Inflatable Baby/Infant Pool on Lido deck - Any issues?

TheCruisingKids

Since kids in diapers aren't allowed in the pools, we decided we would take an inflatable infant tub with us and just blow it up on the Lido deck next to our pool chairs (or by the pool).

I skimmed NCL's FAQs, cruise contract, etc, and can't find anything remotely close that would prevent us from having one.

Any idea on the legitimacy?

For context, see picture - it's pretty small, less than 3 feet in length - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Parent-s-Choice-Inflatable-Safety-Bathtub/147875537

2d9f5a75-e10d-4912-8175-0c1c0f6c0fc9_1.348d614820037ed80383f0e223a36dfc.jpg

Edited by TheCruisingKids

What ship?  We brought our 9 month old son in April and had a blow up pool all ready to go but there was a wading pool in the baby area.  And now I have a blow up pool full of balls in my house...LOL 

I have seen other parents before I was a parent with the blow up pools by the pool.  It's where I got the idea actually.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BalconyGal said:

What ship?  We brought our 9 month old son in April and had a blow up pool all ready to go but there was a wading pool in the baby area.  And now I have a blow up pool full of balls in my house...LOL 

I have seen other parents before I was a parent with the blow up pools by the pool.  It's where I got the idea actually.  

While it looked like a baby pool, it wasn’t for diapered children, there are zero splash areas on NCL ships for those not potty trained. On the few ships on other lines that allow it, there isn’t standing water.

38 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

How and where will you dispose of the water? 

You could poor it down the bathroom drain, or toilet. People do it all of the time. It doesn't hold much water, it's just to give the baby something to splash in. Personally I don't see what the big deal is in having babies use the Kiddie pool, if people think for one moment that kids don't pee in it, then they are just in denial. We will be traveling with our two grandchildren 3 and 14 months. While the 3 year old is potty trained, obviously the 14 month old isn't. We will have 8 beach days, so we will let her go in the water at the beach. But what is to stop people from saying their kids are potty trained and letting them in the pools anyway. I would rather have a little "tub" and make sure my child is only sitting in their own pee....That's just me though. Luckily for me mine are all grown, so I won't have to worry about it :classic_biggrin: Daughter and hubby will be on the cruise, it's their problem

2 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

You could poor it down the bathroom drain, or toilet. People do it all of the time. It doesn't hold much water, it's just to give the baby something to splash in. Personally I don't see what the big deal is in having babies use the Kiddie pool, if people think for one moment that kids don't pee in it, then they are just in denial. We will be traveling with our two grandchildren 3 and 14 months. While the 3 year old is potty trained, obviously the 14 month old isn't. We will have 8 beach days, so we will let her go in the water at the beach. But what is to stop people from saying their kids are potty trained and letting them in the pools anyway. I would rather have a little "tub" and make sure my child is only sitting in their own pee....That's just me though. Luckily for me mine are all grown, so I won't have to worry about it :classic_biggrin: Daughter and hubby will be on the cruise, it's their problem

It’s not the pee that’s the problem.  One poop and the pool/wading area is closed for cleaning. Serious business. 

16 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

You could poor it down the bathroom drain, or toilet. People do it all of the time. It doesn't hold much water, it's just to give the baby something to splash in.

Most guests won't go through the trouble of taking a full kiddie pool from the pool deck back to their stateroom or even to a public restroom. Most (unfortunately) will just dump the water wherever they happen to be. 

12 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Personally I don't see what the big deal is in having babies use the Kiddie pool, if people think for one moment that kids don't pee in it, then they are just in denial.

Pee is not a problem. Fecal matter (which swim diapers DO NOT completely hold) is a major problem

16 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

But what is to stop people from saying their kids are potty trained and letting them in the pools anyway.

Sadly, nothing. However, when a pool is closed for hours/days because of someone "letting them in the pool anyway", it's likely that the parent of the child will be nowhere to be found. 

12 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I would rather have a little "tub" and make sure my child is only sitting in their own pee....That's just me though.

Again, pee isn't a major health problem. The health issue from feces is. Using a little personal tub on a balcony might disturb neighbors but it won't make others sick nor would it cause a pool to be closed for proper cleaning. Even on a balcony, I would hope that the parent disposes of the water properly. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Again, pee isn't a major health problem. The health issue is. Using a little personal tub on a balcony might disturb neighbors but it won't make others sick nor would it cause a pool to be closed for proper cleaning. 

True, I guess that would be a good idea. On our cruise we have 8 beach days, so the 14 month old will survive not going into the water on sea days. The inflatable tub is good for bathing though, as even though we have connecting mini suites, ours don't have the tubs, as we are not in the family minis

12 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Most guests won't go through the trouble of taking a full kiddie pool from the pool deck back to their stateroom or even to a public restroom. Most (unfortunately) will just dump the water wherever they happen to be. 

Pee is not a problem. Fecal matter (which swim diapers DO NOT completely hold) is a major problem

Sadly, nothing. However, when a pool is closed for hours/days because of someone "letting them in the pool anyway", it's likely that the parent of the child will be nowhere to be found. 

Again, pee isn't a major health problem. The health issue from feces is. Using a little personal tub on a balcony might disturb neighbors but it won't make others sick nor would it cause a pool to be closed for proper cleaning. Even on a balcony, I would hope that the parent disposes of the water properly. 

