Missing dinner time with traditional dining

PandaBear62

Please excuse my ignorance. Although I have been on a number of cruises, this situation is new to me.

We have two ports (Skagway and Juneau), where the ship doesn't sail until 8:30 or 9. I doubt we will be back in time to be dressed for dinner at 5, with the change in dining times.

Can we then go to an "Anytime" Dining"  dining room, or will we need to eat at the buffet or make a reservation for a specialty restaurant?

Thank you for any input.

3 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

Please excuse my ignorance. Although I have been on a number of cruises, this situation is new to me.

We have two ports (Skagway and Juneau), where the ship doesn't sail until 8:30 or 9. I doubt we will be back in time to be dressed for dinner at 5, with the change in dining times.

Can we then go to an "Anytime" Dining"  dining room, or will we need to eat at the buffet or make a reservation for a specialty restaurant?

Thank you for any input.

On late nights they usually change all dining to anytime.

1 hour ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thank you for any input.

Yes.  Anytime dining is fine.   Or you can go to buffet if reboarding late.

Just curious, why not stay in town to have dinner at one of the local restaurants and enjoy fresh local seafood/local cuisine?

The ship docks within walking distance to town and restaurants.  It’s an easy short walk back to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

King 

Edited by Kingofcool1947

7 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

While we don't like Princess allowing TA diners  to go to Anytime Dining, they do so would work for you.  

Just curious why you don’t like Princess allowing TA diners to go to Anytime Dining?

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Just curious why you don’t like Princess allowing TA diners to go to Anytime Dining?

King

So not right for those who booked Anytime Dining to have to wait longer and makes it more crowded because  others who have TA  are allowed  to go when they wish. :classic_angry:

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

So not right for those who booked Anytime Dining to have to wait longer and makes it more crowded because  others who have TA  are allowed  to go when they wish. :classic_angry:

Sorry, I don’t know what you mean by “TA”?

King

The only person who can answer this with 100% is the ship's maitre d since they set policy for that cruise. They WANT pax to attend their assigned seating since the dinning rooms and kitchens are staffed to provide meals for that number of people. That being said, on port days they will likely relax any rules covering traditional/anytime. I have posted we have seen people turned away from anytime due to their assignment to traditional

• Haha 1

Talk to the maitre d... often I have seen them go to open seating on late port days, but not always...  By the way if you need to go to the buffet, it will be fine.   We do the Crown Grill, the buffet and room service, rarely go to the mdr any more... 

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Talk to the maitre d... often I have seen them go to open seating on late port days, but not always...  By the way if you need to go to the buffet, it will be fine.   We do the Crown Grill, the buffet and room service, rarely go to the mdr any more... 

I'm thinking they may have to make some sort of allowances with the change in dining times.  We're leaving on a cruise soon.  Had "early" dining at 6:00, but received an email this week that early dining is now 5:00.  That's going to be tricky with one port's time of 1:00-7:00 pm. 

I know that on late port days, I've seen all dining rooms go to anytime dining, I'm hoping that any port stop that now runs into the early seating time will mean anytime dining now.

16 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

King

You booked TA so you should have to stay in TA.  If you come to the Anytime room, you are making the lines longer for those of us who choose Anytime.  If I was booked in the Anytime room and I walked up to the TD and demanded to sit there, what do you think that the TDers would think.  Would I be welcome?

If you can't make your TD time slot, there are lots of other venues besides the Anytime room that will welcome you.

That should be very easy to understand.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

You booked TA so you should have to stay in TA.  If you come to the Anytime room, you are making the lines longer for those of us who choose Anytime.  If I was booked in the Anytime room and I walked up to the TD and demanded to sit there, what do you think that the TDers would think.  Would I be welcome?

If you can't make your TD time slot, there are lots of other venues besides the Anytime room that will welcome you.

That should be very easy to understand.

DON

Easy to understand, if I knew what is “TA” you people keep referring to. 

King

If you decide that you will be skipping your assigned Traditional Dining seating (whether to enjoy the port or for specialty restaurant or whatever), please let the staff and your tablemates know, so that they are not waiting for you. 

And Don, if there is an empty seat at my assigned table in Traditional Dining, , I will be happy to have you join us.  But I do understand that TD people going to Anytime Dining can cause additional strains on the AD dining room, and I will not burden you if I miss my assigned seating.  I'll go buffet, International, specialty or room service instead.

• Thanks 1

It has been our experience that anytime the ship is in port very late, you may dine at whatever time you wish. Obviously, you won't have your usual table and tablemates. Your serving staff may mention the revised arrangements the night before.

9 minutes ago, 2theship said:

It has been our experience that anytime the ship is in port very late, you may dine at whatever time you wish. Obviously, you won't have your usual table and tablemates. Your serving staff may mention the revised arrangements the night before.

Is this announced in Patters ? We are Anytime, but this could give us more flexibility on those days.