Deep68

Bringing wine onboard at ports and tea

A couple of different questions

Firstly wine. I understand the rules for bringing wine onboard at embarkation but what happens if you bring wine onboard at later  ports. Do you pay corkage or is is taken and returned at departure?

Secondly tea . What type of black tea (English Breakfast) is available onboard ship at the moment.

Embarking on my cruise Monday and have a couple of last minute questions.

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, Deep68 said:

Do you pay corkage or is is taken and returned at departure?

Your choice!  Also, I don't know if it's still the rule, but at one time if you bought wine at a winery visited by a ship excursion you could bring back one bottle per adult corkage-free for in-room consumption.

Edited by catl331

9 minutes ago, Deep68 said:

Secondly tea . What type of black tea (English Breakfast) is available onboard ship at the moment.

PG Tips in Lido, but can't remember the other brand.  Maybe Biggelows?

1 minute ago, VMax1700 said:

PG Tips in Lido, but can't remember the other brand.  Maybe Biggelows?

I bring my own tea bags for the mornings because I'm particular. 

30 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Your choice!  Also, I don't know if it's still the rule, but at one time if you bought wine at a winery visited by a ship excursion you could bring back one bottle per adult corkage-free for in-room consumption.

True that if you purchase a bottle of wine on a HAL tour you don't pay corkage and can take it to your cabin immediately (this was on a tour in Peru in September).  The crew had to be reminded, and it helps them if you keep your little ship sticker on for proof of tour.  

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Good to know about the wine options.

PG tips tea is good. Being originally from the U.K. I too am particular on my tea! 

4 hours ago, Deep68 said:

A couple of different questions

Firstly wine. I understand the rules for bringing wine onboard at embarkation but what happens if you bring wine onboard at later  ports. Do you pay corkage or is is taken and returned at departure?

Embarking on my cruise Monday and have a couple of last minute questions.

Thanks 

The English Breakfast tea on HAL in Bigelow.

We were told that if you buy a bottle (each) of wine on a HAL tour you will bring it on corkage free  to any venue.  The sticker proves it.  You don't have to drink it in your room.   Actually last year on Zaandam, we bought a bottle in a winery in Chile (we had enjoyed the tasting) and took it to the Pinnacle.  DH invited the cellar master to join us for a sample.  He was not happy with it, even after decanting it, and gave us a free bottle from the Pinnacle wine menu.

PS  I forgot to say, we also brought wine on on the Prinsendam.  We were questioned, and had to confirm with the shorex desk that we could take the wine wherever we wanted.  So it might be a good idea to discuss that with them.

Edited by Vict0riann

On Prinsendam recently, next to PG there was always another brand (in addition to Bigelow in its separate box), in a green box - it had “English” in the name but had non-English writing (Dutch perhaps?).  It was very good, and I usually opted for it.  PG may be superior, but not by much, and somehow I feel like the PG bag in those little cups is wasteful... odd of me, I know! :classic_happy:

11 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

We were told that if you buy a bottle (each) of wine on a HAL tour you will bring it on corkage free  to any venue.  The sticker proves it.  You don't have to drink it in your room.   Actually last year on Zaandam, we bought a bottle in a winery in Chile (we had enjoyed the tasting) and took it to the Pinnacle.  DH invited the cellar master to join us for a sample.  He was not happy with it, even after decanting it, and gave us a free bottle from the Pinnacle wine menu.

I find that to be suspicious.  Bring a bus load of tourists to a winery and have them taste the good stuff, and then sell them the not-so-good stuff with the same label.  They know that cruise passengers won't be coming back to complain.

That wine had to be pretty bad for the cellar master to dump it.

igraf

12 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

... corkage free  to any venue.  You don't have to drink it in your room.

That's a change from the original rule.

Just off the Oosterdam.  The only Bigelow English Breakfast tea in either the Lido or dining room was decaf English Breakfast.  They still had Earl Grey in Bigelow brand.  Most of the herbal teas are Bigelow. 

There is another that is all over the ship in a primarily white packet with Chinese writing (a brand I have never heard of)  and I didn't like it at all.  Previously, we had always been able to get the Bigelow but not this time.  It is too bad that there isn't a choice.  It is just one more thing to have to bring.  Hope HAL will reconsider.

6 minutes ago, catl331 said:

That's a change from the original rule.

The key to that is that you get a sticker.  We have brought wine onboard from the a variety of ports.

When you arrive back onboard they usually have someone manning the table to collect corkage fees and provide stickers.  As mentioned above, if you purchased something on an HAL shore excursion, the corkage is waived on one bottle and you can drink it anywhere as long as it has the sticker.

13 minutes ago, just_cruising_along said:

The key to that is that you get a sticker.  We have brought wine onboard from the a variety of ports.

When you arrive back onboard they usually have someone manning the table to collect corkage fees and provide stickers.  As mentioned above, if you purchased something on an HAL shore excursion, the corkage is waived on one bottle and you can drink it anywhere as long as it has the sticker.

Exactly.  The two "free" bottles you bring on per couple at the beginning of the cruise do not get stickers, therefore you can drink them in your room, but if you take them to a venue, you still have to pay corkage.  Sticker = free anywhere!:classic_smile:

OP - I forgot to say, have a great cruise, and buy lots of wine in port!  Even paying the corkage, it's a good deal.

Forgot to say, again!  When we first board, with, say, 6 bottles,  we make sure we know which two we'll be drinking in the room and which we want to take to dinner, and get the stickers put on the correct bottles.

Edited by Vict0riann

1 hour ago, igraf said:

I find that to be suspicious.  Bring a bus load of tourists to a winery and have them taste the good stuff, and then sell them the not-so-good stuff with the same label.  They know that cruise passengers won't be coming back to complain.

igraf

Yes, I suppose I should have mentioned it to the shorex people.  But, of course, we're not wine connoisseurs and a small taste with lunch at the winery might not have been enough for us to discern that it wasn't really all that good.  Or we might have bought a different year from the one we tasted at lunch without realizing it.  DH did taste it after the CM and agreed, it was not good.

I usually pour a glass from the bottle in my room and take it with me if I choose.  They'll replace the wine glass in your room if one is missing.

2 hours ago, igraf said:

Wine could have been corked (assuming the closure was made from tree bark) due to micro-oranisms living in tree bark.  Said to affect ~10% of bottles in the old days.   Sensitive noses can detect it quite easily (wine smells like wet cardboard).

20 hours ago, Carol28 said:

I bring my own tea bags for the mornings because I'm particular. 

We also bring our local tea bags, but on the mornings we forget to take them to Lido, we have found a jar of PGTips available and they are a good alternative.

3 hours ago, Carol28 said:

I usually pour a glass from the bottle in my room and take it with me if I choose.  They'll replace the wine glass in your room if one is missing.

Congratulations!!! You've just saved $7.00 ... Four more times and you win a free Pinnacle dinner!

21 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Congratulations!!! You've just saved $7.00 ... Four more times and you win a free Pinnacle dinner!

I think I was just insulted.  Sarcasm is never appreciated.

19 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

Neither is coming on a public forum and bragging about not following the cruise line's rules !

4 hours ago, Carol28 said:

18 minutes ago, Carol28 said:

You think? 😂 Breaking the rules isn't appreciated either 🙄 Wine you don't pay corkage on is for in room consumption - not for public areas.