This new format is scary. The only comment I made was that pee is not the issue, that one poop will cause the pool to be shut down for cleaning. Somehow my name got attached to  a number of comments. 

39 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

This new format is scary. The only comment I made was that pee is not the issue, that one poop will cause the pool to be shut down for cleaning. Somehow my name got attached to  a number of comments. 

Yeah, I see what you mean. 

If you quote someone who quoted someone, you can't tell which person will get the credit for the quote. 

If you highlight someone's post and the "quote selection" balloon pops up, I think it goes to the latter person's post and not the original. 

All of my responses were to "cathi007". 

Not to start anything, but if you brought a small blowup wading pool, you could probably fill in one of the outdoor showers in the pool area and also drain into that as well slowly.  Swim diaper for child in blowup pool may help with any major issues.  

• Like 1

Norwegian Pearl is the ship, not cruising till May anyways

As for filling and disposing of the water, I was going to use the shower on the deck else.

If that idea fails then I'm stating my 13 month old child is potty trained. They may be horrific at it... but the quality of their training isn't part of the rules. Besides I'd never take them to the regular pools anyways just the kiddy pool that's inches deep.

Alright... bring on the angry replies

Edited by TheCruisingKids

4 minutes ago, TheCruisingKids said:

If that idea fails then I'm stating my 13 month old child is potty trained. They may be horrific at it... but the quality of their training isn't part of the rules. Besides I'd never take them to the regular pools anyways just the kiddy pool that's inches deep.

Screw the rules and screw everyone else, amirite? You do you! 

Maybe it'll be your kid that gets sick from someone else's poop.

17 minutes ago, TheCruisingKids said:

Norwegian Pearl is the ship, not cruising till May anyways

As for filling and disposing of the water, I was going to use the shower on the deck else.

Not angry, but wonder how you would feel if your child got really sick because someone else brought their un-potty trained child in the kiddie pool and they pooped in the pool.  I'm guessing you wouldn't have an issue with.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, cathi007 said:

I am sure your are bright enough to know that it is NOT the pee that is the issue.  It is the 'other' matter .... 

3 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

So, are you going to complain about NCL closing the pool if your kid poops in it and it's unusable for a day or two out of your cruise while it's decontaminated?  Asking for a friend...

I saw this happen on a RCI cruise ... a LONG time ago.  Pool was out of operation for 2 days while they drained .... scoured ... and refilled. 

7 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

I saw this happen on a RCI cruise ... a LONG time ago.  Pool was out of operation for 2 days while they drained .... scoured ... and refilled. 

Exactly...  So I see a few things happening here (maybe not OP but could potentially see this with anyone who decides to go down this route)...

They break the rules and decide to take their kid into the pool with a diaper on...

1. their kid poops in pool and it's closed for a day or two to decontaminate and they complain about not having use of the kiddie pool on their cruise.

2. another parent sees them do this so they decide to take their kid in the pool now and that kid poops....  original parent complains when pool is closed for extended time.

3. another kid poops and original kid gets sick, pool closed, parent dealing with sick kid and complains about how NCL doesn't keep their facilities clean because her kid got sick at the pool.

4. someone else happens in the kiddie pool that no one has even thought about and then parent complains about that too because NCL isn't doing their job keeping the pool clean or open or something.

Again, not saying the OP would or will do any of this but I've seen the way some parents act on cruise ships and it's all about them and their kids, all others be damned.  And I can definitely see some parents acting like this when they caused the problem to start with.  They will find a way to blame NCL for the problem they started.  😕

• Like 1

It’s sad how some parents feel so entitled that they break rules, knowing they are endangering other children. We didn’t take our 5 kids on a cruise until the youngest were 4 and had been potty trained for 2 years. We stuck with land based vacations where pools could be filtered to allow swim diapers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rtkenmore said:

Exactly...  So I see a few things happening here (maybe not OP but could potentially see this with anyone who decides to go down this route)...

They break the rules and decide to take their kid into the pool with a diaper on...

1. their kid poops in pool and it's closed for a day or two to decontaminate and they complain about not having use of the kiddie pool on their cruise.

2. another parent sees them do this so they decide to take their kid in the pool now and that kid poops....  original parent complains when pool is closed for extended time.

3. another kid poops and original kid gets sick, pool closed, parent dealing with sick kid and complains about how NCL doesn't keep their facilities clean because her kid got sick at the pool.

4. someone else happens in the kiddie pool that no one has even thought about and then parent complains about that too because NCL isn't doing their job keeping the pool clean or open or something.

Again, not saying the OP would or will do any of this but I've seen the way some parents act on cruise ships and it's all about them and their kids, all others be damned.  And I can definitely see some parents acting like this when they caused the problem to start with.  They will find a way to blame NCL for the problem they started.  😕

You should add to #3 and parents sue NCL because their child got sick from a kid pooping in the pool.

Just now, NLH Arizona said:

You should add to #3 and parents sue NCL because their child got sick from a kid pooping in the pool.

BINGO!!

It's the whole me to attitude of so many these days... The same principle applies with variations of a cruise...  If it changes due to a hurricane and ports get cancelled, people are pissed off they missed a port...  But if the ship sailed into the hurricane anyway or near it anyway, and got into rough seas, those same people complain about not being able to use outdoor areas of the ship or rocking too much.  NCL, unfortunately, is damned if they and damned if they don't.

• Like 3