and there is no time for a silly parade.

As for the Baked Alaska, it's okay. I don't think they could mass produce real meringue and bake it on ice cream without making a huge mess. I prefer the Creme Brule or chocolate souffle and no one has ever forced the BA on me.

What a nice memory for you. I bet you smile remembering your mom's laughter at the spectacle each time you see it.