Norwegian Jade mechanical issue

shof515

We had a Royal Caribbean cruise from Sydney to NZ cancelled in April due to azipod failure.   The compensation was about the same as NCL announced in the letter.

Fortunately, we managed to find a land tour that actually gave us more to see than the cruise would have provided, and we had a credit toward another cruise as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

We had a Royal Caribbean cruise from Sydney to NZ cancelled in April due to azipod failure.   The compensation was about the same as NCL announced in the letter.

Fortunately, we managed to find a land tour that actually gave us more to see than the cruise would have provided, and we had a credit toward another cruise as well.

Yeah I'm thinking Azipod issue that requires a drydocking. Hence why they need all pax off the ship ASAP. If so her next cruise will def be cancelled but keep in mind this is all conjecture at this point.

Wow that is disappointing to those on board 😞

Now I'm thinking, I'm booked on Jade for a trans atlantic in April, what the hell happens if something like this happens in the middle of the Atlantic ocean with land thousands of miles away?? Not just the Jade but any ship.

Calm my fears fellow cruisers

4 minutes ago, njkate said:

Now I'm thinking, I'm booked on Jade for a trans atlantic in April, what the hell happens if something like this happens in the middle of the Atlantic ocean with land thousands of miles away?? Not just the Jade but any ship.

Don't fear getting stranded in the middle of the Atlantic.

Transatlantic cruises carry extra long oars.

You'll get back and you'll get in shape! 😀

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, njkate said:

Without knowing exactly what the failure is, or how extensive, I would say that this is a situation where the USCG has prohibited the ship from sailing until repairs are made.  That does not make the ship unseaworthy, it just means that the USCG wants to ensure protection of the harbor and coastal waters of Puerto Rico should something else befall the Jade's ability to navigate.  However, as stated, this does not make the ship unseaworthy, and if this had happened in the middle of a trans-Atlantic, the ship would proceed normally, though perhaps more slowly, to its next port.

This may not require a drydock, as there are no dry docks suitable in Puerto Rico at this time, but they may need to move away from the cruise terminal for other ships to use the dock, while the ship goes to a "lay berth" where underwater or internal repairs can be completed.

Apparently, the Jade is going to be towed to Miami Wednesday morning.  How long will that take?  And what kind of repair might be needed if the ship can't sail under its own power?  All NCL is saying about the problem is that it is a mechanical issue.  No mention of azipods/propulsion. 

The Jewel is also having problems and cruising at slower speeds to Australia.  Again, only information being given is that it is a mechanical issue.  

36 minutes ago, herdingdogmom said:

Apparently, the Jade is going to be towed to Miami Wednesday morning.  How long will that take?  And what kind of repair might be needed if the ship can't sail under its own power?  All NCL is saying about the problem is that it is a mechanical issue.  No mention of azipods/propulsion. 

The Jewel is also having problems and cruising at slower speeds to Australia.  Again, only information being given is that it is a mechanical issue.  

Not sure why they would tow to Miami, when Freeport, Bahamas is a half day closer.  It will take about a week, if your info is correct (source?, just interested, not questioning).  It sounds to me like she got rope or fishing line caught in the azipods, which has melted and seized the propellers.  Pretty common problem where fishing is prevalent, but rare to get both props fouled at the same time.  It must be a real mess, if they aren't going to cut it free with divers in SJ.  Those ropes could also ruin the seal in the azipod that keeps the oil separate from the sea, and USCG won't let them sail with leaking seals that would put oil into the water.  Again, pretty rare to hit both props.

It may be that she can sail under extremely reduced power, and they are adding a tug to speed things up.

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure why they would tow to Miami, when Freeport, Bahamas is a half day closer.  It will take about a week, if your info is correct (source?, just interested, not questioning).  It sounds to me like she got rope or fishing line caught in the azipods, which has melted and seized the propellers.  Pretty common problem where fishing is prevalent, but rare to get both props fouled at the same time.  It must be a real mess, if they aren't going to cut it free with divers in SJ.  Those ropes could also ruin the seal in the azipod that keeps the oil separate from the sea, and USCG won't let them sail with leaking seals that would put oil into the water.  Again, pretty rare to hit both props.

It may be that she can sail under extremely reduced power, and they are adding a tug to speed things up.

CC posts from passengers still on the Jade waiting for charter flights were told they have to be off the ship tonight so that it can be towed.  Initially, they said it would be near Miami (which would likely mean Freeport).  If it really has to be towed, I wonder why NCL hasn't cancelled the Nov. 26 cruise yet.

The Jewel situation is most likely fishing lines when it was in Indonesia and divers are likely working on it now in Darwin where it had an overnight stop. 

1 hour ago, herdingdogmom said:

CC posts from passengers still on the Jade waiting for charter flights were told they have to be off the ship tonight so that it can be towed.  Initially, they said it would be near Miami (which would likely mean Freeport).  If it really has to be towed, I wonder why NCL hasn't cancelled the Nov. 26 cruise yet.

The Jewel situation is most likely fishing lines when it was in Indonesia and divers are likely working on it now in Darwin where it had an overnight stop. 

We are on the Jewel ... we received notice about itinerary change two days BEFORE we embarked in Singapore which meant the mechanical issue came up during the week before we embarked and before Jewel even reached the Indonesian waters. 

We we are in Darwin now. Nothing has been said so far. 

The major bummer on this cruise is they reduced the Great Barrier Reef days from 3 to ONE. NCL was able to secure a 2nd tour boat to GBR (we’re on it) but the Airlie Beach port of call has been dropped so no Whitsunday Islands cruise for us. 

Seas has been so calm and weather excellent so far on this cruise. 

31 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

We are on the Jewel ... we received notice about itinerary change two days BEFORE we embarked in Singapore which meant the mechanical issue came up during the week before we embarked and before Jewel even reached the Indonesian waters. 

We we are in Darwin now. Nothing has been said so far. 

My guess is the issue happened on the cruise before yours in Malaysia.  There was a post from someone on that cruise that they were late getting to the first port because the captain was told to slow down due to all the fisherman.  

So no sign of divers in the water in Darwin?  Seemed like the logical place to try and repair the issue.  I wonder if they are going to wait until Brisbane or Newcastle?

I sure would be nervous if I was on the next cruise to New Zealand. If the ship isn’t fixed they will lose Milford Sound like we did on the Star last year.  That is the highlight of that itinerary.

Enjoy your one day at the GBR

Edited by herdingdogmom

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

we were on Jade... Our cabin was in the back and we didn't feel anything, but mom's cabin was on deck 8, all the way forward, and she said the ship shook violently for some time twice. She got scared and packed a bag with warm clothing and meds. Then the announcement came.

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we were on Jade... Our cabin was in the back and we didn't feel anything, but mom's cabin was on deck 8, all the way forward, and she said the ship shook violently for some time twice. She got scared and packed a bag with warm clothing and meds. Then the announcement came.

Where was the ship at the time this happened?  Jade is currently at 16.1 knots, still just out of port, so it may still be speeding up.

Edited by chengkp75

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Where was the ship at the time this happened?

in Puerto Rico. We got onboard about 6 pm, had dinner at 6:30, and headed to the back of the ship about 8:30 pm.  We watched some ships leave from the Great Outdoors. It was Carnival Fascination, and we also saw Norwegian Gem leave. Then we went back to our cabins.

The announcement came after 9 pm, I think. Our kid wasn't sleeping yet, so it couldn't have been late.

Celebrity Equinox left after the announcement.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

16.7 kn now. Not so disabled. 

We’ll ask the Chief if the ship can make 16 kn on one azipod. 

You uare assuming that it is a pod issue, which may or may not be the case.