Cruise Critic Community
canyonblue737

CD Hugo Arneas on Mariner was excellent

I haven't seen much discussion of CD Hugo Arneas on these boards as it appears he just moved up to CD in late 2017 on Empress's Cuba cruises and now Mariner on the 3 and 4 days out of Miami at least through December. He was a perfect CD for Caribbean cruises with him being bilingual in Spanish and his energy level was beyond over the top yet somehow didn't become grating. Everything was a Latin flair. Very funny at every function he attended on the ship and a super job on the parties, I felt he was the best CD we have had on 5 RCI cruises so far.

Edited by canyonblue737

We had him in August on Mariner as well.  I agree..he was very funny (and very energetic and animated).  Even though I don't speak Spanish it was fun gearing him repeat his speal in the language at super speed)

Sailed with Hugo on our Empress cruise to Cuba last April, and he totally made the cruise for us. His infectious energy, genuine concern for the passengers enjoyment and comfort, and ability to connect with all age groups made this one of our top 5 cruises. A job very well done!!!

It's hard to put your finger on the fine line between over the top and infectious but Hugo certainly falls on the right side of the line. The moment we first heard from him I thought, wow... too much energy and craziness I won't like this but a minute later he had everyone, including myself won over. I kept telling my wife I had no idea how the guy can do that week after week, cruise after cruise. 

I have mixed feeling, he made the best quest ever during the cruise I even ran to the stage a couple of time helping my team but apart from the quest I felt he wasn’t that good. The guy has a lot if energy but idk I feel he is missing something. Sometimes I think he is not the problem but the employee working around him 

I got off the Mariner on Friday, and I couldn't even tell you what he looks like. To me, that's the sign of a good CD - when they aren't in your face all the time.  

I agree about his employees possibly dragging him down. He had one female assistant who ran several of the game shows I attended, and she was terrible. She would spend forever explaining the rules of the games, but then she would leave out huge key pieces so no one really knew what they were doing. I wanted to grab the mic from her and help out.

1 minute ago, LrgPizza said:

I got off the Mariner on Friday, and I couldn't even tell you what he looks like. To me, that's the sign of a good CD - when they aren't in your face all the time.  

I agree about his employees possibly dragging him down. He had one female assistant who ran several of the game shows I attended, and she was terrible. She would spend forever explaining the rules of the games, but then she would leave out huge key pieces so no one really knew what they were doing. I wanted to grab the mic from her and help out.

Thats wild because I too got off the Mariner Friday and saw Hugo constantly and he was the face of the cruise for us. I agree some of the 2nd tier game shows were run by the female activity manager and she had energy but did seem frazzled. 

4 minutes ago, canyonblue737 said:

Thats wild because I too got off the Mariner Friday and saw Hugo constantly and he was the face of the cruise for us. I agree some of the 2nd tier game shows were run by the female activity manager and she had energy but did seem frazzled. 

Maybe I saw him all over and didn't even realize since I didn't know what he looked like. LOL!

In defence of the staff, the 3 and 4 day cruises probably burn them out. Especially on a ship like Mariner.

Edited by CruisingJoe09