Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
theminnow

Customs/Immigration

Recommended Posts

We recently did a 5 night cruise on the Celebrity Infinity out of Port Everglades. Cruise was great, but this is a question about Customs. We purchased about $75 of stuff on the ship and about $100 in port (no alcohol or tobacco purchases). When we disembarked we never filled out a Customs Declaration form.We picked up our luggage and only showed our passport to the official as though he was immigration and not customs. He never asked us about any purchases we had made. Have things changed since we last cruised. It has been a while, but we always filled out Customs Declaration form when we returned from past cruises.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s been a few years since the Customs Declaration forms have been required of all travelers. 

 

BTW, we disembarked yesterday in Port Everglades from the Celebrity Silhouette’s TA, and it was one of the easiest disembarkations ever, especially with Global Entry. 

Edited by Turtles06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Customs and Immigration has seem to divert focus on where focus needs to be. Some U.S. Citizen coming off a cruise ship is not a high risk area. Customs has been laid back even in airports. Last August I flew in from London into Miami. Zero questions about customs, pretty much no customs at all. Did not even walk through an area where they might pick you out. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 5:44 PM, Flymia said:

Customs and Immigration has seem to divert focus on where focus needs to be. Some U.S. Citizen coming off a cruise ship is not a high risk area. Customs has been laid back even in airports. Last August I flew in from London into Miami. Zero questions about customs, pretty much no customs at all. Did not even walk through an area where they might pick you out. 

 

 

 

This doesn't sound right.  When you walk out of the baggage claim you would have to see customs.  Even last year there is almost always a decent line for customs at the exit.  I've never seen them not there at Miami.  Did you have only carry on luggage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BNBR said:

 

This doesn't sound right.  When you walk out of the baggage claim you would have to see customs.  Even last year there is almost always a decent line for customs at the exit.  I've never seen them not there at Miami.  Did you have only carry on luggage?

 

Nope, waited for my bags, picked them up and walk right out. Absolutely nothing. It was very odd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2018 at 9:20 PM, Flymia said:

 

Nope, waited for my bags, picked them up and walk right out. Absolutely nothing. It was very odd. 

This is exactly what happened to us just a couple of weeks ago. Fastest ever exit from plane to taxi. We did not have to use the kiosks, just straight to CBP and then from there to luggage claim (there was a sniffer dog in the luggage claim area) and then right out to the street. We thought it was odd too.

Edited by FionaMG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, Turtles06 said:

It’s been a few years since the Customs Declaration forms have been required of all travelers. 

 

BTW, we disembarked yesterday in Port Everglades from the Celebrity Silhouette’s TA, and it was one of the easiest disembarkations ever, especially with Global Entry. 

How did you utilize Global Entry?

Was there a seperate line off to the side similar to most airports?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 00Lusid said:

How did you utilize Global Entry?

Was there a seperate line off to the side similar to most airports?

 

Yes, there was a separate line; it wasn't marked, we had to ask where it was -- it was just a line monitored by a security guard, though no one ever asked to see our Global Entry cards.  That line took us immediately to a CBP agent, who looked quickly at our passports and faces, and waved us through.   (No machines as in airports.)

Edited by Turtles06

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...