Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Suburbanette

Nieuw Amsterdam: balcony dividers and fridges

Recommended Posts

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Can the balcony partitions (dividers) be removed on any of the balcony (verandah) cabins? Or,  just certain ones? Specifically, I'm looking into cabins on Deck 7 aft VE and VD categories. We'll be getting several in a row and would like the dividers removed, if allowed.

In those same cabins, are there refrigerators?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Suburbanette said:

On the Nieuw Amsterdam:

Can the balcony partitions (dividers) be removed on any of the balcony (verandah) cabins? Or,  just certain ones? Specifically, I'm looking into cabins on Deck 7 aft VE and VD categories. We'll be getting several in a row and would like the dividers removed, if allowed.

In those same cabins, are there refrigerators?

Thanks!

I'm not sure of HAL's general policy on balcony dividers, but most lines leave this to the Captain's discretion as to whether they can be opened (not removed) or not, and how many total on the ship at one time, and how many in a row.  Per SOLAS, all balcony dividers must be able to be opened, on ships built after 2006, but that is for emergency use.  The only dividers that have a blanket prohibition on opening for passenger convenience are between cabins that are in different fire zones (there is a door in the passageway between the cabins).

Edited by chengkp75

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As your Room Steward and they will have the dividers opened.  Note that the dividers will only open a small portion with room enough to walk around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to know! Thanks! And, oops yes, "opened" is what i should have said, not "removed."

 

26 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm not sure of HAL's general policy on balcony dividers, but most lines leave this to the Captain's discretion as to whether they can be opened (not removed) or not, and how many total on the ship at one time, and how many in a row.  Per SOLAS, all balcony dividers must be able to be opened, on ships built after 2006, but that is for emergency use.  The only dividers that have a blanket prohibition on opening for passenger convenience are between cabins that are in different fire zones (there is a door in the passageway between the cabins).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Crew News said:

As your Room Steward and they will have the dividers opened.  Note that the dividers will only open a small portion with room enough to walk around.

Will do! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

There is a small black knob at the top that your cabin steward uses to lock the door in place so that it doesn't bang.

 

enhance

 

enhance

 

 

Ah, I see. It's just a section that opens, not the whole thing. I've never seen that configuration before on other ships. Thanks for the photos.

 

Edited by Suburbanette
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are welcome.

 

That small door opening is used mainly for the crew to go from one balcony/verandah to other to wash them down on turn-around day.

 

Nothing on HAL ships open all the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...