Detained in Nassau with no help from cruise line.

lbsaady

27 minutes ago, broberts said:

In what century? I cannot recall a single Caribbean port area that did not require the presentation of id to gain entrance. As does Port Everglades.

We disagree, I can barely remember any.  You have to show your seapass card, yes.

• Like 1

The requirement to show a government issued picture ID can change from year to year, cruise to cruise. We always take our drivers license's whether directed to or not. I just slip mine in my money clip along with my Seapass Card and money. 

Edited by davekathy

44 minutes ago, davekathy said:

The requirement to show a government issued picture ID can change from year to year, cruise to cruise. We always take our drivers license's whether directed to or not. I just slip mine in my money clip along with my Seapass Card and money. 

We have found that it can also depend on the time of day.

At St John' s we had to show photo ID in the morning but not in the afternoon on the same day.

We did not have to show our picture ids in Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Jamaica this week to get back on the ship.  However we had them with us at every port because you just never know plus to use my credit card I needed it each time.  Children these days seem so coddled that anything that does not go exactly perfect is a cause of upset and fear that takes days or longer to get over instead of it being a lesson learned and moving on with your life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keksie said:

We did not have to show our picture ids in Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Jamaica this week to get back on the ship.  However we had them with us at every port because you just never know plus to use my credit card I needed it each time.  Children these days seem so coddled that anything that does not go exactly perfect is a cause of upset and fear that takes days or longer to get over instead of it being a lesson learned and moving on with your life.

Did you leave the port area in all three locations?

Edited by broberts

my apologies to rudeness to the OP. My nephew accidently shot himself in the face last Sunday (Nov 18) and I have been without sleep. We thank God for U of M hospital that has caught problems before they became fatal. Nevertheless, that doesn't excuse the rudeness. 

but i still ascertain, that at the show the night before, the CD always reminds the crowd to bring photo ID

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broberts said:

In what century? I cannot recall a single Caribbean port area that did not require the presentation of id to gain entrance. As does Port Everglades.

We have been to many Caribbean ports and never had to show any ID, just ships pass to get off and back on the ship.

Yes we left the port area in all three ports.  One ship excursion and 2 independent excursions.  But you never know so it is best to be prepared with a picture id just in case.  Easy enough to carry with your ship pass and a credit card (also just in case).

Interesting that this person who posted this thread with an INCREDIBLY deceptive title has responded only once here to claim it was not in the compass (no proof). Another confirmed this (tho no proof).

OP/family was NOT detained, simply pulled aside as they had no ID, which anyone who has done any research, cruised once, bothered to read the Compass, listen to announcements or just has common sense to not enter a foreign country without ID would have known. Additionally, others know that all the port would have done is send them back for ID. The description makes it sound much more traumatic than that. 

With the extensive information available on the internet I have not simpathy.

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We have been to many Caribbean ports and never had to show any ID, just ships pass to get off and back on the ship.

Bags searched and photo ID in many of the ports I have been through.  Have found some staff are much more strict than others. Some see a lanyard with a ship’s ID and wave you through.  Have found Mexico, especially Puerto Vallarta, to be very strict and also Carteghena. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Regarding cruise compass and information about ID, have often found all that information on the cruise compass insert - the one that gives you a map, shopping information, things to do on the island, etc.  Gives time to be back on board and so on.  Not always on the front page of the Cruise Compass. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles
  • Like 1