JADE CRUISE CANCELED DURING CRUISE

18 minutes ago, sxycplsrq said:

We are in the Owners Suite onboard.  So at least we have a nice room.  Information is very scant. We are all “quarantined on the ship” however.  They will not grant shore leave.  This part sucks as I would like to go into San Juan and enjoy the day.  Will post when we hear something.  

Once you get the letter, everything will happen very quickly.  That is probably why they won't let anyone go ashore.  Take my advice and start packing now.  You will be rushed off once they nail everything down.

No shore leave is being granted.  Announcement just came on. If guests have made flight arrangements on their own they have to get off by 5:30 today.  (Not sure of how they are to pay for their own hotel etc if flight leaves tomorrow.  

• Like 1

So very sorry for the cancellation of your cruise.  I would probably not be as positive as you all.

We are booked on the Jade  Nov. 26 to Panama Canal also.  Since we are driving down from Ohio I hope we get info soon as to whether or not this cruise will go.  I was going to use today to pack but will probably wait now.

I guess there is little concrete information what is really wrong with the ship, length of time to fix, get parts, etc.  This is my 36th cruise and it has never happened before.  I have been lucky.

Be safe on your travels home and book those replacement cruises soon so you can put this behind you.

1 minute ago, riddle said:

One thing I forgot.  I wonder why it is so imperative to get passengers off the ship?  You could have used it as a "hotel" for the duration of the cruise and came and went as you wished.  

The ship may have to be moved to a repair facility. Also, to reduce food and housekeeping expenses.

Edited by broberts

So everyone has to stay on board the ship until flight arrangements are made and then they all have to be off the ship ASAP?

BTW, being in a US Territory, my cell phone service (Verizon) always worked fine.  I could get texts, data and calls no problem, so  cruise line announcements on departure plans would be received via my phone.

4 minutes ago, RaginCajunCruisers337 said:

Are they scheduling flights back at the front desk? Haven’t heard this info yet until now? 

I had read in one of the first posts  that NCL was chartering flights back to MIA for passengers going home that way.

7 minutes ago, RaginCajunCruisers337 said:

What info were you told about flights back? 

I havent heard anything else. They did not have any information about tomorrow flights yet.  They are supposed to be setting the flights up and letting everyone know at their cabin.  

I can understand keeping people in one place and then disembarking guests in a somewhat orderly fashion. Was this the ship's first port of call? They probably also don't want to pay the shore staff for security and all the other expenses for letting folks come and go. Since the cruise became free by this incident, they're minimizing the outside costs (besides what they're going to have to expense on the chartered planes). Chartering planes at this time of year is a pretty penny!

Speculation: Given the length of time they have to initiate a fix, hopefully future sailings will go as planned. I was scheduled to sail on the Radiance of the Seas earlier this year when a propulsion issue came up on the prior cruise. With three days notice, they cancelled the cruise and gave us a 100% future cruise credit. That was RCCL. It's nice NCL is at least extending this to current cruisers. The Radiance was repaired at wet dock but had to have divers go down and fix the pod and the propellers. Hopefully that's what it takes here and she doesn't have to limp to a dry dock.

All the best to the folks on the ship... at least you were docked when the announcement came!

An officer told me that as soon as all passengers are off the ship they will move at 5 knots to a repair facility near Miami (Not sure which one he is referring to and personally I wouldn’t take anyone’s word at face value).  

The bottom line is they want all pax off the ship ASAP so they can move forward with their repair plan to hopefully ensure upcoming sailings are not affected.  

Edited by ms Eden
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ms Eden said:

An officer told me that as soon as all passengers are off the ship they will move at 5 knots to a repair facility near Miami (Not sure which one he is referring to and personally I wouldn’t take anyone’s word at face value).  

The bottom line is they want all pax off the ship ASAP so they can move forward with their repair plan to hopefully ensure upcoming sailings are not affected.  

Sounds like the ship is heading to Freeport, Bahamas then for repairs. It's not far from Miami at all. Question is, do they have last-minute room if the ship needs to be yanked out of the water for the repair?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sxycplsrq said:

We are in the Owners Suite onboard.  So at least we have a nice room.  Information is very scant. We are all “quarantined on the ship” however.  They will not grant shore leave.  This part sucks as I would like to go into San Juan and enjoy the day.  Will post when we hear something.  

A little off topic but are you in the DOS? If you are, how do you like it? We are in it in February. Hope everything works out for you.

2 hours ago, riddle said:

One thing I forgot.  I wonder why it is so imperative to get passengers off the ship?  You could have used it as a "hotel" for the duration of the cruise and came and went as you wished.  

As someone else mentioned, may have to move ship to a repair facility or dry dock...  Not to mention, they may not have the option to stay docked at their current location considering other ships going and coming.

2 hours ago, riddle said:

We were on the aforementioned Gem in 2017 when they had an issue in Barbados.  In order to make repairs (even wet dock), they must take the ship out of service and can not have passengers on board (they can have crew).  About 50 of us that did not fly back to NYC, were moved to a hotel while the ship was repaired, then we reboarded and took the ship back to NYC.  NCL was forced to cancel one sailing as our issue happened very late in the cruise and we were already at the most sourthern point of our cruise.  Because this issue happened early in the cruise and the distance back to the next cruise port of embarkation is closer, hopefully the next cruise will sail as scheduled.

Good Luck to all and safe travels during this holiday time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ms Eden said:

what if you dont want to fly?

or afraid to fly?

3 minutes ago, Wizpharm2 said:

We were on the aforementioned Gem in 2017 when they had an issue in Barbados.  In order to make repairs (even wet dock), they must take the ship out of service and can not have passengers on board (they can have crew).  About 50 of us that did not fly back to NYC, were moved to a hotel while the ship was repaired, then we reboarded and took the ship back to NYC.  NCL was forced to cancel one sailing as our issue happened very late in the cruise and we were already at the most sourthern point of our cruise.  Because this issue happened early in the cruise and the distance back to the next cruise port of embarkation is closer, hopefully the next cruise will sail as scheduled.

Good Luck to all and safe travels during this holiday time.

It was a good cruise with a bad ending, for sure.  Funny that people mention setting up their flights.  The first thing they told us is that our arrangements would not be negotiable, and that is the way it had to be in order to make it work.  Hopefully NCL won't be showing these folks the door in the middle of the night, like they did with us.

2 minutes ago, vince_g said:

It was a good cruise with a bad ending, for sure.  Funny that people mention setting up their flights.  The first thing they told us is that our arrangements would not be negotiable, and that is the way it had to be in order to make it work.  Hopefully NCL won't be showing these folks the door in the middle of the night, like they did with us.

Since they are in US territory, they might not have the custom/immigration issues we had where everyone neeed to be “checked into” Barbados before they could be “checked out” at the airport.  That contributed to the 2am breakfast call for those on the first plane out.  We did meet folks that passed on the assigned flight and were “allowed” to schedule their own return flights.  NCL paid for one night in a hotel in Barbados if needed.